Deer Only Seem to be Moving at Night

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Deer Only Seem to be Moving at Night

Post by taz3 »

I just got back from 3 days of deer hunting and I completely perplexed with their movement. The deer don't seem to move during the day since the snow has fallen, every night they're at the feeder, but never come in during the day. Any thoughts on how to get them in during the day or why they don't seem move during the day anymore? There's a big buck lingering around now to if that matters.

Oh ya, -20ºC redefines cold for sitting in a tree stand too! :shock: :roll:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
lottabullcrap

Re: Deer Only Seem to be Moving at Night

Post by lottabullcrap »

Wish I knew.I have some property in northern ont. I hunt and it is like that all the time.I have no dogs,and tried using cover scents and blinds.The deer come out about an hour after sunset.Maybe they are watching me target practising during the day.Those excals are so accurate.
Waif

Post by Waif »

Response to human pressure is to move when people are not around,midday or after dark. One year two bucks at different times approached me after dark when leaving the woods.
Our last day of regular firearm today,took a turn around swamp,last deer activity seems to have been days ago during snow fall and likely before that a bit.
In theory I should see movement pick up next big weather change if near enough cover they are in.Plus there is darn few left around here!
Last year deer were showing up very near bedding area/swamp, at last light at earliest, after season was open.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

taz3 wrote:I just got back from 3 days of deer hunting and I completely perplexed with their movement. The deer don't seem to move during the day since the snow has fallen, every night they're at the feeder, but never come in during the day. Any thoughts on how to get them in during the day or why they don't seem move during the day anymore? There's a big buck lingering around now to if that matters.

Oh ya, -20ºC redefines cold for sitting in a tree stand too! :shock: :roll:
Put out feed in the morning when you go in on stand.
Only leave enough feed out for daytime activity.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

JMHO: change your hunting strategy and tactics. I almost never hunt the same stand or the same general area twice in a row or even twice in a week because I realized long ago that the animals in an area quickly pattern the hunter or hunters, even the careful ones! I almost always hunt a different spot or area every hunt to keep the area fresh and the deer as unaware of my presence as possible.

Hunting feeders is a pattern-able as it gets for a deer. They aren't brainiacs, but they're darn sure good at doing simple things that keep them alive! Have you tried backing away from feeders and hunting closer to bedding areas? How about backing well away from known feeding areas and calling? The further away you stay from these places the better your chances, and calling works if you use common sense, experiment and are persistent.

The buck that I rattled in and took a couple of weeks back was in a spot that I've only hunted four times in the last year, and the first time this season. It's about 150 yards away from a group of white oaks. In the four times I've hunted this spot, the first was the only time that I failed to call a deer in from that oak patch. Who knows if the same would have happened if I went further in before climbing a tree? All I know is that trying to get close to feeding deer in noisy leaves and thick cover is fairly fruitless, and if they had been there when I walked in, I probably would never have seen them, or called them in.

Again, just a thought, I'm not pointing fingers or knocking your hunting style. That would be freaking stupid for the simple reasons that I don't know you, don't know how you hunt and even if I knew both things, we are all free to hunt as we please! :wink: