COLD FEET

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigbuckonly1

COLD FEET

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Just checking to see what methods some of you use to help keep your feet warm on stand.

THANKS.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
philcv

Re: COLD FEET

Post by philcv »

Toe warmers, last most of the day.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Merino wool socks and toe warmers, or even hand warmers stuffed in the toe of my boots. Best deal on toe/hand warmers is at Costco/Club Price. I also keep wiggling my toes to keep the blood flowin.

Also make sure your boot/sock combo is not too tight, if its too tight it will restrict blood flow and your feet will get cold faster, everyone learns that the first time they play hockey on an outdoor rink on a cold day lol
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Normous

Post by Normous »

This year Dad, I and Patti purchased the Thermacell heated insoles after reading good reviews about them. A few times I was interested in heated insoles or socks but the battery wires detracted me from purchasing them. Thermacell insoles neatly and unobtrusively store the battery in the sole under the heal area and the heating element is housed under the toe area...PERFECT.

On the outside they look, feel and function like regular insoles and can be trimmed to fit.. Sizes are S,M,L,XL and XXL and cost about $130. A small pocked remote about 1.5" x 2" is included, modes are On/Off, Med and High. Temp is described as 100 and 110 degree respectively. One charger is included and sole last about 5 hrs on Med. I took my regular boot insoles with me to make sure that I purchased the proper size.

After we used them on and off over a one week period I will definetly recommend them to cure cold feet. These enable one to stay on the stand much longer and more comfortable than before and the $130 investment is well worth it and with one more tag to fill the Thermacell Insoles will certainly be appreciated in late December.

I also want to add that I always use a boot dryer between hunts because moist boots from foot sweating always cause sooner cold feet compared to having dry boots.
Last edited by Normous on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Abig thing is space between socks and boots to tight is not right :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

enormous wrote:This year Dad, I and Patti purchased the Thermacell heated insoles after reading good reviews about them. A few times I was interested in heated insoles or socks but the battery wires detracted me from purchasing them. Thermacell insoles neatly and unobtrusively store the battery in the sole under the heal area and the heating element is housed under the toe area...PERFECT.

On the outside they look, feel and function like regular insoles and can be trimmed to fit.. Sizes are S,M,L and XXL and cost about $130. A small pocked remote about 1.5" x 2" is included, modes are On/Off, Med and High. Temp is described as 100 and 110 degree respectively. One charger is included and sole last about 5 hrs on Med. I took my regular boot insoles with me to make sure that I purchased the proper size.

After we used them on and off over a one week period I will definetly recommend them to cure cold feet. These enable one to stay on the stand much longer and more comfortable than before and the $130 investment is well worth it and with one more tag to fill the Thermacell Insoles will certainly be appreciated in late December.

I also want to add that I always use a boot dryer between hunts because moist boots from foot sweating always cause sooner cold feet compared to having dry boots.
X2 on this review. I used the thermacell insoles last week and they work great. I was able to sit still on very cold mornings where last year my feet were freezing and I was tempted to go for walks to warm my feet. Well worth the money! I will use them for this years end of dec bow hunting and ice fishing.

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Ive eyed those a few times at Bass Pro but was skeptical I trust your reviews and will have to try them thanks :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I bought the Thermacell foot warmers last year instead of buying new boots - they let me stay out longer and are the reason I was able to shoot my first archery buck at 11:30 a.m. after a cold morning in the tree stand.

Here is the link to my review from last year:

http://goo.gl/BZG3Ap

With the woods being so wet this year I've been putting them in my Nat's rubber boots and they're working great. My feet might be sweaty and damp, but they're not cold!

Like Norm, I also either pull my boot liners and dry them out between hunts or I use boot dryers.

Just a note - these are WARMERS, not heaters. Your toes will be warm, but not HOT.

I love them and feel they are worth the money. I believe I saw them on sale recently for $99 with mail in rebate - either at Bass Pro or TSC.

They're good for 500 recharges - that's many year of cold weather hunting in my books and good value.
Last edited by VixChix on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Mtnfun

Post by Mtnfun »

I purchased mucks for cold temps. Temps where in teens and worked for me
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Boot blankets, over shearling (wool) lined slippers, with chem warmers in em.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Mtnfun wrote:I purchased mucks for cold temps. Temps where in teens and worked for me
Teens, I thought we're talking about MINUS teens. Teens aren't considered cold
here in MN. :lol:
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I'm still in running shoes in the teens :lol:
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I use cabelas Inferno boots with a foot warmer on my socks.Keeps my feet nice and warm.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Cossack wrote:Boot blankets, over shearling (wool) lined slippers, with chem warmers in em.

x2on the boot blankets. I've always had a problem w/cold feet and they solved the problem for me. Just one pair of medium weight moisture wick socks/wool. 800 to 1000 gram boots depending on temps and slip them babies on when i get to my stand while my feet are still warm from the walk. Works for me. :wink:
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Always suffered from cold feet too. Couple years ago my daughter got me some super thick merino wool socks for Christmas, no more cold feet! I forget the brand but man they're the best socks I've ever used for hunting. Depending on temps i'll wear them with either 600 or 1000 gram insulated boots. I've tried the chemical toe and foot warmers, they work but the extra stuff inside my boots were uncomfortable. Me and a buddy were looking at the thermacell online the other day, they look good but just cant make myself pay $130 for insoles.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers