Center Serving

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Center Serving

Post by 8ptbuk »

Got a great deal on BCY .030 Crossbow serving and was wondering how it holds up compared to the Halo .030 Ive been using . Thanks for any replies :)
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
8ptbuk

Re: Center Serving

Post by 8ptbuk »

I got 4 new spools for 28.77 on ebay I couldn't resist ! :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you can get it on tight enough not to separate Halo is by far more superior in wear characteristics. The higher denier count makes for an extremely dense serving while at the same time being very slippery makes it superior.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Is center serving seperation caused by the strands actually loosening or the string stretching underneath the serving ? I dont hardly see how these D97 strings can stretch like they do and the serving not seperate . Thoughts ?

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

The strands of the string carry a lot of wax between fibers. That wax under the serving migrates in time and cause the serving to essentially come loose. Consecutive servings do not have to deal with the excess wax.
D97 has a whole lot less creep than it appears to have. The wax between fibers and between strands is what causes almost all of the string creep.
Dacron has far more creep yet if done right (or served a second time) does not produce a string with separated servings.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thanks for your input Boo . :D

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Waif

Post by Waif »

Indeed, thanks Boo for sharing your knowledge and observations. Saving us lots of time learning string characteristics and compositions.
I never realized the effect of wax on migration,just thought it was wear causing shifts. Waxed on faith thinking it was a conditioner and guarded against moisture to a point.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
strum

Post by strum »

Waif wrote:Indeed, thanks Boo for sharing your knowledge and observations. Saving us lots of time learning string characteristics and compositions.
I never realized the effect of wax on migration,just thought it was wear causing shifts. Waxed on faith thinking it was a conditioner and guarded against moisture to a point.
I think he is talking about the wax used in the making of the string. not the wax we use to keep our serving conditioned. although I have seen some guys post that they never wax their strings. what say you Boo?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Post by Boo »

strum wrote:
Waif wrote:Indeed, thanks Boo for sharing your knowledge and observations. Saving us lots of time learning string characteristics and compositions.
I think he is talking about the wax used in the making of the string. not the wax we use to keep our serving conditioned. although I have seen some guys post that they never wax their strings. what say you Boo?
Yep!
Waif

Post by Waif »

Right , explanation more clear than mine, its function improving after time and a reserving the clue it was embedded wax in heart of string.
I was not considering the stock string made out of being waxed , when decades ago waxing bow strings ,probably to much. :)Boo,s description a clue to serving separation I wondered about and thought was normal wear,but seems is more movement than wear.
(A small and a late step in learning string but I like it.)
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.