Dog House blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcattrapper

Dog House blind

Post by bobcattrapper »

Ok so I ordered one today for next year deer hunting.Seems I've read a few threads on here some of you really like them so I'm gonna try one as a backup to my treestands. :wink: Do any of you shoot through the mesh screen? Can I wear camo in it? I think somewhere I read you gotta wear black.Well I got camo.I will brush it in real good and probably leave it setup a couple months.I got me a comfy chair too.That treestand kinda hurts my boney butt for long times even with a good seat. :mrgreen: So if its no good its yours fault for posting all the great stuff about this doghouse. :shock: :lol:
8ptbuk

Re: Dog House blind

Post by 8ptbuk »

I think you'll really like it . I would suggest a set of shooting sticks to use in it . They really steady up your shots . :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
fredd

Post by fredd »

we bought 3 dog houses 3 years ago. stood up real well. shot 4 deer from them. we used camo clothing in ours. we have to replace them now they are just wore out. the sun don't like them. bought mine on sale at bass pro for 99.00 ea. pretty cheap blind. but works awsome. we're buying 3 more for next year,and ya a good comfy chair is an asset and shooting sticks work awsome to. i use primos trigger stick.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Nope. I just dont trust shooting thru anything. Others report no problems doing so.
Yep. I wear camo in mine. IMO it's dark enough inside one it really doesnt matter. Besides, its all I got :lol: But I wear a mesh facemask too, nothing sticks out in the woods like a human face.
X2 on shooting sticks. i made a pair from some cheapie walmart hiking poles, they work good.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

They suck! I ain't never saw a deer from mine. I am 20 yds from trail & it really blends in. They jus won't come close to it. Been up a month & i am fixin to take it down & pack i up fer next yr
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
forrest-hunter

Post by forrest-hunter »

Use a black long sleeve shirt or any real dark coat - stay back away from window. Have used this on deer, hogs and African game in ground blind with no problem. Be very careful about any noise - have had game bolt when they heard arrow drawing on longbow.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a doghouse and have for years. One thing I change is that I paint the outside of the windows black before I set it out. I leave it set year-round. I figured out the window painting years ago. Had a blind set up and noticed many times when I was in it and a deer came in the food plot it would really look me over. When I was in the ladder stand and a deer came in it would ignore the blind when I wasn't in it.
What was different? - The windows!!!!!!!!!
A solid camo pattern closed and a huge black hole open!
Got me some cheap flat black paint and made it look the same occupied or empty.

Sunlight will really fade the colors of the camo, but as you can see from this years game cam pic that particular blind is 4 years old now and the deer still ignore it (it's behind and to the right of the little buck).

I usually wear dark gray in it, but then I usually wear the same dark gray fleece lined hoodie when hunting from my ladder stand, too. It's warm, quiet, and comfortable. :lol: :lol:

edited to add:
And don't use the blind to store spare corn for the feeder in. Even in sealed 5 gallon buckets the raccoons will get in the blind and get the bucket open. :roll:
What a mess!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by wabi on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I leave my window down so its always blk when they look at it
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

wabi wrote:I use a doghouse and have for years. One thing I change is that I paint the outside of the windows black before I set it out. I leave it set year-round. I figured out the window painting years ago. Had a blind set up and noticed many times when I was in it and a deer came in the food plot it would really look me over. When I was in the ladder stand and a deer came in it would ignore the blind when I wasn't in it.
What was different? - The windows!!!!!!!!!
A solid camo pattern closed and a huge black hole open!
Got me some cheap flat black paint and made it look the same occupied or empty.
Wabi ya got a great spot there!!!
Sunlight will really fade the colors of the camo, but as you can see from this years game cam pic that particular blind is 4 years old now and the deer still ignore it (it's behind and to the right of the little buck).

I usually wear dark gray in it, but then I usually wear the same dark gray fleece lined hoodie when hunting from my ladder stand, too. It's warm, quiet, and comfortable. :lol: :lol:

edited to add:
And don't use the blind to store spare corn for the feeder in. Even in sealed 5 gallon buckets the raccoons will get in the blind and get the bucket open. :roll:
What a mess!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Tried to post this to Wabi's post don't know what happened must of been operator trouble on my part :lol: -You sure got a good spot and blind set-up!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Good thinking wabi on painting the windows black !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Some of my camo clothing (toques, jacket, neck warmer) have black on the reverse so when I decide to sit in the blind I just turn it inside out. :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I wear black in mine and never have two windows open across from each other.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
catcher

Post by catcher »

That is a great tip on painting the windows black. I will def be doing that to mine . I also leave mine up as long as possible and as soon as possible. Deer get used to it and it does not bother them at all. I also recommend wearing dark clothes inside. I have not tried shooting broadheads through the mesh as I leave window completely open when I am hunting . But I like them as far as it gets you out of a cold wind or a light rain etc.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

That material looks to me like it would resist painting, what kind of paint did you use.

One thing I did to mine was to use seam sealer on all the seams especially around the windows.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone