Deer roast recipe

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deerstalker

Deer roast recipe

Post by Deerstalker »

My wife wants a recipe for a deer roast that my son thinks came from a 2.5 year old doe. Can someone point me in the right direction & thanks? The roast is from the front of the back lag.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Riflemanz

Re: Deer roast recipe

Post by Riflemanz »

Remove all silver skin and fat.put roast in slow cooker with a can of cream of mushroom soup and one can water and salt and pepper.add I onion,carrots and peeled potatoes.i also add fresh mushrooms too.cook 6 hrs on slow.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've got one in the slow cooker right now for tonight. I marinated it in Cola for a day & 1/2, then put it in the slowcooker, long with some cut up onions, seasoned it with Montreal steak spice, poured a bit of boiling water over it, and we'll have it for supper tonight.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

There's only one wrong way to cook venison, over cook it. A crock pot is the best answer....... :mrgreen:

I like mine somewhere between "Ow" and 'Help me I'm bleeding"........ :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Riflemanz wrote:Remove all silver skin and fat.put roast in slow cooker with a can of cream of mushroom soup and one can water and salt and pepper.add I onion,carrots and peeled potatoes.i also add fresh mushrooms too.cook 6 hrs on slow.
I add a pkg. of dry brown gravy mix or onion gravy mix to the mushroom soup. Seasons it really well .
strum

Post by strum »

awshucks wrote:There's only one wrong way to cook venison, over cook it. A crock pot is the best answer....... :mrgreen:

I like mine somewhere between "Ow" and 'Help me I'm bleeding"........ :mrgreen:
that's what we have learned too Shucks. we cook our deer much rarer than we would beef .
venison is best very rare or cooked for hours. in between is a recipe for leather.. :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 empty can full of black coffee
1 packet of onion soup mix
1 tea spoon of steak spice
put in slow cooker for 6/8 hours and enjoy! I tried this in the summer and had 4 couples over thinking the men would try it the women no! :lol: Everbody loved it :D :D :D
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
rayman

Post by rayman »

My wife does ham roasts in the crock pot with a couple cans of peeled tomatoes and a pack of soup mix - french onion or something similar. I think the acid in the tomatoes does very good things to the deer meat. Let it go until it pulls all apart, then a couple more hours. :)
catcher

Post by catcher »

X2 on the lipton onion soup mix , carrots and potatoes , celery etc.
sounds like you are describing your roast might be a sirloin tip which I keep for a rare roast , that I keep for either the BBQ and cook on medium heat on rotisserie until internal temp is 125 or 130 degrees. Or in the oven at 350 for about an hour and same internal temp of 130 . I keep my tougher cuts of meat for the pot roasts like shoulder roasts and then I usually do the lipton soup mix recipe. Good luck and good eating.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
timbow

Post by timbow »

The above recipes are all good. The only thing I add is 1 cup sweet vermouth, or a cup of good red wine.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Does anyone brine their venison? I like to brine big pieces like hams, shoulders, or roasts for up to 24 hrs under refrigeration using a solution of kosher salt, sugar (it counteracts the salt), water, and whatever spices I'm in the mood for. It draws the blood out and with it a lot of the gamey taste, and puts some flavor into the meat from the spices. The water will be pink and the meat a nice gray afterwards. My family is kinda iffy on deer meat, they wont eat it if its gamey tasting. It also adds some moisture to the meat too.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Last roast I cooked I injected soy and Worcestershire sauce. Mixed 1/2 an 1/2 with some light brown sugar heated up to melt the sugar then, I let it sit in the fridge over night then I put salt and black pepper rub all over the roast then placed on the smoker for 3 hours before I covered for 2 more hours. temp 2 to 225 degrees ...make sure inside temp reaches 165-170
If you like instead of brown sugar for the injection you can add maple syrup or honey. Save your bacon for breakfast :wink:
If you don't have a smoker use a little liquid smoke in the injection and cook it in the oven inside or don't use liquid smoke at all.
Enjoy !
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I usually marinate in milk (it's supposed to help with any gameyness) and a random combination of soy sauce, red wine vinegar, whatever salad dressing I have handy, montreal steak spice, left over wine (what's that? LOL) and franks hot sauce... . whatever I happen to grab.

I tried the coke with hardly any milk last time and it was good but definitely had a stronger flavor than when I use more milk.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

I take a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and lay the hind quarter on it. A package of Lipton golden onion soup mix. 4 or 5 bacon slices laid across. Close the foil tightly. Fire up the Brinkmanship smoker with water pan removed. Bout 6 hours later take it to the spam counter, grab the bone twist it, pulls right out.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

I have tried it several different ways. In my opinion this is the easiest and the best way to cook a venison roast. Place it in the crock pot frozen add 1/4 cup of bacon grease and 1 bottle of beer and cook on low for about 8 to 10 hours. You will be amazed at the flavor and tenderness of the meat. The gravy is to die for! Don't be afraid to roll the meat over a few times through out the day. Enjoy.