Frustrated and tired!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

seabee401

Frustrated and tired!

Post by seabee401 »

Been hunting two seperate river basin bottoms about 5 miles apart. 4 days last week. and today. last week passed on two does to wait for trailing 8 ptr. wouldnt stop long enough or @ the right spot for a shot. :roll: Saw him 3 times in 3 days.
The other area holds a nice 6 ptr. :o :shock: which the same scenario happened last week with him too.
Saw the six again this a.m. @9:30. :shock: Alone w/no does . Too far. :roll: no trees for my climber near the trail he uses. :roll: have to put up a loc on quick for this afternoon. dont know if he passes through in p.m. This is public land so I only have two more mornings before muzzleloader opens. Then the area will be flooded w/orange army!
Good luck to those who haven't scored yet. And congrats to those who did. :wink:
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
nchunterkw

Re: Frustrated and tired!

Post by nchunterkw »

Make a small natural blind out of some brush etc and setup on the ground. If you have some 3D camo even better.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
NFH

Post by NFH »

xcaliber wrote:They never cooperate! I filled my buck tag on the 3rd of November, prior to that I had been passing on does, now I can only hunt does, and have had three nice bucks come into range, and no does! :lol: :lol:
Get some Code Blue Gel, that might just bring him in. I like that stuff because you don't touch anything! I put it on the three sides of my stand, down wind, and right, and left out about 20 yards, or more. I put it on branches about my eye level. It works!

Good luck, don't get frustrated, get creative!
Are you using the estrous or buck urine code blue gel? I'm assuming estrous but I've never gotten into attracting scents. Might have to give it a try.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Hey, thanks for the tips everyone. :) I've been using some cheap no name brand estrous. :oops: Heard about Code Blue but tend to be a cheapskate! :roll: I will definitely give it a try on Sat. a.m., my next time out. Dont care what it costs! :lol:
Think I've got him figured out. He comes through around nine thirty a.m. on his way to bed on a hillside. But does not come back the same way apparrantly on his way to feed in p.m.
Set up a loc on bracket w/ steps so all I have to do in a.m. is slide stand into place instead of using climber. :wink: and not worry about thieves.
Well now its persistence and luck!
Thanks
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
strum

Post by strum »

seabee401 wrote:Hey, thanks for the tips everyone. :) I've been using some cheap no name brand estrous. :oops: Heard about Code Blue but tend to be a cheapskate! :roll: I will definitely give it a try on Sat. a.m., my next time out. Dont care what it costs! :lol:
Think I've got him figured out. He comes through around nine thirty a.m. on his way to bed on a hillside. But does not come back the same way apparrantly on his way to feed in p.m.
Set up a loc on bracket w/ steps so all I have to do in a.m. is slide stand into place instead of using climber. :wink: and not worry about thieves.
Well now its persistence and luck!
Thanks
Tom
good luck there Tom ..I hope you get him..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Thank goodness I'm not the only one frustrated. I was out the last couple days, and had a monster 8 or 10 point Buck that caught me so off guard I needed a change of britches. I was navigating my way around a deep puddle and heard footsteps, thinking it was a person. I look up and it's a big buck, he didn't give a second thought and darted, so I walked out to my stand, and sat for 3 hours. No action, no tracks in the fresh snow, and my recently injured shoulder was killing me, so I head in to eat and do some chores. My buddy came home and out we went to the tree stand, and sure enough 4 apples and all the feed is gone :shock: we sat until dusk and saw nothing. I've seen deer everytime I've been out, but haven't had a decent chance to get a clean shot. :(

I feel your pain, keep your chin up and hopefully the hunting Gods will shine down on us!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good luck! :wink:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Zap

Post by Zap »

If it was easy anyone could do it!

:P
Duck or Bleed.....
Zap

Post by Zap »

I had a guy walk past this afternoon with a crossbow and a recurve....... :lol:

He informed me his buddy would be along shortly.....the buddy had a vertical bow and a climber.

I left......when I got to the gravel I noticed their suv was parked on the wrong side of the gravel road on top of a culvert....like it was pulled over for a minute.....

No way a tractor could get past, a pick up could barley get thru.

:roll:

When I saw that I knew I made a good decision leaving early.
Duck or Bleed.....
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

seabee401 wrote:Been hunting two seperate river basin bottoms about 5 miles apart. 4 days last week. and today. last week passed on two does to wait for trailing 8 ptr. wouldnt stop long enough or @ the right spot for a shot. :roll: Saw him 3 times in 3 days.
The other area holds a nice 6 ptr. :o :shock: which the same scenario happened last week with him too.
Saw the six again this a.m. @9:30. :shock: Alone w/no does . Too far. :roll: no trees for my climber near the trail he uses. :roll: have to put up a loc on quick for this afternoon. dont know if he passes through in p.m. This is public land so I only have two more mornings before muzzleloader opens. Then the area will be flooded w/orange army!
Good luck to those who haven't scored yet. And congrats to those who did. :wink:
Tom
Hey I know what ya mean been putting in the hunting time this year but no results as of yet-Never give up :D
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

seabee401 wrote:Been hunting two seperate river basin bottoms about 5 miles apart. 4 days last week. and today. last week passed on two does to wait for trailing 8 ptr. wouldnt stop long enough or @ the right spot for a shot. :roll: Saw him 3 times in 3 days.
Tom
Did you blat at him to try and stop him? Usually works, just don't do it too loud.
Zap

Post by Zap »

xcaliber wrote:Many years ago i was hunting on public land and i was about 1.4 miles from the parking area on the back side of a swamp. Just waiting for the guns to start popping, and the deer to start funneling through. Well it was a bit slow that morning, and very few shots rang out. About 9:30 in the morning, here come this guy walking by, he sees me, and starts heading toward me. He gets up to me, and starts the small talk for a minute, then says, well I'm heading to the parking lot to eat my lunch, then starts heading the wrong way. He was lost! Without a smart ass tone, I said, I'm hungry too, and I know a short cut to area 2 parking lot, follow me. His whole demeanor changed. I'm sure he went to get a compass when he left that day! :lol:

:lol:
A compass is a good thing to have.
But a guide is better.... 8)
Duck or Bleed.....
roly

Post by roly »

Tom
Have you tried a mock scrape with buck scent. Mite get him to come over and check out who has moved into his area
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Thanks again everyone for the tips and replies. :) And also the stories of shared pain of similar incidents. :wink: Like was mentioned; If it was easy ,everyone would do it. Well tomorrow I'll be back out there @ my new set up well before daylight. Using every trick in the book, and all the tips from everyone. 8)
My wife thinks I'm crazy getting up @ 4:30 on a day off obsessing over this deer! :lol: She might be right! But thats o.k. I love it! :twisted: I know everyone here can relate. :wink:
Thanks again
good luck and be safe. :wink:
Tom
Zap

Post by Zap »

Hope that you get him brother!
Duck or Bleed.....
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Zap wrote:Your wife thinks you're crazy? My wife knows I'm crazy! There is one rule, and one rule only that applies to every deer hunter out there, you must be out there to kill one! It is not going to happen if you aint there!

Good luck, we all have been there with you, hours, and days turn into mere seconds when it comes together though. That feeling is not available in any other form.

G
it her done! 8) 8)
Well he didn't show up. :? Stayed till 11 a.m.
Think i'll try going after the 8 next time out. :idea: As I think that spot has been quiet. No vehicles been parked there. :o and besides it's about a 500 yd hike to the spot. :shock:
Zap, your right. There is just no feeling like when it all comes together.
A great morning in the woods none the less. :wink:
Tom