Buck tale

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Broadside

Buck tale

Post by Broadside »

I didn't make it out hunting at all last year because of work, but I have been out a few times this year. The first few times I went out, I sat in a blind observing a field and only saw one doe, about 120 yards out, and she didn't come any closer. I saw a lot of bluejays, and some of the squirrels that you consider shooting because they're so loud.

Last week I had some vacation time and I visited my parents. I had a couple days to hunt with my dad, so last Wednesday we went out for muzzle loader season. My dad has a muzzleloader, but I don't. With only one gun between us, we decided to sit in the stand together and see what we could see.

When we arrived at our field of choice, we pulled the SD card out of the trail camera (which works about 50% of the time, sometimes), and put the SD card in our digital camera to see what creatures had been around. On the tiny one inch squared display screen of the camera, we saw these two monsters:

The first guy had been there two days ago, and the second buck had been there the night before. There was just the one photo of each of them, and both of the photos were at night time. Still a very good sign!

It was around one o'clock when we climbed up the mossy ladder to our rickety stand (no joke), loaded up the old smoke cannon, leaned back, and waited. And waited. And waited... Not a bluejay to be seen, or even one of those annoying squirrels.

After about an hour and a half, I fell asleep. No excuse, I just fell asleep. I woke up about half an hour later, still holding the half-cocked nose-loader. I didn't miss much during my little nap, but I felt fresh! My vision was sharp. Nothing could escape my gaze as I scanned the forest.

About three hours after getting in the stand, with daylight just starting to fade, my dad whispered "There's a deer!" and I followed his eyes to the far right corner of the field, where I could see a deer slowly making its way towards us from about 130 yards. I lifted the gun and used the scope to get a better look. My dad decided to get his binoculars out of their velcro case, but the velcro was made better than our trail camera and refused to lend access to the visual aid without a noisy protest, so I passed him the gun to look through. "No antlers."

The deer kept stopping and looking to its right (our left) every once in a while. It continued to slowly make its way towards us, and I watched it, scope still raised, for about ten minutes before noticing movement to my left. I whispered "movement left" and shifted the gun to get a better look. I could see what looked like the front end of a deer, but there was foliage in the way and it wasn't moving. I watched it for about thirty seconds before it moved again, and now I was sure it was a deer, but there were too many branches to get a clear look. Another thirty seconds, and the deer took five steps out of cover, maybe 75 yards away, and I saw antlers. "Antlers! There's antlers!" Another play-by-play from my dad.

I set my aim and thumbed the hammer, locking it into the rear-ready position with a loud click. The buck stopped all movement and stared what I'm sure was through the scope, directly into my right eye. I pushed off the safety, then moved my finger back to the trigger, and began to - BANG!.

The trigger pull on my fathers muzzle loader is ridiculously light.

Anyway, here's our buck:

Looks like the guy from one of the photos above! The recovery was only about 30 yards, and dragging him over the snow was easy. Nine points! My personal best :D Although it was a team effort.

Thanks dad!
Pydpiper

Re: Buck tale

Post by Pydpiper »

Swamp buck, and a nice one!
LEO I am guessing?
Congrats on a great deer, and a great story!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Waif

Post by Waif »

What a great hunt with a great buck to go with it! Well told too.
Congrats.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

lol @ "began to...BANG!" :mrgreen:

Nice deer, congratulations!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
coors

Post by coors »

Nice buck you will remember your hunt with your dad forever.
maple

Post by maple »

That boy has more luck than a bag of one-sided quarters.

I enjoyed hunting with you too Broadside. We'll do it again sometime. :wink:

XOXOXOloveDad
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Great story, congrats! That's all foreign to me as my dad and I never did squat together and he doesn't hunt or fish. You're a lucky guy and a good son for taking the time to hunt with the old man! :wink:
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!! to you both.
The best things in life are not things!!
ottawacats

Post by ottawacats »

Congrats on the fine buck that you guys took.

Where abouts in the Ottawa area you guy hunting? Im just south of the city in Osgoode.

Matt
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

congrats to the piar of you!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to y'all on the fine deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats very nice deer. :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Congratulations on a nice buck and thanks for the great story.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

CONGRATULATIONS on an awesome hunt! What a big beautiful buck! That'll fill the freezer for sure! :D

Great hunt story - great read! Another wonderful father & son hunt memory made! I look forward to reading the next one already! :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.