What is your Favorite Camo?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Drew

What is your Favorite Camo?

Post by Drew »

So what camo is everyone using? What are the pros and cons of what you do use?

Also, what kind of boots?

I have nothing but great things to say about Cabelas Wooltimate Windshear pants and jacket. Super quiet and warm. If I changed anything I would have gotten the bibs.

Really need advice on the boot situation. I've been wearing my upland/rabbit hunting boots which are just leather laceups. So I need some good insulated/waterproof boots. Any suggestions?
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
JPjunkie

Re: What is your Favorite Camo?

Post by JPjunkie »

Muck Boots
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
needmorebacon

Post by needmorebacon »

I've always been partial to Lacrosse 18" burly no insulation, good price and great grip on the tread.
2011 Axiom
GT Laser II-Right Helical
175gr. Slick Tricks
353 gr. overall bolt
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Can't help you wid neither. I wear jus whatever i own in my stands to keep as warm as i can. I was recommended Balkin rubber boots by a friend & Sportsmans Guide has them. I hope to purchase a pr. soon
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Camo - gray fleece lined hoodie = warm & quiet.
Boots - neoprene uppers/insulated rubber bottoms from the local farm supply store. Fairly durable and reasonably priced.
wabi
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D
needmorebacon wrote:I've always been partial to Lacrosse 18" burly no insulation, good price and great grip on the tread.
love these boots!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I go with Cabelas brand every time. You being in MI, it's a huge convenience to to to the store and try stuff on. I make the drive over all the time.

I have two pairs: rubber unisulated. Scent-free and perfect for all kinds of activity and hunting. Get the pair with the running shoe type sole. I wear them until it gets too cold. They are great for still hunting and early season days on stand.

The second pair I have is the 2000gr Thinsulate rubber boots, again with the athletic shoe type sole. This is a heavy boot but perfect for stand hunting or hunting on the ground in the snow. Warm as all hell!

They are rugged and don't leak and have a ridiculous warranty. I make up a reason to return each pair annually just because I can. They stand behind the product and replace it...no questions asked. Yes, it's pricey but I bought one pair of each 5y ago and keep bringing them back in the offseason to get a fresh pair.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

i love Predator camo
I use Lacrosse boots
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Camouflage pattern doesn't matter much. These detailed patterns are engineered to lure humans not hide from game.

I purchase all my hunting clothes on clearance after the seasons are over. I look for soft quiet materials that are waterproof. Most selections are in some type of camo pattern. Anything you have really works. I hunt the wind, so warm dry and quiet is all you need.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use a leaf suit, 3D cut outs of leaf patterns on a screen suit. The whole outfit will fit in a pocket and slip over anything you happen to be wearing.
The leaves break up a pattern excellently, especially if there is a breeze.
Mine are getting pretty tattered and torn from use, but I have never had a deer or turkey bust me because of an outline.
It can be worn with just shorts under it in hot weather, or over a full hunting suit in the cold.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I used fall for all the marketing BS and bought different patterns of camo clothing Took me a while but finally figured out it's all marketing and sales hype! For quite a few years now I have been wearing all black clothing, be it wool, fleece, or Levi material. Never have had an issue being seen I blend in, not matter what area/terrain/cover I am hunting. Has worked everytime and saved me a shitload of money
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

I have a mix of Realtree and MossyOak .No preference as it is the fit and feel I care most about.As for boots I like my Morrell Moc slip on's for the dry warmer weather.They are very comfortable .For the cold wet /snow I use my thick insulated water proof Columbias.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I layer with an outside light weight rain coat or waterproof outer layer. Like Andrew I buy when they are on close-out/sale. I just bought a Russel Outdoors rain coat for $29.95 at TSC. I see no big difference between that rain coat and the rain coats going for $100 to $200.
For boots it's Irish Setters but not full leather because of weight.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vhntr1

Post by vhntr1 »

Early season any kind of light weightcamo and muck boots when it gets cold I have found nothing better then king of the mountain wool.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Mucks are my favorite too.
Make sure to go one size up if you buy them though.
Years ago Bill T said he didn't like the Mucks because they tore up too quick, I couldn't figure out what he meant, but at that point I was just walking to a stand, not in the bush looking for deer.
Now, I burn through a pair a year.
Still the most comfortable boot I have wore. I have 3 weeks on this pair, 2 holes through the camo layer over the neoprene, but nothing leaking yet!
I have Mucks, Irish Setter, Boggs, Rocky, Kenetrek, Lacrosse and some green ones I got talked in to a few years ago.
Mucks are like running shoes in the woods.. Always the most comfortable.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string