Ideal shot distance?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bolt Outdoors

Ideal shot distance?

Post by Bolt Outdoors »

Picked up my first crossbow this year (Matrix 380) so any recommendations are much appreciated. I was at a shop earlier today and the fella behind the counter uses a regular compound bow (not crossbow). He recommended keeping shots within 35 - 40 yards due to string jumping. Does his recommended distance carryover for crossbows that shoot around 380 fps or do I have a little more room?
Matrix Bulldog 380
frisky

Re: Ideal shot distance?

Post by frisky »

PERSONALY, I shoot 30 yards or less, much less. My shot this year was 50 foot. Last years was 15 foot or less. :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
needmorebacon

Post by needmorebacon »

frisky wrote:PERSONALY, I shoot 30 yards or less, much less. My shot this year was 50 foot. Last years was 15 foot or less. :D :D
/\ This
2011 Axiom
GT Laser II-Right Helical
175gr. Slick Tricks
353 gr. overall bolt
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Ideal . . .ideal shot distance is where you have your crosshairs set. No joking. If your crosshairs are at "zero" at 20 yards, then that's your ideal distance.

I set up for a 20 yard shot when hunting and that's the distance I practice the most. 20 yards is my ideal shot distance.

String jump is not an issue under 40 yards for you . . .even 45 yards, you are probably OK as far as string jump. However, that is not an ideal distance.

You need to start at your hunting spot and work your way to the practice range when determining your ideal shot.

Practice every possible shot closer(I had one at about 10 feet, ground level and failed because I was too close). Practice every yardage you want. However, spend some quality time with the most likely distance you will encounter while hunting.

Only shoot a distance while hunting that you have practiced and feel extremely confident in hitting your mark.

You picked a good bow!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

I have a 2008 exocet 200 that I built my arrows to be dead on out to 50 yards with the slick tricks I use....I shoot out to 50 with them regularly, but I will not shoot at anything that seems to be on any kind of alert....I have 4 deer that are from 10, 20, 30 and 50 yards that all died within 30 seconds :wink: ....so ideal to one is not ideal to the next....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I shoot the Matrix 355, but I didn't buy it for the speed. I wanted the compact design for treestand and my daughter use. I currently shoot a 470 grain arrow with broadhead combined. I keep my shots at live game to 30 yards maximum. I do practise out to 40 yards.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

sumner4991 wrote:If your crosshairs are at "zero" at 20 yards, then that's your ideal distance.
I couldn't agree more. Actually, I prefer to keep the deer at least that far away from me. I prefer a 20 yard shot over something extremely close. When movement, scent and sound are all factors in those moments before a shot sometimes one of those will trip you up if the deer is right in your lap. 20 yards is ideal to me.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I shoot my Vixen out to 60 yds - even more for novelty shoots.

BUT my personal limit for hunting with my Vixen under 30 yards.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Idel shot distance ? As in huntin game ? I prefer them 15 yds to 50 yds, as long as i have an open hole to poke me arrow thru i am good at those yardages
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You are still using archery gear and the advice to keep it under 40 yards is actually pushing it a bit I keep my shots under 35 yards with my Equinox deer can and do move at string noise or just move because they felt like it and long shots just invite trouble and wounded deer.
Ideal distance for me is the first good shooting lane under 35 yards were the deer is not locked in to me and I have a good angel to the vitals, twang , thwack . wait an hour retrieve deer :D
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Point man

Post by Point man »

Statistically deer are shot at 7 yards. 21 feet
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

I shoot my Matrix 380 out to 75 yds. I have 2 deer that are from 20 and 30 yards, both arrow pass through and piled up within 50 yard. The most important for me is to harvest the beast.
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
Bolt Outdoors

Post by Bolt Outdoors »

Very helpful info. I practice at 40 yards and feel confident at that range….but (thanks to your comments) it looks like I need to start practicing at different ranges to learn how to compensate. I was fortunate to get my first crossbow deer/buck a few weeks ago at 34 yards, and while I hit the vitals, it was toward the top end so need to learn how to adjust for closer shots. I plan on keeping shots within 45 yards as I get comfortable with the Matrix 380 and have already let a couple walk by that were around 55 yards….which was nerve racking…but the right thing to do in my mind. Good feed back on string jumping and looks like I should be in pretty good shape within 40 - 45 yards. Many thanks!
Last edited by Bolt Outdoors on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix Bulldog 380
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Absolutely, practice, practice, practice. Shoot at different yardages, angles, and elevations if possible so you know where the arrow is going to hit before you ever let it go. You know what kind of accuracy the bow is capable of, practice so you know what YOU are capable of.
You did the right thing, IMO 55 yds is waaay to long to shoot at a living animal, they tend to move. 1/2 step at 55 yds might mean a gutshot deer you may or may not find. For me 40 yds is my absolute max distance although actual longest shot has been 34 yds. Good luck hunting!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
mitch

Post by mitch »

Me too personal y I set up my tree stand to be 20 yard from the bait . before that I was to close and did get busted because of the noise and motion.