Shooting rest

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rattlerun

Shooting rest

Post by rattlerun »

What is everyone using as a shooting sled for sighting in my Matrix 355. Don't plan on using it to hunt with, just for sighting purposes.
Thanks
Peacemaker

Re: Shooting rest

Post by Peacemaker »

I have a lead sled for my rifles and it works fine for my exocet. Of course you can't use the velcro strap across the rail, but it is a solid sighting platform. You do need to be careful that the bow is properly positioned; though it hasn't happened to me, I suppose the noseheaviness of the bow could send it toppling over the front of the sled if not placed with the butt of the stock pushed firmly against the "butt rest(?)".
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Leadsled but be careful that the front rest pad does not sit higher than your rail deck or you will have a rude surprise when the string hits it :shock:
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I just use an attached Harris bench rest Bipod and shoot off a picnic table or my portable shooting bench. I started using the Harris Bipod, so my daughter didn't have to hold the front of the crossbow up during shooting.

During the hunt we use the shooting rail in our 2 person ladder stand without the Bipod.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

Harris Bipod off the bench. I use a tripod for a made for photography I got for $3 at the flea market painted flat black with a V mounted to the top in the ground blind.
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I don't know the actual name of the rest I use as I bought it years ago for sighting my rifles. It's red, plastic, and fully adjustable. You can find all over (wal mart, cabellas, bass pro, etc...) If memory serves correctly it was about $25-$35. Great way to eliminate the 'human' factor.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

I use the Primos Anchor Adjustable Group Therapy Rest. It comes with a pin to quickly detach the front half from the back half for storage. Changed that for a bolt and very happy using the rest to sight by bow in with. No complaints.
Equinox (2011)
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR Scope
HHA Optimizer
TriggerTech Target Trigger
OFAH Member
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

paulaboutform wrote:I don't know the actual name of the rest I use as I bought it years ago for sighting my rifles. It's red, plastic, and fully adjustable. You can find all over (wal mart, cabellas, bass pro, etc...) If memory serves correctly it was about $25-$35. Great way to eliminate the 'human' factor.
Would this be the same one? I've been happy with mine, of course there are better ones out there but this works. Made by MTM, it was about $35
Last edited by Kegbelly on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I use one of these Caldwell tri-pods, not as rock solid as shooting off a bench but more than good enough to practice and sight in with.
Image.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
NFH

Post by NFH »

I have a Caldwell I use for rifles but for xbow ranges I just use front and rear bags.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

yooper_man wrote:I just use an attached Harris bench rest Bipod and shoot off a picnic table or my portable shooting bench. I started using the Harris Bipod, so my daughter didn't have to hold the front of the crossbow up during shooting.

During the hunt we use the shooting rail in our 2 person ladder stand without the Bipod.

Andrew
X2
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

There seems to be many different kinds of Harris pods, which ones do you guys use ?? and does it connect on to the swivel or do you have to get a picatinny rail ? I been thinking of buying one to use on my bow and my rifles.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Clips on the front swivel . I have the short one they make . works great !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
westcoastruss

Post by westcoastruss »

8ptbuk wrote:Clips on the front swivel . I have the short one they make . works great !
X2.... Plus it makes the Matrix look bad-a**!

:D
Matrix 380 Xtra
Big John Zombie Slayers
Toxic broadheads
Red & White Xcaliber strings - Oh Canada!
"Y" Munch Mount
Trigger Tech trigger
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I use Harris HBRS bipod. Extends 6" to 9" Standard Legs (Bench Rest) "S" Series (Swivels)

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBRS.html

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's