One Reason aka Why not to take a Poor Shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

needmorebacon

Re: One Reason aka Why not to take a Poor Shot

Post by needmorebacon »

Mister B wrote:Go to Google Images and type in 'Arrow in Deer head'
Lots of gruesome photos there. Look for the one with the arrow in the man's if you have a tight rectal sphincter.
OH MY....that my friends is nasty.
2011 Axiom
GT Laser II-Right Helical
175gr. Slick Tricks
353 gr. overall bolt
MJK

Post by MJK »

The one with the arrow through the jaw is from my area. It looks like a photoshop job to me. No way would the arrow stop there for one thing, another is no damage to the jaw itself, plus thats one old broadhead does anyone still use them? The wacko animal rights people around here will stop at nothing to make us hunters look bad. And no real hunter would take that shot in the first place.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I wondered the same thing. That looks like one of the old Bear razorheads glued on a wood shaft. It doesn't take much to deflect a shot though, an unseen limb in low light could throw a shot off that much.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Those arrowheads are still sold.

Likely the shots were taking with a much lower poundage bow than we xbow shooters are used to shooting.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

MJK wrote:The one with the arrow through the jaw is from my area. It looks like a photoshop job to me. No way would the arrow stop there for one thing, another is no damage to the jaw itself, plus thats one old broadhead does anyone still use them? The wacko animal rights people around here will stop at nothing to make us hunters look bad. And no real hunter would take that shot in the first place.

You're right, no real hunter would! Unfortunately, there are many slobs out there with and without hunting licenses who shoot at movement or sound and spotlight. That's why I stopped gun hunting about 18 years ago!!!! At least during archery season the typical ranges are short enough that only a true moron would not be able to identify the target and pick the shot, but........ They ARE out there!!!! :shock:
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

greetings. not trying to stir the s*#t pot hear guys, but this pic just does not seem right. to clean! just sayin'... nj is a major anti-hunting state.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Fishous

Post by Fishous »

Lake shooter wrote:... That's why I stopped gun hunting about 18 years ago!!!! At least during archery season the typical ranges are short enough that only a true moron would not be able to identify the target and pick the shot, but........ They ARE out there!!!! :shock:
Did you just get on the internet today? There are plenty of morons out there! Everyday it seems like they get keep getting dumber.
Mike
Excalibur Matrix 355
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Just like rifle hunters who think a head shot is a good idea, I remember seeing a deer with its jaw blown off, starving is a brutal way to die never mind the pain it suffered.

Sh!t happens to well intentioned people that's for sure, but there are some people who do not think before pulling the trigger.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Fishous wrote:
Lake shooter wrote:... That's why I stopped gun hunting about 18 years ago!!!! At least during archery season the typical ranges are short enough that only a true moron would not be able to identify the target and pick the shot, but........ They ARE out there!!!! :shock:
Did you just get on the internet today? There are plenty of morons out there! Everyday it seems like they get keep getting dumber.
What's your point, or maybe you need to read my post again. How can I be more clear about morons being in the woods with hunting gear than what I already said: "But....... They AREA out there!!!! :shock: "

:?: :?: :?:
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I had my doubts too but this was for real, just saw this video on TWC.
Good news--they found the deer and the arrow has been removed.

http://www.weather.com/video/how-did-th ... this-41070?
Matrix 380
Exomag
gators

Post by gators »

I think this is fairly rare. Wounding loss is a part of hunting but most wait for a good shot and are successful. I see dozens of deer each year and old wounds are rare. Having said that every year 1-2 deer show up with wounds associated with bad shot selection. Like with everything there are folks that are poor at what they do and those that have little respect for the game the hunt. Fortunately this is not the majority. I get enraged when I hear about poor shots and wounded game.

This pic is real and was of a deer that lived for weeks even eating after the injury, it eventually was hit by a car, possibly because of being blinded. This is a reminder to all to practice with their equipment and hunt ethically. I would love to meet the person that took this shot.

Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

That's really sad. I might be the odd one here but it still gives me a twinge of pain to kill a deer, any way you slice it it's taking the life of a beautiful creature. I've passed on countless shots because I felt like I didnt have a good clean shot, but sadly there are plenty of guys out there that just throw up and shoot and hope they hit it somewhere. :x
Matrix 380
Exomag
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

I agree there are some morons that take Iffy shots There are alot of things in the woods to deflect those arrows to so sometimes there is know choice in the matter Im one of those people If I cant see good at dusk to pic out 1/4 Inch twigs at ten yards that were there 15 minutes earlier I get down and go home some people hang out to long and alot of the times the results are bad But for the most part the hardcore hunters are good ethical people
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things