Have you ever cocked the Matrix 380 manually?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Xbowkiller

Re: Have you ever cocked the Matrix 380 manually?

Post by Xbowkiller »

strum wrote:
one shot scott wrote:Enormous is, well enormous! He's built like a brick $&@-house!

After reading his comment I had to make sure I wasn't mistaking my 380 with one of my other bows. Im not nearly as good as shape as norm. I did it. Without gloves and it sucked real bad. It wasn't that bad from my treestand tho, I think because I used my leg muscles witch likely helped. With the bow on the ground, it's all upper body strength.

I still perfer not to do it without a rope cocker!!! I can feel a tweak in my right side of my neck now.

Dumb.
all you have to do is uncock it by hand now and the tweak will go away :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I don't think I could have cocked the Matrix 380 even though I did cock my Vortex severals times while practicing in the yard. I'm glad we have rope cockers that do most of the work. I even shoten mine up a bit to make my pull even shorter on the Matrix which is easy now its 2 inches shorter.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
cspot

Post by cspot »

I can cock the 380 by hand, but it is not something I recommend and would not want to do it very much. The string will leave some marks on your hand. I use the rope cocker.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have new admiration for Neil (one shot scott) and cspot, it shows what a refined technique they have developed. I know I couldn't cock the 380 with my hands and it got caught in the ADF and left me in a pickle without the rope cocking aid to assist during a Hog hunt down at Awshucks place last Feb. Frustrating to say the least.
Don't leave your cocking aid at home with the Matrix series.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Norm, if I were to shoot that bow now at 20yards at a target, I bet it would shoot so far right it would miss completely.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I remember uncocking my exomax with the rope cocking aid for the first time ...It jumped on me and beat my a$$ ...something I will never forget :lol:
I must have hooked something up wrong but I watched that video over and over before I tried it again
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Did it once hunting this year. Somehow forgot my rope cocker which is usually right on the string hooked up and ready to cock........ PS.... It hurts.
In the Wind.......
cspot

Post by cspot »

enormous wrote:I have new admiration for Neil (one shot scott) and cspot, it shows what a refined technique they have developed. I know I couldn't cock the 380 with my hands and it got caught in the ADF and left me in a pickle without the rope cocking aid to assist during a Hog hunt down at Awshucks place last Feb. Frustrating to say the least.
Don't leave your cocking aid at home with the Matrix series.
I wouldn't put me on too high of a pedestal. :lol: :lol:

Honestly I am not sure if I could do it in a treestand, because it took about everything I had to do it on the ground. I am sure in the heat of the moment, I may be able to, but it wouldn't be easy.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
Point man

Post by Point man »

I once took the top off a beer bottle with my teeth. I won't do that again!
Dash

Post by Dash »

Just got the 380 together today and had a quick play. Gave it a quick tension test, as I have cocked the equinox before when waiting for a rope cocker to arrive. Like Enormous, I wasn't game enough to try cocking the matrix that last couple of inches though!
When you start squinting your eyes with your back at that bad angle, a muscle or disc in your back is likely to click before you hear the trigger click :lol: Its the angle that makes it dodgy to try.
In saying that, when the rope cocker is used I found the 380 way easier than the equinox.
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

I see the cocking rope is almost indispensable. But can you use it on a tree stand?
I've never been on a tree stand. Have you ever cocked you bow on one of them?
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

darwal44 wrote:I see the cocking rope is almost indispensable. But can you use it on a tree stand?
I've never been on a tree stand. Have you ever cocked you bow on one of them?

Sure. I've even cocked my bow without benefit of any cocking device. But it's a bit dodgy to do it. You better have a safety harness, and be wearing it. Putting a lot of effort into cocking a bow could mean you aren't putting as much thought into your balance, how close you are to the edge of your stand, etc. etc. My bow is an Exomax so it's somewhat easier to cock. I don't doubt however that lots of folks can cock the 380 by hand.

I would only want to do it that way in an absolute pinch. I want each limb to be loaded the exact same way as the time before when I shot it.

If you use a cocking device, you increase the chances that you WILL load both limbs the same way you did it earlier. Accuracy suffers if you don't have consistent limb loading from shot to shot.

Using a cocking device in a tree stand is no big deal. Just make sure you do it safely, to avoid falls, and do it exactly the same way you would on the ground.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

enormous wrote:I was able to cock my Nox/Max by hand and uncock it too but my M380 was another story and could not get that last inch, close but no cigar.

Really Norm?? I do it all the time....I find it much easier with my right hand then I do with my left!! :lol: :lol:

Sorry...couldn't help myself. :oops:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads