Is this acceptable?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

filly

Is this acceptable?

Post by filly »

New Axiom SMF owner. I am having trouble sighting in. I am a long time rifle hunter, so yes, I know how to properly mount a scope. At 20 yds, the bolts are hitting high, and I am nearly maxed out in elevation. I could get a couple more clicks, but I don't want the scope in its extremis either elevation or windage. Sent the scope back to Dan Miller, and he sent a new one to me (thanks, Dan). Same story, but this time a little worse. Flipped the rings, front to back, same story, no change. So, I put in a shim in the front scope ring, and it gave me an inch or so of buffer, but still, only a few clicks away from maxed out, and I'm still shooting an inch high at 20 yds.

Question is, are other folks experiencing the same? From what I've read, I should expect Excalibur's crossbows to be nearly dead nuts right out of the box with just minor adjustments of the scope to be right on. Not so with my bow.

Should I be OK with having to shim the rings to get somewhat acceptable? As I said, I'm still high at 20, and I should turn a couple more clicks to get zero, but then I'd be at near maxed out in adjustment.

Thinking of calling Dan on Monday. I guess the only option at this point is to get another bow sent out and return this one. Is this likely to be his next step since we've already tried another scope?
Dereck

Re: Is this acceptable?

Post by Dereck »

Check and see if the trigger unit is secured properly.
Could be tight but sitting up at the front possible hung up on something.
Tenpoint Matrix
filly

Post by filly »

You talking the picatinny rail assembly mounted w/ the 4 hex bolts?
NFH

Post by NFH »

The rail is what I would check next. Definatly talk to Danny Miller again and see what he says. He is the man after all! If the rail is tight already then maybe it was machined out of tolerance. If that's the case it could be swapped out probably under warranty. Just a guess though. Otherwise you could get some Burris signature zee rings and use offset inserts to correct your problem.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

No if'en yer scope mount is on trigger assembly right yer set on scope. Now the stock screws can be taken out look at the 2 screws holdin trigger assembly in the rail. If'en they be tight they're be scope problems or bowed rail wid that nylon plastic rail
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
filly

Post by filly »

What do you guys mean by trigger assembly? What's the trigger got to do with the scope rail 3 inches above it?
filly

Post by filly »

And there ain't no way that rail is bowed. It's a 1.5 ft I-beam made out of some polymer-type plastic. Thing's sturdier than a brick house.
wabi

Post by wabi »

filly wrote:What do you guys mean by trigger assembly? What's the trigger got to do with the scope rail 3 inches above it?
The scope base is fastened directly to the trigger assembly. :wink:
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The trigger assembly is what drops down into yer rail! No matter about the I-beam they can be bowed/warped.
Half Bubble Off BD360

filly

Post by filly »

Well I just tried to remove the scope base, and it's on there like a bugger, so I didn't bother...that definitely ain't loose. So the trigger assembly is right under it. Not seeing how that is bolted in. Looking under the scope base from the rear, I can see two hex bolt...looks like they're what's holding the bolt holder (that springy piece holding the bolt to the rail so it doesn't slide out) in place.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You must take the stock screws out to see the trigger assembly.
Half Bubble Off BD360

filly

Post by filly »

And just checked the stock bolts. They weren't loose, but I was able to tighten them about a 1/4 turn each. Regardless, shouldn't matter, correct, because the scope is mounted to the rail, not the stock. Stock could be falling off, but that shouldn't change my POI.
filly

Post by filly »

OK, so remove the stock, and then I'll see the innards of the trigger assembly?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I ain't never owned one of them nylon railed models. I assumed the stock was removed the same way as alum. models
Half Bubble Off BD360

filly

Post by filly »

I'm guessin' so, too. Will do that tomorrow...east coast time here...time for shut-eye. Thanks for the help.