Buck Fever @ Age # 50?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Re: Buck Fever @ Age # 50?

Post by Cossack »

Not likely to end soon....my heart still skips a beat at the moment of truth and I'm 73, with a BUNCH of deer to my credit.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Amrap

Post by Amrap »

I think anyone with a passion for hunting that finally sees their buck of a lifetime would react the same way! It's too bad it didn't turn out the other way for you though. Good luck the rest of the season!
Matrix 355
Diablos with 150 BC (not very imaginative, but accurate)

"Put on your harness. If you fall today, you can't hunt tomorrow"
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

hankenhunter wrote:I get the shakes after the shot. If it ever stops, that's when it's time for me to hang up the bow for good.
Hank
YUP!! :wink:

My heart still HAMMERS when they approach - to the point I never understand why the deer ain't hearing it!
Passed up over 3 dozen bucks within range thus far this fall, and even when I know I am not going to shoot, the Adrenaline Rush commences!
After each of those I have taken with the bow over the past 4 years, I find The Shakes take over. Happy with that, as it was very rarely the case with my rifle any more. Brought those feelings back all over again, kind of like Starting Fresh all over again! :D

Hope that NEVER goes away!!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
strum

Post by strum »

Xbowkiller wrote:I am always talking to myself. I just keep repeating "Stay calm and pick a spot".
it should be "stay calm and nobody gets hurt" " cept the deer " 8)
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

I never got buck fever, but I sure the hell got doe fever :shock: ....every buck I have ever stuck an arrow in I never once skipped a heart beat....now when it comes to the ladies, it's a whole new ball game :roll: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Well, when you don't get buck or doe fever any more its time to take up: Spring gobbler, hog hunting with dogs at night, or saltwater fishing in the Gulf of Mex. Or you could take a squirming kid with you deer hunting to add a new dynamic. :)
frisky

Post by frisky »

To much time to look, it happens to the best of us. :(
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Hey it happens to us all at one time or another. Love hunting on the ground face to face and eye to eye such a real rush! :D
DanO

Post by DanO »

Great story. Just proves "your never too old to feel young!" Gotta love that shot of adrenaline! It happens everytime to me (well not usually that bad) and I have missed two nice deer because I forget to adjust for the range.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

What cheers me up when this happens is to think of all the work ahead of me that I just missed out on.
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I'm 74 and I feel your pain. Fri a.m. about 11:30, I saw a deer approaching quickly through thick brush. I picked up my Excalibur and at the same time I saw horns. Big horns! I wasn't sure which side of the tree he would pass on, but saw that I needed to turn 180 degrees. I turned and a deer was already through my shooting land. But wait! It was a doe, and the buck was still coming. When he got to an opening, I bleated. He Stopped, and I hurried up and MISSED! I've shot many, many deer with recurves, compound bows, guns,and crossbows. Some have been real dandies, but I totally came apart on Fri. This is the 3rd year I've hunted that buck, and the first time I've seen him in archery season. How can a grown (old) man miss a 20 yd broadside shot at a standing deer with a weapon capable of one hole accuracy? Another senior moment? I'm still crying. The only escape from my misery will be to get him or a bigger one this week. I'm just glad that it was a clean miss. The whole ordeal probably transpired in 10 seconds or less.
SALTYDOG

Post by SALTYDOG »

Thank you all...for your comment's....I've been in the hospital...since early November....not trying to be rude...I love this site....Saltydog...... :)
Zap

Post by Zap »

Its a lot different when your eye to eye from ground level.

Cool story!
Duck or Bleed.....
Waif

Post by Waif »

Ohh yes.
I have missed some bruisers!
Once in a great while it goes right.
When its a miss with me its not the equipment.
One of the biggest bucks I,ve seen was doing a knock down running battle while a doe came in and a yearling buck came in and butted the giants respectable opponent!
There was no possible way I could let go of the tree limb I was holding on to!
Missed another giant once with the only two broad heads with me and he walked up into near handshaking range. :oops:
Good times. A little fever and the worlds troubles are far away because when we close our eyes we see true unbridled hunting passion in a missed deer moving out.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.