deer smoke screen--did as i hoped,pic added

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deaf jeff

deer smoke screen--did as i hoped,pic added

Post by Deaf jeff »

has anyone tried this? http://deersmokescreen.com/

being disabled, I have to drive my atv to my blinds and i have been looking for something that will help cover/mask the oders associated with the atv and myself. my permanent stands are along trails so I can get to them but the wind is not always favorable for them. I am going to give this a try.
Last edited by Deaf jeff on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Pydpiper

Re: deer smoke screen

Post by Pydpiper »

An out of the box thought..
Deer do not like new smells, I would bet those smoke sticks ran there for a very long time before they got footage, and the footage isn't all that impressive anyways.
I hunt along some train tracks, the smell that comes off whatever it is in that wood is awful, and strong. But the deer don't even notice it anymore, at least not the ones who live along it. I think it just comes down to the fact that they are used to it.
Having said that, how about using an old bleach jug and putting used motor oil and a few rags in it, some vented holes so it wont take on water (or spill), and hang it from a tree permanently? They wont like it at first, but they will accept it in no time if it is between them and their food.
Just a thought.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Pydpiper wrote:An out of the box thought..
Deer do not like new smells, I would bet those smoke sticks ran there for a very long time before they got footage, and the footage isn't all that impressive anyways.
I hunt along some train tracks, the smell that comes off whatever it is in that wood is awful, and strong. But the deer don't even notice it anymore, at least not the ones who live along it. I think it just comes down to the fact that they are used to it.
Having said that, how about using an old bleach jug and putting used motor oil and a few rags in it, some vented holes so it wont take on water (or spill), and hang it from a tree permanently? They wont like it at first, but they will accept it in no time if it is between them and their food.
Just a thought.

this smoke screen caught my attention because my grandfather and father have told me about them building small fires while hunting to warm up and after putting the fire out once in a while deer would show up. my grandfather and father's thinking is the deer were curious to the smell. never thought about leaving "atv smells" in the woods during thee off season for the deer to get used to. its too late this year but I think that might be a plan come next spring :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
wabi

Post by wabi »

Might be worth a try.
Here's another company that markets them with several scent choices -
http://store.deerquest.com/Deer-Sense_c3.htm
wabi
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

wabi wrote:Might be worth a try.
Here's another company that markets them with several scent choices -
http://store.deerquest.com/Deer-Sense_c3.htm

the way my hunting has gone over the last few years, yes wabi it is worth a try for only ten bucks, the check is already on its way. thanks for the link! I did not realize this stuff was out there
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have used scent sticks quite a bit mostly for bear . but they work on deer also my son shot a 6 pointer last season that just would not leave the area.ihave had bear put there nose on them. i have had deer come into them. but its not the magic . sometimes they work some times it doesnt its worth a try they do make a good cover scent though,.
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

If you have any cedar in your area, break off a limb and bruise it and crush it and lay it in your stand with you. Works for me. Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

No joke, I read this in a magazine article, a guy recommended hanging your dirty socks in the vicinity of your stands before the season starts, they get used to the smell of a human in the area and it doesn't spook them if they get wind of you in a stand. He didnt say if Hanes or Fruit of the Loom worked better though.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Dand

Post by Dand »

What about the product called .....nose jammer. Have not used it but seen advertised a lot. Product is supposed to confuse the deers sense of smell somehow.....anyone tried this stuff????? I have my reservations about sents in general....have put doe urine out for years and never had a deer even remotely look or smell it in any way. I think 90% of the stuff out there is 99% advertising hype and money making scheme. My logic for doe urine is....how can it hurt to have doe piss around my stand????? But can't say it has ever helped either. Dand
strum

Post by strum »

Dand wrote:What about the product called .....nose jammer. Have not used it but seen advertised a lot. Product is supposed to confuse the deers sense of smell somehow.....anyone tried this stuff????? I have my reservations about sents in general....have put doe urine out for years and never had a deer even remotely look or smell it in any way. I think 90% of the stuff out there is 99% advertising hype and money making scheme. My logic for doe urine is....how can it hurt to have doe piss around my stand????? But can't say it has ever helped either. Dand
i don't like to use scent much either. last year i tried dragging a urine soaked rag. hung it up in the edge of the little field i was hunting..
just before dark a biggole doe came in. she had picked up the smell and went straight to the rag..
when she got there she took one whiff and snorted and ran of like crazy.
not to sure about this smoke stick. looks like one more gimmick to me
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Its a smokescreen alright smokes those dollar bills right out of your pocket :lol: Thats like the doe urine its black when it comes out of the bottle never seen urine that color The biggest joke is the Code Blue 40 dollars for some old piss in a bottle and there are morons that buy all this stuff Save your money it spooks more animals than atrracts if you scout right and hunt right you will do allright The best lure is the food source in your area :wink:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

JPjunkie wrote:Its a smokescreen alright smokes those dollar bills right out of your pocket :lol: Thats like the doe urine its black when it comes out of the bottle never seen urine that color The biggest joke is the Code Blue 40 dollars for some old piss in a bottle and there are morons that buy all this stuff Save your money it spooks more animals than atrracts if you scout right and hunt right you will do allright The best lure is the food source in your area :wink:

guess I am included in the moron group. can't say I have spent $40 for it though. black doe urine? that's a new one! I have used doe urine in the past and have never seen black, its always been a gold color. being disabled it is not possible to "scout right", I do hunt food plots but the issue I am having is the deer come to the food plots from a direction that puts me (and my atv) in between them in permanent blinds and the plot, and the plot is up wind. the blinds were built with more thought of how I can get to them since the blinds do no good at all if I cannot get to them. I did not say anything about needing/trying to attract them. I am looking for help in a cover scent, there are no pines or cedar on or near my property
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I say try whatever you can, if it works great! Sometimes circumstance demands you try new stuff so you can enjoy doing what you love.
Keep us posted on the results Jeff, I am curious.

As a buddy says, "Improvise, adapt and overcome!"

Best of luck out there.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

jeff these sent sticks have some kind of base that sticks to every thing that the smoke crosses i have seem bears stand up and follow the scent stream they do work but like i said its not magic . i repeat i have had to deer come in on them on a windy day i use them for cover scent i use the curiosity sent for mostly for deer i haved used these for quite a few years not just once i use scentquest mostly i hope this will help you i am not big on the bottle stuff the only deer stuff i use conquest scent stick i just smear it on a tree.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I think the deer associate the gas/oil/exhaust smell with danger as it is only there when you are there. I think they also associate the noise of it arriving with danger and once they hear it leave the danger is gone.
A cover scent might work but it may scare them as it will only be noticeable when you are there. Maybe the idea of making a scent jug of gas/oil and leave it hanging there all the time would work the best,

I also agree that all the cover scents, attractant scent are only made for fooling people to buy them/ Just like camo clothing , it's all a hype to get people to buy it.

If anything something to neturalize any odor that is not there 24/7
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!