heavier bolts and how to achieve them?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

scottycoyote

heavier bolts and how to achieve them?

Post by scottycoyote »

i was thinking of trying something a little heavier in my xbow just to see how it works out, and i was wondering, other than shooting heavier broadheads, how do you get a heavier bolt? Is it pretty much about just going with more length, or does someone make a bolt thats just heavier than standard. WHats the heaviest bolt you can shoot and still have good accuracy and speed?
paulaboutform

Re: heavier bolts and how to achieve them?

Post by paulaboutform »

I believe aluminum bolts (2219) are probably the heaviest. Also, brass inserts are available and I think they weigh about 110gr.. lumenoks add weight, longer veins...not sure how heavy you're looking to go but good luck with it.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I use 18" Easton 2219 aluminum shafts, with a 3.5" wrap and fletch them with 2" Bohning Blazer vanes. My complete arrow (less the tip) weighs 300 grains. I use 170 grain NAP Thunderhead broadheads which gives me a total of 470 grains. I calculated my FOC is 15%. Super accurate out of my Matrix 355.
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

5/8th fish arrow inside a 2213. How heavy you want? :? LOL
Cherokeeson

Post by Cherokeeson »

GT Laser IV's weigh 13.9 gr per inch. I shoot 20" GT Laser IV with 92gr brass upfront, Lumenok on the back, Blazers and a 125 gr head. Brings me to right at 542gr.
Equinox (Exodus) - Vari-Zone - Big John Custom Arrows
Swhackers, Mangus Stingers
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
—Albert Einstein
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

No need to buy new shafts or finished bolts. These weight collars add kinetic energy and increase FOC using you existing setup. I'm ordering some to try myself.
http://goldtip.com/componentlanding.aspx?page=4

There are these too:
http://www.crossbow-review.com/ReviewPa ... ooster.htm

There was a post a while back where a dude who had pics of carbon shaft damage which happened from the back side of the wing blades (Swhacker) contacting the sides of the shaft on opening. These options should make that moot, as even if the contact did happen, it would be to solid metal, not the carbon/epoxy shaft. :wink:
Last edited by Lake shooter on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I use 120gn brass insets but have cut down the arrows to 18 in. With lumenoks I am over 500 gn. Like the accuracy and energy. Short arrow decreases loss of energy to flexing at impact too - works for me.
scottycoyote

Post by scottycoyote »

thanks guys that was the kind of info i was looking for. My arrows right now are right around 370, i just wanted an easy way to try out something in the 500 to 600 range without spending a lot of money.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

What model crossbow are you shooting?
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

paulaboutform-

You said "Also, brass inserts are available and I think they weigh about 110gr". Is that in reference to the 2219 shafts? If brass inserts are available for 2219 shafts I'd like to know where from. :D

Thanks,
~E
scottycoyote

Post by scottycoyote »

exomax