The perfect arrow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

The perfect arrow

Post by Masboy »

Is there such a thing as finding the perfect arrow for a certain poundage an rail lenth bow? I guess everything comes in to play weigh,lenth,foc, fletching placement. I have things happen that don,t seem like they should at times.

most 20 inch arrows that I sight in with field points at my hunting ranges an then switch to broad-heads of the same weight the broadheads most always shoot a little low an i have to use a 25gr heavier field point to get the exact same poi.but then cutting that same arrow down to 16 inch I get the same poi from the same weight broadhead an fieldpoint?

An now am shooting from my vixen a 525 gr slugged 16 inch arrow with brass inserts , plastic nocks,blazers,125 tip an sighted in at 25yds . so I decided to try the 20 inch arrows I made for our nox with the same components except no slugs an 100gr tips an a weight of 425 gr. shot at 25yds an my 16 inch were dead on an then tryed the 20 inch an thought well they will shoot higher an shot them an lower at all ranges out to 40yds? arrows???????
Limbs and Sticks

Re: The perfect arrow

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

You already know what i'm going to say, no problems with what I build, alum arrow, alum insert, plastic nock, 2'' to 4'' feathers, magnus bhs 12 to15% foc which to me is over rated. 350grs total weight and with in hunting distance will go thru anything a 500gr arrow will, this is fact. What I build is perfect to me.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Waif

Post by Waif »

Spine factoring?
Resistance of broadhead with longer bolt has bolt doing the hula? 4 inches off length should change what was result at longer length, (for good or bad),would greater diameter or instead, wall thickness, have same effect as heavier field tip with longer shaft?
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I shoot a fixed blade, also have to use 25 extra grains on field points to get the same POI. I guess due to the extra drag on the blades from more surface area the b'heads hit a bit lower.
I'm not an arrow builder but I'd think if everything else stays the same, by taking 4" off the arrow your changing the FOC and also making a stiffer arrow, maybe you removed enough weight to offset the drag from a b'head vs the 20-inchers?
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

I think there are also variable factors we can't control. Air density, temperature, and so on.
Perfect?
Probably never find it, but "close enough" works for me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I can shoot 2" groups at 25 yards every time that's close enough for deer hunting for my purposes (killing deer with no losses). This year that's a 2216 aluminum, aluminim nocks both ends, 2" Blazers, and 100gr points.
Next year it just might be with shield cut turkey feathers instead of Blazers, though. (Thanks Boo!!!!!!!!)
wabi
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

that is the best part of archery hunting, building arrows to do what you want then to do....so is there a perfect arrow ? yes mine I build for my exocet 200 :wink: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.