Advice on used ATV price

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Alahunter

Advice on used ATV price

Post by Alahunter »

A friend of mine is looking at buying a used Yamaha Grizzlie 350 4 x 4 automatic 2007. It is in good condition but has 2400 hrs. on it. It runs good and starts easy like most yamahas. The new MSRP in 2007 was $5099. He is asking 3000. How much lower would you guys offer him since it has high hours. Oh yeah it has a winch too. Your opinions will be helpful. It is camo and he will use it for hunting. Thanks
8ptbuk

Re: Advice on used ATV price

Post by 8ptbuk »

2400 sounds like a lot of hours to me . Has it been kept inside ? Maintenanced Regular ? Tires in good shape ?
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Tires are the first thing to consider when it comes to price.
Worn tires can mean replacement $400 to $ 600 in the near future.
Wheel bearings are the next biggy to consider.
I have the 660 and know my dealer indicated that if over sized tire have been used then wheel bearings life is shorten . Also another cause of bearing failure can result from not greasing on regular basis . Considering the hours a possibility of both resulting in poor bearings.
I would have it looked over at dealer first. Just not the sellers dealer who may have an interest in selling a new one to the seller.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Opps double.post
Alahunter

Post by Alahunter »

I agree on the high hours. The tires still have enough tread on them to last two years probably. It has been garage kept and he said that he had maintenance done regularly. I did not think about the bearings being worn. It is a individual selling the ATV so I am not sure if they would allow my friend to take it to a mechanic to check it out. It will not hurt for him to ask though. Thanks for the advice.
Alahunter

Post by Alahunter »

8ptbuk and colouredchameleon,
Considering the high hours would you guys offer $2000 or stay way completely and not offer at all?
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

US or Canada?

And major repairs done? Where (if where) has he had his maintenance done?

What was it used for? Is he the type to go swamping, with water up to the seat?

Any ticks or knocks when the engine is cold? Did it ever plow?

These are things to consider. If it was "easy hours" I wouldn't be afraid of it and $ isn't to far out for Canada. With the Internet it's easy to do some comparison shopping.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

2400 hrs sounds kind of high to me, but a lot of it depends on how it was ridden and how well it was maintained. It might run another 10 years, but everything else wears out too and that can get expensive. I've got close to 1000 hrs and about 4700 miles on a 2002 Rancher and it still runs like a sewing machine, but I've had to replace CV joints, ball joints, wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, bushings, clutches, etc etc etc etc. Seems like they just hit a point where you start replacing lots of parts.
Lifted or oversized tires are hard on the front axles (CV joints) due to the extreme angles the axles are forced to operate at.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

The other members on the forum all make good points to consider . I would think 2000 to 2500 would be a fair price IF its been took care of .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
rayman

Post by rayman »

I get Honda 250 Recons and use them mostly for work. The darn little things are almost indestructible. If you could just see what I put them through. Sometimes you can get the dealer to work on the price if you call around. Dropped about $3,250 on the last one. I would go that route unless you really need a 4*4 or one with more power, in which case I would spend about $4,500 for a Honda. :)
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

You said it has 2400 hours thats ideling/running time! how many miles is on it! Had a friend that bought a can am and it was used in shows and had lots of hours from running but very low miles,2000 TO 2500 $ sounds good!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Alahunter

Post by Alahunter »

I am not sure on the miles. I will tell him to ask that. Glad you mentioned that.
JRS

Post by JRS »

The hours to miles ratio can be a good indicator of how the machine was used. Lots of miles with low hours indicates high speed operation. Lots of hours with low miles indicates low speed operation, which could mean one of two things: lots of idling time (i.e. farm use) or slow plodding through mud or trails. Best to find out the source of the hours.
crappieduster

Post by crappieduster »

Seems a little high on price for a 350. Hours wouldn't worry me as long as it checks out ok. Check all fluids, cv joint, bearings. Is plastic all good or beat up? Make sure 4x4 works. Any machine with some time on it is going to need some work.