deer smoke screen--did as i hoped,pic added

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

yooper_man

Re: deer smoke screen

Post by yooper_man »

I have my wife buy a bottle of imitation vanilla extract from one of them dollar stores that I use for a cover scent. Harmless, edible for humans and only $1 per 8 ounce bottle lasts for years.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I agree with others. Deer certainly get used to combines and other farm equipment. They certainly are not shy about hanging around roads. Get them as accustomed as possible to the smell and sound and that will really help. We never know what something smells like to a deer. To us it may smell like apples and that is how companies market it. but how it smells to us might not be how it smells to a deer!

Hope this helps
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I know a guy that saves his old car oil filters and puts one somewhere around his stands, deer get used to the oil/gas smell and they dont spook from the smell of an ATV in the area. The scent jug of gas/oil might be the best option. If you're on someone else's land I'd make sure whatever you do is cool with the landowners though.
The sound of an ATV is another issue, try to creep along slowly and keep your RPM's real low so the sound wont carry as far.
Are you able to hide the ATV from view? They'll be alerted if theres a strange object suddenly there that wasnt there before. Maybe some camo netting or something to cover it with if possible?
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Kegbelly wrote:I know a guy that saves his old car oil filters and puts one somewhere around his stands, deer get used to the oil/gas smell and they dont spook from the smell of an ATV in the area. The scent jug of gas/oil might be the best option. If you're on someone else's land I'd make sure whatever you do is cool with the landowners though.
The sound of an ATV is another issue, try to creep along slowly and keep your RPM's real low so the sound wont carry as far.
Are you able to hide the ATV from view? They'll be alerted if theres a strange object suddenly there that wasnt there before. Maybe some camo netting or something to cover it with if possible?

thanks for everyone's input.next year I will plan on getting a jug with oil/gas so the smell is there all the time.
I have a sheet of lattice with artificial Christmas tree branches attached to it, it creates a very dense "wall" to hide the atv. works really good for hiding it but does nothing for the atv odors. this year I will try some smoking sticks and see how it goes, will never know if I do not try them and gun season starts tmr so time and options are short for this year. I am a meat hunter so it won't take a monster buck to make me a happy camper. would be just as satisfied with young buck or a doe!
thanks again everyone
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Good idea with the lattice, sounds like you got things covered in more ways than one :D
Good luck man, hope you have lots of success!
Matrix 380
Exomag
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Kegbelly wrote:No joke, I read this in a magazine article, a guy recommended hanging your dirty socks in the vicinity of your stands before the season starts, they get used to the smell of a human in the area and it doesn't spook them if they get wind of you in a stand.
I can somewhat agree with that line of thinking. Monday I killed deer number 50 off a small piece of land I am allowed to hunt. At any given time I am within 200 yards of a house. I am within 400 yards of five houses. The deer get used to human scent in the area. They generally don't pay attention to my scent when they are 50 yards or more away even downwind. Once they get within about 30 yards downwind, I guess the scent becomes strong enough for them to care.

One of my buddies leaves an orange vest in his stand year round so the deer get used to it.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I've heard of people leaving caps on broomsticks and such propped up in shooting house windows, same idea, they get used to it and eventually don't perceive it as a threat. We got a ton of deer around the house, I've been mowing the yard and watched does raise up on their hind legs and pick pears off the trees in the neighbor's backyard, maybe 40 yards away. They look at the mower like, hmmm, and go on eating. Of course if I started toward them they'd take off, but they're used to the noise and sight of people. I like to drink my coffee on the back porch and watch deer, they look at me like it's no big deal.
Matrix 380
Exomag
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

the proof is in the picture that I cannot load butt the smoke screen helped me out as I was hoping it wud. granted it is not magic or a cure all but I have had deer from directly down wind this season walk past at 25 yards. this afternoon the wind was swirling and I shot an 8point with real good mass and wide spread at about 70 yards.
if someone is willing to post a pic for me I can send it via email
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
lscha

Re: deer smoke screen--did as i hoped

Post by lscha »

Congratulations Jeff!! That's a dandy!

Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to hear it worked for you!
Which sticks/scent were you using?
wabi
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
I'm proud for you man, that's a nice one!!!
Matrix 380
Exomag
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

wabi wrote:Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to hear it worked for you!
Which sticks/scent were you using?

I was using DSS, deer smoke screen. its not meant to be any type of attractant, its only purpose is to be a cover scent
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Waif

Post by Waif »

Nice buck! congrats!
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

The Best way to fool a deers nose is to hunt them from a distance !!!
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

8ptbuk wrote:The Best way to fool a deers nose is to hunt them from a distance !!!
impossible to do with my disabilities and having to drive my atv right up to the door of my blinds so I was looking for something that helped my situation regardless if it is the "best way" or not. it fooled or confused his nose enough, the proof is in the picture :!:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife