Big John arrows, a bit of a rant.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Big John arrows, a bit of a rant.

Post by Pydpiper »

I have always made my own arrows, it isn't rocket science to put them together and make them look like arrows. What can be complicated about it, right?
I made a few dozen for myself and my wife, they shot good, and looked ok.. That was many years ago.
I ended up ordering some of Big Johns arrows a year or so in to my hunting career, just to see them. They came to me looking so perfect I would not shoot them, I just kept them on display, they were flawless, bright orange, and still have a place in my gun room for people to look at.
I am picky about my arrows, I go out of my way to make sure the weights were all the same, and shot all the same too. I always took Johns arrows down to look at before I would try to make my own, part for inspiration, part for cosmetics.
Fast forward to a couple weeks ago..
I ended up in an Email conversation with Big John, at the end of it I told him I wanted to make some arrows for my sons Excalibur, the bow is his Christmas present this year, and until today, he shot the arrows I had as leftovers, just so he could shoot.
I approached John with a favor, a few actually. I told him I wanted arrows for my son that would make his head spin, I wanted his name on them, and customised so that he knew they were his, and his alone. I told him I wanted his name in them, and Luminocks in each arrow.
John is not a man who talks a lot, his answer to me was a simple one "I know what he wants, and I will make them".
Before long I was getting emails from John, he showed me his concept of wraps, his choice of arrows and then finally, the finished product.
I left it to him to choose a combination for a very important gift, and he did not let me down. He took every part of our conversation and manifested a magnificent arrow, 6 actually.
My other request was to make them personal, my son loves his hobbies, just like the rest of us. But Hunter goes a bit deeper, he loves the personality behind products, he loves to know that an individual is behind the things he uses, and boy, did that ever happen!
John included a note to my son, to separate his arrows from the mass production most of us know as "product", he took the time to make sure those arrows were handed over with a personal touch.
BIG JOHN HAS CLASS.
He took little parts of our email conversation and created the most magnificent arrows a person could ask for, they are personal, unique and amazingly crafted.
Today I met John to finalize the deal, we chatted about little stuff, but more importantly he educated me on these arrows, how to care for them, how to get the most out of such a small investment. I walked away with paperwork from each component of the arrow, and his own personal opinion on how to make sure they last. Best two hours of my arrow based education that I could ever imagine.
It did not take me long to realize that man takes his handiwork very serious, he cares about his work, and he cares about the people who get the pleasure to use his final product. That is a rare quality in people these days, and John never skipped a beat in his enthusiasm about what he had made.
I ended up with a very personal gift for an upcoming hunter, there is no way I could have done this work myself, or put so much "personal touch" in to my goal.

John is a class act on this forum, he makes arrows that can simply not be made by an average guy, or even an experienced one.
With Christmas coming, his arrows would make any hunter proud to hold these arrows in his/her quiver. He has a big heart and an amazing ability to make arrows that are not comparable to anything else I have ever seen. He backs them up with a history of excellence, a personal touch and a terrific background in the arrow itself.
My last thought, is if you need a gift for someone, and you want to make sure it is absolutely perfect, then just ask John about some arrows, you WILL NOT be disappointed.
Here are mine, all designed by Big john off of a few emails, he read my mind and exceeded all my expectations.
Men like this should be supported here, they work hard with little return. The cost is better than the "bulk" arrows we all know, crafted with care and personality.

The wraps, with Hunters name, and a few other tributes.

The arrows, and Big Johns notes and personal letter to Hunter.

And then this.. WOW.. Yup, Expectations exceeded.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Re: Big John arrows, a bit of a rant.

Post by Normous »

Nice personal Christmas lights for Hunter Boy, I know he is going to admire them and shoot them with a kids delight. Also, a Shout Out to Big John and his arrows, his feedback regarding his Custom arrows is 100% here on the forum.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks Norm!
What I found interesting, is when I break down the products and time, I could not have made these for what I paid. I am floored, and it is going to take everything I have to keep myself from bringing Hunter outside and shooting these tonight.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Very nice David, way to go Big John. Much more than a Xmas gift for sure!!
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

I believe I have the final pieces of that bow, don't i?
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

That's very cool!! Kudos Big Jon!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

NewGuy wrote:I believe I have the final pieces of that bow, don't i?
Yes sir, you do. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I didn't make this post to brag, I made to remind everyone that we are hosting one of the best arrow makers out there.
This isn't about profit for him, he does it for us.

A personalized gift, or even just his standard arrows are the best gift you can give a fellow hunter.
It keeps a man busy, and keeps our money where it belongs, amongst us.
Those who shoot Johns arrows already know exactly what I am talking about, those who don't, owe it to themselves to get some and find out.
I can't put these things down..
WMU 91
Boo string
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

I have some AWESOME ARROWS from Big John myself and Pyd hit it on the head with that post PERIOD
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I did not talk to John about this, but I have an idea..
Just to get people to try these things, I will pay 5% of everyone's invoice between now and December 15th if they buy arrows as a gift.
If John can shoulder the discount, then let me know the balance on the 15th, I will pay it.
It is all about confidence in a persons work..
I am that impressed, and I think everyone owes it to themselves to shoot the best out there.
If John offers a 5% discount, I will insure he is reimbursed. It is the holidays after all. :D
Good people make my heart smile.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Great made arrows fer a fine young man whom's Father loves him very much. Way to go all of y'all
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
munch

Post by munch »

i make a few dozen arrows every year but have been told by my son i need to order more arrows for him from john .ain't that a kick in the pants. i think he ;likes john best lol
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
lscha

Post by lscha »

Wow! Those are very cool! I'm glad we have some of John's arrows.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

It,s great to see a man take pride in his work . you can bet I,m going to get some Big John Arrows soon . great looking arrows an I,m sure he will love looking at an shooting them :D
tammie

Post by tammie »

wow somebody is gonna have a very special Christmas.
matrix 380 w grim reaper 125 grain (midevil 2) equinox w boltcutter 150 grain (midevil 1)