Thumbholes?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

needmorebacon

Thumbholes?

Post by needmorebacon »

So when I bought my new bow 2 years ago I bought it strictly bc it DIDNT have a thumbhole. The new matrix line is fabulous love the look and compact design but cannot get behind the thumbhole. Its not traditional, it gets caught on sticks and personally I find it ugly. I know many of you love thumboles and that's fine too to each there own. Anyone think they'll make a matrix with no thumbhole? and why did you choose thumbhole? Thanks all happy hunting.
2011 Axiom
GT Laser II-Right Helical
175gr. Slick Tricks
353 gr. overall bolt
mndoggie

Re: Thumbholes?

Post by mndoggie »

needmorebacon wrote:So when I bought my new bow 2 years ago I bought it strictly bc it DIDNT have a thumbhole. The new matrix line is fabulous love the look and compact design but cannot get behind the thumbhole. Its not traditional, it gets caught on sticks and personally I find it ugly. I know many of you love thumboles and that's fine too to each there own. Anyone think they'll make a matrix with no thumbhole? and why did you choose thumbhole? Thanks all happy hunting.
All of my rifles (except my 1937 Monkey Ward single shot .22 made by Mossberg) have either thumb holes or pistol like handgrips, as does my Ibex.

I have shoulder issues and the thumbhole type stocks let me continue to comfortably use the rifle or crossbow. Never had a problem with branches getting caught. Much greater likelihood of branches getting caught in the foot stirrup or between the limbs and the string.

I'm not into wood stocks. I find them ugly and heavy. I never liked buggy whips much either.

I like polymers.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't do pretty or ugly i do best function n comfort. I have 4 Vixens & a E'cet. One of my Vixens is a thumbhole! I use it the most, some ppl. find the safety awkward i find that amusin. When i see a tick toter i want to kill i flip safety off prior to them gettin too close to see any movement. I love the thumbhole stock its easier to hold tightly abit more comfortable & its shorter than the traditional stock
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I've only handled a Matrix a couple times in the store, never shot one. The pistol grip feels good but I also found the safety awkward to reach without almost completely removing my trigger hand from the bow. Maybe it's just something you have to get used to. I wanted an AR style rifle for years but every time I handled one I thought I didnt like the way it felt, just felt strange after a lifetime of traditional wood stocked rifles. But I finally got one this year, and after some range time and several hunts (and one deer) I've gotten used to it and it feels really good now, maybe the Matrix will be the same. I'm planning on getting one this spring, but I'm waiting to see what's new for '14 before I take the plunge. :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

I got and like both styles. But for hunting it's my 380 or vortex. Especially long tree stand sits. So thumb hole for for hunting. Rec shooting ,...heck don't matter.. I love all my bows :D
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

vixenmaster wrote:I don't do pretty or ugly i do best function n comfort. I have 4 Vixens & a E'cet. One of my Vixens is a thumbhole! I use it the most, some ppl. find the safety awkward i find that amusin. When i see a tick toter i want to kill i flip safety off prior to them gettin too close to see any movement. I love the thumbhole stock its easier to hold tightly abit more comfortable & its shorter than the traditional stock
isn't it only your thumb you are moving to move safety off ??....I'm pretty darn sure deer aren't that slick eyed seeing small stuff move "thumb"....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I don't have a preference. All of my rifles are traditional stocks, but most are older; my previous xbow was a Barnett (sorry, we all make mistakes) with a thumbhole and I liked it....my excalibur an exocet without thumbhole.....like that, too.

seems to be like there are plenty of other things (limbs, stirrup, sling) that will get caught on woodsy things before the thumbhole would......
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Easier to hang onto in the stand, perfect hand fit for trigger release.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

One of the fellas on here had Danny Miller switch the 355 stock for a vixen stock when he bought his 355 package from him. I always thought that wouldn't work, but apparently it does. Maybe wanna check with Danny Miller if you want a matrix and don't like the thumb hole look.

My preference is the thumb hole. It's solider when I go to shoulder it and just has the "right" feel to it. Each to their own is how I look at it.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Five bows here and zero thumbhole stocks. All traditional stocks so I can keep switching them around. Spend half my life resighting in because I changed something.
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

I hunted with my brothers axiom. I purchased the ibex, preferred the thumbhole.
More natural to me.

My next one will be a thumbhole.
Nox & Max, Xcaliber Strings, Vixenmaster Strings, Dynaflight String, Munch Mounts, S5's, Nikon Bolt XRs, VPAs & Montecs, Big John Custom & 2216 Arrows
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

I have both traditional and thumbhole and I love to shoot them both. The thumbholes do take a bit more dexterity to hit the safety but it becomes second nature very quickly.

As far as wood stock being heavy, old or ugly, you really need to take a look :shock: at some of Agingcrossbower's work. Besides the perfect fit that only a custom stock can provide, I think these handcrafted beauties look far more "futuristic" than any of the standard issue stocks. Yes synthetic stocks have some advantages but I have yet to see one that can compete with a finely crafted wood stock.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

xcaliber wrote:I got a thumbhole stock on my muzzle loader many years ago, hooked ever since. Comfort, and control for me.
I feel the same way started out with a Muzzleloader with thumbhole and any crossbow I own will have a thumbhole I just love them.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

When I bought my first Excalibur I only looked at thumbhole stocks. My first was the Equinox and sold it for my Matrix 355. Never had an issue with sticks or brush getting in the thumbhole. Taking the safety off is simple, quick and has never been a burden.

I did pick up an Excalibur traditional stocked crossbow in a store, but was quickly turned off from the sharp edges that contact the web between my thumb and fingers. I didn't shoot it, so these sharp edges might not be an issue. I just didn't understand their purpose.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's