Good friend of mine hurt in tree stand fall

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deerstalker

Re: Good friend of mine hurt in tree stand fall

Post by Deerstalker »

I was very lucky to be able to walk away from a 16' tree stand fall. I now have life lines and use the HSS vest when ever I start to climb. It is NOT IF but WHEN you will fall from a stand. Please wear you safety gear at ALL times that you are off the ground. I always thought that it could NOT happen to me but found out the hard way. This is how my shoulder/back looked after the fall.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

People are not designed to climb trees, but sure seem to have falling out of them down to an art.
Today, harnesses are cheap and easy to come by, there is no excuse for not wearing one besides sheer laziness. It is irresponsible for a family man to climb a tree and not utilize the most basic of safety measures.
Glad the guy is OK, but he brought it on himself. A few extra minutes of preperation will save him and his family a lot of grief.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Deerstalker wrote:I was very lucky to be able to walk away from a 16' tree stand fall. I now have life lines and use the HSS vest when ever I start to climb. It is NOT IF but WHEN you will fall from a stand. Please wear you safety gear at ALL times that you are off the ground. I always thought that it could NOT happen to me but found out the hard way. This is how my shoulder/back looked after the fall.
Glad you are alive-Sure looks nasty your black and blue mark-Man that had to hurt gives me the willy's just looking at your picture!
toytruck

Post by toytruck »

I broke my left ankle after a tree stand fall in '93 still my fault, pre safety vest days, just a belly safety belt which I took off to climb down. I grabbed a limb instead of a step that was screwed into the tree...limb broke and I landed on both feet. I crawled till after dark to get to my truck an drove a 5 speed truck with my right leg to get home. Three days in hospital was off work 4 months (burned up over 400 hrs of sick leave) still feel fortunate could have been much worse. I still have the metal plate an 8 screws in the ankle. I won't be getting up in a tree anymore an to be honest have killed just as many if not more deer from the ground.
Life may change us, but we begin and end with family.
White's and TC Renegade
2010 Ibex
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Gravity is a tough task master!

In the late 80's I saw plans for a climber in Popular Mechanics or one of those. Bought the steel angle and welded both sections up. It worked great, but I can't sit longer than 20-30 minutes without low back support and not be really hurting, and that may have saved my life as I would go WAY up pines, and had no safety harness or tree strap!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Luckily, the thing was so uncomfortable that I gave it up after maybe 4-5 climbs. Looking back I just shake me head...........
Amrap

Post by Amrap »

I've said this before, but my father fell from a treestand and passed away 6 years ago. The stand was 14' tall and in a forest with soft dirt. People don't have to be 25' up or be over hard ground to do significant damage to themselves. Like most have said. Check your hunting equipment often and keep up with your maintenance. Smart hunting allows you to hunt longer, and isn't that what we all want!
Matrix 355
Diablos with 150 BC (not very imaginative, but accurate)

"Put on your harness. If you fall today, you can't hunt tomorrow"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A client of mine, had her husband climb a small tree, he was up 4' on a ladder, took a fall and never got up. Died from a 4' drop.

Amrap, sorry to hear about your Dad, tragic without doubt. There is never a happy ending to a fall, in your situation it could not have ended worse.
Make him proud and keep up the good work, one can only hope the sharing of your story can help another man home.
Thanks for sharing, brother.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Pydpiper wrote:A client of mine, had her husband climb a small tree, he was up 4' on a ladder, took a fall and never got up. Died from a 4' drop.

Amrap, sorry to hear about your Dad, tragic without doubt. There is never a happy ending to a fall, in your situation it could not have ended worse.
Make him proud and keep up the good work, one can only hope the sharing of your story can help another man home.
Thanks for sharing, brother.
Agreed, I thought the same thing. Even six years back, very sorry for your loss. :(
JRS

Post by JRS »

DaveShooter wrote:As I was in the Dick's sporting goods this past Sunday a good friend I have known for years comes over to me in a cast from his knee down to his foot. The worst part was he was also in an upper body cast or brace.
Not to make lite of the subject, but what was he doing out shopping? Sounds like he was pretty encased in plaster.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Wow! So sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he heals up well and quickly. PLEASE EVERY ONE...SAFETY HARNESS...SAFETY HARNESS. ..SAFETY HARNESS!!!
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

JRS wrote:
DaveShooter wrote:As I was in the Dick's sporting goods this past Sunday a good friend I have known for years comes over to me in a cast from his knee down to his foot. The worst part was he was also in an upper body cast or brace.
Not to make lite of the subject, but what was he doing out shopping? Sounds like he was pretty encased in plaster.
He wasn't shopping . He works at Dicks Sporting Goods Store- One heck of a fisherman and hunter!