Scent free laundry detergent

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

Scent free laundry detergent

Post by Kegbelly »

I do the whole scent-free routine, shower with the scent free soap/gel stuff, wash my clothes in scent-free detergent designed for hunting clothes, and store my clothes in sealed containers.
I'm one of those guys that sweat at the drop of a hat and my clothes have to be washed every time I wear them, and the scent free 'hunting' detergent gets kind of expensive over the course of a 3-month long deer season. So I'm wondering if the "free and clear" type of regular laundry detergent would work instead? Several brands out there, Arm & Hammer, All, etc. They have no dyes or perfumes and are hypoallergenic, only thing I'm unsure of is the UV brightener thing. How important is that, and would this work for hunting clothing instead of the expensive stuff?
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Cherokeeson

Re: Scent free laundry detergent

Post by Cherokeeson »

I use Arm n Hammer Scent Free primarily because of the baking soda in it. If I cannot find it I use All Free n Clear. Works fine. I air dry them though on a line under some oak trees I have in my back yard. And just plain ol' Ivory bar soap, about as free and clear of any smell ya' can get.
Equinox (Exodus) - Vari-Zone - Big John Custom Arrows
Swhackers, Mangus Stingers
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
—Albert Einstein
Waif

Post by Waif »

U.V. brightners not good for hunting.One old study ,accuracy must be considered, showed a glow to fabric in a deers view.Probably by company that sold/sells u.v. free products.Denim a screaming neon to game though l.o.l..
I smell like dogs.So far except lack of deer to see this year its been fine. Last years deer never figured me but coyotes came out of swamp after dark wanting to help dress deer a couple times. When trying to knock human stink down I launder in baking soda,then air when conditions allow.Our hair and as a result hats really odor holders.A neighbor smokes up the yard good when wind is from west if wood smoke is needed but usually oak scent and oaks where I hunt,I like white oak bark for first choice..Native scents used to go in with cloths. Walnuts with hulls and apples not a good idea if your forgetful. :shock: Kinda like smelt forgotten in a pocket after fishing ,umhmmm.Done it all.
There is an earth scent laundry sheet for dryer that worked good for two of us years back,a half sheet when new enough, and cloths really smell like fresh dirt,good for a coat or bibs, used on all clothing about leaves me reeling though.
Deer curious about fresh dirt and eat dirt too so consider that if using.But they seem to not be upset by it.The guy who introduced me to the scented fabric sheets did well using it.I think it would challenge any sweat to a loudness contest for a few hours if used full strength after a baking soda shower and non scented deodorant.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00014X2NW/?ta ... cc4mxer0_e
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I can smell every "scent free" laundry detergent I've ever bought. If I can smell it then of course a deer can! I DO use the earth scented drier sheets as the only way to keep the static electricity down and maybe help a little with the other.

Staying really clean and doing a complete spray down AFTER getting to my parking site and BEFORE donning my hunting duds, crossbow, pack, bino/rangefinder/grunt call rig, boots, stand and whatever else I take in seals the deal.

I honestly don't believe that one can be 100% scent free, but that's not necessary, and I have had so many unalarmed bucks and does dead downwind of me and going about their normal routine that I know this works, FOR ME. Deer smell humans and their gadgets all the time, especially in more urban areas and the accompanying crowded public lands that may be close by. Being that my favorite hunting area is also a military base where each zone may be having active training happening on a day to day basis, well, that should make the point. IMHO, the goal is to cut your scent signature to the point that a deer's fear/flight response doesn't hit the red zone.

Just like the totally ridiculous but often touted "deer ALWAYS travel into the wind" BS, if they were also extremely reluctant to live or stay in areas where they could smell humans and headed for the next county at the slightest whiff, we would all be hard pressed to see any deer as they would have all headed for whatever wilderness areas remain!!!! :shock: My point is that if you can cut things down to where a deer which is 10-20 yards away is getting similar olfactory cues as if it were a few hundred yards away or more, it will most likely not go on full alert.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The best I have found is "Sport Wash" from Wallmart. It is scent free, no UV and most importantly, it keeps waterproof stuff waterproof.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

99 Percent of the stuff you buy is hogwash The indians never went to Bass Pro or Cabelas Human scent is everywhere you go we stink lets face it Factorys stores vehicles everything we do creates odor and they are used to it The biggest mistakes are made by movement and not enough patience to outlast there patience They have one thing to worry about and nothing else Staying Alive so they are extra cautious if it dont feel right to them they dont proceed So as our parents taught most of us Sit Still Keep your mouth shut and be quietThe Indians made Lye soap and smoke to hide there scent I use the Lye soap my Great grandmother taught me how to make and I smoke my hunting clothes with hardwood smoke it works very well
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

I only use arm and hammer baking soda to wash my clothes in, I don't worry about the "WHOLE SCENT FREE" thing....90% of human odor comes from your breath anyway, so unless your controlling your breath odor you are wasting your money on "SCENT FREE" hunting products for your clothes....a box of bakin soda only costs bout 3 bucks and least me all season :wink: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. We've have both the Arm and Hammer Free and the ALL Free and Clear in the laundry room, been wondering for a while if it would be suitable for washing my hunting clothes in. Running low on the stuff I usually use and just wanted to get some opinions. Only thing I don't know about is if either of these contain the UV brighteners, I've read the same info on how UV seems to glow to a deer's eyes.
I've tried the earth scented laundry sheets, they work but the scent didn't last very long. Best thing I've found is to toss one of the fresh earth wafers in the container with my clothes and leave it, they really absorb the scent and will retain it even after being washed.
I use the wind to my advantage but sometimes it's easier said than done, the terrain where I hunt causes the wind to swirl and change directions often, but I've had deer come in with the wind many times. I know you cant totally eliminate your scent but I do what I can to reduce it.
One more question... the references to 'smoking' your clothes, what's that about? There's no houses where I hunt so I would think clothes that smell like smoke would be just as likely to alert a deer as anything else.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

If you want to check for UV just buy a cheap UV flashlight, throw the clothes in a dark room and turn the light on.
UV is far more important to me then scent.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Only way to be scent free is to work the wind.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

some plants give off uv also. stop the worries just go hunt lol!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I wash my clothes in jus bakin soda & don't use any dryer sheets. I build the wood stove fires in my huntin gear & me girls all rub on it n such. Yup they smell me at times some don't like it & leave quikly while others are like a dog wid its noes to my tracks :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

foofoo wrote:some plants give off uv also. stop the worries just go hunt lol!
Which ones? I use a UV reflective markers on some of my trails, so I am the only one who can follow them in the dark, with a UV flashlight. I have never seen a plant react to it, Google isn't showing anything either?
UV is part of a deers spectrum of color they can see.
WMU 91
Boo string
Waif

Post by Waif »

U.v. and deer vision.Interesting. Our vision peters out just past violet. I don,t know what those/that next color(s) looks like, I guess so we should use it in military applications,that and a morel mushroom pattern!
Green supposed to be near invisible to deer as past violet is to us but there all ways seems to be pines around if only few where big bucks are during fall so they must see them?To in thick cover with large pines about one per quarter mile, is it chance or deliberate that runs include them like landmarks.
Some color blind people are supposed to see similar to deer,yellow stands out the best? for them as well as blue jeans.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Light fascinates me, always has. So does animals skills that differ so far from ours.

WMU 91
Boo string