Scent free laundry detergent

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Re: Scent free laundry detergent

Post by Pydpiper »

Light fascinates me, always has. So does animals skills that differ so far from ours.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Waif

Post by Waif »

So if I interpret charts right,deer are seeing enhanced colors at a range we struggle with and increase by use of u.v. brighteners in an attempt to see.
Good case against hunting cloths washed with brighteners, beyond yet proving some non u.v. wash manufacturers claims.Still like my baking soda but wash blood stains same night and after rinsing too.(cold water only,soak any dried first),rewash if any stain left so not to set them by drying,sure some of my cloths are stained.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I will never pretend to fool a deers nose, it simply isn't possible to be "clean". I wash in scent free because I don't like to smell like spring lilacs, or winter fresh. UV is a bonus from a decent detergent, as well as maintain the clothes some of us spend good money on.
The Sport Wash I mentioned earlier is great for water resistant clothes, as well as making stuff clean without smelling like a girls closet (no offence girls :D ).
Deers eyes are amazing things, learning about them certainly doesn't do a person harm.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

bob1961 wrote:I only use arm and hammer baking soda to wash my clothes in, I don't worry about the "WHOLE SCENT FREE" thing....90% of human odor comes from your breath anyway, so unless your controlling your breath odor you are wasting your money on "SCENT FREE" hunting products for your clothes....a box of bakin soda only costs bout 3 bucks and least me all season :wink: ....
That's why I keep my mouth shut, my tongue in the roof of my mouth and breath through my nose!! :wink: The only time I breath though my mouth when on stand is when calling, and that of course is limited and relatively infrequent.

To the other poster, about "hunting the wind". Do you claim to know where every deer in the woods is going to come from, 100% of the time? I think not, that's why I do what I do and it works FOR MR, as stated.
strum

Post by strum »

Lake shooter wrote:
bob1961 wrote:I only use arm and hammer baking soda to wash my clothes in, I don't worry about the "WHOLE SCENT FREE" thing....90% of human odor comes from your breath anyway, so unless your controlling your breath odor you are wasting your money on "SCENT FREE" hunting products for your clothes....a box of bakin soda only costs bout 3 bucks and least me all season :wink: ....
That's why I keep my mouth shut, my tongue in the roof of my mouth and breath through my nose!! :wink: The only time I breath though my mouth when on stand is when calling, and that of course is limited and relatively infrequent.

To the other poster, about "hunting the wind". Do you claim to know where every deer in the woods is going to come from, 100% of the time? I think not, that's why I do what I do and it works FOR MR, as stated.
iv heard this before about breath. I even had a friend who used some scent free gum. all I know is when I get busted(yes It happens :lol: )
they are always down wind . I try to hunt the wind and its hard here in the mountains where the wind is swirling around . as for the guy saying hunting the wind is a crazy thought ..well.. the deer do it :shock:
I would like to hear some more on this breath thing.. may be we can try gargling some doe pee see if that will help :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

"The deer do it" huh? Not on your life friend!!! Sure they travel into the wind at times and very often circle something suspicious to try and get a whiff, but MOST of the deer that I see, including some freaking BIG bucks, come in to me traveling with the wind at their butt or quartering from their rear end. They go to where they want to be, no matter the wind direction.

I never said not to hunt the wind because I ALWAYS hunt the wind! I wish people would stop putting words in my mouth or that of others and simple read the posts better!

Just so y'all know, I'm a professional sailor. That means that I make my living being a student of the wind, and believe me when I tell you that even if you set up dead downwind of your hunting area, there are plenty of swirls and eddies around the trees and over the land that blow back upwind. Sometimes a whole lot! That's why I make as much effort as I do to stay as scent free as possible, period. 8)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I hunt every day i can wind or no wind. I have watched fer yrs deer go wid the wind at their butts, ears n eyes forward. I like huntin mornin & up till about 3 pm. After that the thermals reverse hot/warm air-scent starts fallin to the ground & poolin outward from you unless good steady breeze is in yer favor
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
strum

Post by strum »

Lake shooter wrote:"The deer do it" huh? Not on your life friend!!! Sure they travel into the wind at times and very often circle something suspicious to try and get a whiff, but MOST of the deer that I see, including some freaking BIG bucks, come in to me traveling with the wind at their butt or quartering from their rear end. They go to where they want to be, no matter the wind direction.

I never said not to hunt the wind because I ALWAYS hunt the wind! I wish people would stop putting words in my mouth or that of others and simple read the posts better!

Just so y'all know, I'm a professional sailor. That means that I make my living being a student of the wind, and believe me when I tell you that even if you set up dead downwind of your hunting area, there are plenty of swirls and eddies around the trees and over the land that blow back upwind. Sometimes a whole lot! That's why I make as much effort as I do to stay as scent free as possible, period. 8)
I wasn't trying to disrespect you man just sharing my thoughts.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I wasn't insinuating a dis from you, only talking in reference to your "as for the guy saying hunting the wind is a crazy thought........"

Where did you come up with that? All is good on my end, hope you feel the same way, just curious how this stuff happens. If not intended for me I apologize.

I do know this much for a fact: if deer always traveled into the wind they most likely would never have made it this far. Before the "white eyes" showed up in this part of the world the cougar was one of all deer's chief predators. These critters like to stalk from behind. Any other critter that depends chiefly on it's nose as the first line of defense would be SOL while traveling into the wind with a cougar approaching from behind!!!! :shock:

Follow that last statement to it's logical conclusion and it should be very apparent that if deer always or usually traveled into the wind, and most all hunters also hunted into the wind, said hunters would almost never SEE a deer, let alone take millions of them every season! :wink:

Conversely, deer or prey animals traveling with the wind or quartering downwind can utilize all of their senses for self preservation: ears all around, eyes catching what's forward and to the sides and the old sniffer (hopefully) catching anything on their back trail! 8) Fortunately for us when hunting into the wind, we're NOT on their back trail!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Pydpiper wrote:The best I have found is "Sport Wash" from Wallmart. It is scent free, no UV and most importantly, it keeps waterproof stuff waterproof.
I've used this in the past as well. The waterproof part is very important for sure! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
grouse

Post by grouse »

I just use plain water for my camo clothing. The agitation gets all of the normal dirt out and I don't really care if blood stains remain. If you're worried about the clothing retaining scent (I doubt that it will) you could add a couple of table spoons of baking soda to the wash cycle.
axiom
350 SE