Matrix 380 group size

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Matrix 380 group size

Post by paulaboutform »

This is a question only for those shooting a Matrix 380. What is your actual group size? No embellishments please. At 20 yards what size group? What's your setup? Eg. 18" Diablos with 150gr points & 1/2" group @20 yards. 2" quick spins and lumenoks. 1 1/2" group@ 60 yards. I'd love to know what your experience is so I know what to expect.
I just cut down my 20"Firebolts with lumenoks to 18". I used 110gr brass inserts with 100gr points. Stock 4"veins. I can't get the same bolt to hit the same hole twice! Total bolt weight is 440gr and 16.21% f.o.c..
I suspect something isn't right because my old exomax was a tack driver and I assumed this would be also. I will now try the diablos that come with the bow. I think something is wrong with my scope. The rear reticle (where the lens cover sits) turns too freely. Not the part that adjusts the speed but the whole rear part of the reticle.???? I'll investigate further but would love some input.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Cossack

Re: Matrix 380 group size

Post by Cossack »

A loose ocular bell will do that. It's only meant to be turned in and out to adjust the scope to your eye; do so then tighten the retention ring if there is one. If not, call Danny Miller and get it replaced.
Last edited by Cossack on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

dont know if your scope is off . that bring said try black eagles arrows with blazers 110 gr insert 100gr head my 380 cant shoot the same spot twice
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Shooting off my Caldwell , with 18in zombies brass incerts and 125 gr points will shoot 1/2 in groups at 30 yrds and 11/2 at 50. Which is fine with me I'm a happy camper ! :wink:
Oh ya 2 In blazers for veins
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

This may not help you much, but I never shoot at the same spot twice and I only shoot with BH's because I bought this rig to hunt, not target shoot. Having said that, even at 40 yards and with BH's I'd be afraid to shoot at the same spot 2-3 times......... yes, it's that accurate!!!!! :shock:

This is using using the stock Diablos with 125 gr Magnus Snuffers. The darn thing is even more of a tack driver with the 125 gr Swhackers!!!! 8)
Normous

Post by Normous »

The reticle are the lines or crosshair that are used for opticle measurment. Is the reticle turning? If it is then you have a bad scope and will be frustrated beyond belief till you exchange it with a good scope.
Question: Why always two posts everytime you start a new topic??
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

enormous wrote:The reticle are the lines or crosshair that are used for opticle measurment. Is the reticle turning? If it is then you have a bad scope and will be frustrated beyond belief till you exchange it with a good scope.
I've also noticed the double posting and have no idea why that happens. It's pretty annoying so my apologies to everyone.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

paulaboutform wrote:
enormous wrote:The reticle are the lines or crosshair that are used for opticle measurment. Is the reticle turning? If it is then you have a bad scope and will be frustrated beyond belief till you exchange it with a good scope.
I've also noticed the double posting and have no idea why that happens. It's pretty annoying so my apologies to everyone.
With the scope this is what is happening. Tact Zone...at the eye piece, closest to the butt, there is the small ring that shows - 0 + that seems normal as it will turn but offers slight resistance as it should. Forward of that is the main 'tube'. This is the part that has Excalibur written on it. It also has the ▲ pointing to the speed dial. This 'tube' part turns waaay too easily. It feels backed right out but if I tighten it the arrow pointing to the speed dial ends up on the bottom and I can't move the speed dial.
Normous

Post by Normous »

A call to Dawn at Excalibur monday is in order to start the exchange process. You got one of Excaliburs bad Tact Zone children.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Lghkmh

Post by Lghkmh »

Shooting off a rest at 40yds it will shoot dime size groups. I have shot 1 1/2 " groups at 60yds. I am useing BEE cut to 16" with 92gn inserts and 125gn point
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Too bad for me! I'm actually kind of relieved to figure out the problem...I hope. The scope is going back Monday and hopefully the new one will give me those 1" at 60yard groups I'm hearing about. I'll be trying the 18" Black Eagle Exocutioners with the 1110gr inserts and 2" Blazers. Shooting 100gr points. A friend in Ohio recommended this setup and said with this bow it would be almost boring for the tight groups it will shoot. I hope he's right.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Yes, great choice on your future arrows!
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I know I'm about to open a big can of worms. BUT...... 1 1/2" groups at 60 yards not good enough ? Come on guys a 2 mph difference in wind will cause that , a 5 grain difference in arrow weight , more glue on one vane, your arrow spine in a different spot , your cross hairs being 1/32 off from shot to shot , an arrow running out .005 not to mention limbs not being level will all cause at least an INCH in variance . The best bow shots in the country will put 198 out of 200 in the bullseye at 20 meters that's with large dia. arrows and custom target bows and years of shooting .
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

paulaboutform wrote:Too bad for me! I'm actually kind of relieved to figure out the problem...I hope. The scope is going back Monday and hopefully the new one will give me those 1" at 60yard groups I'm hearing about. I'll be trying the 18" Black Eagle Exocutioners with the 1110gr inserts and 2" Blazers. Shooting 100gr points. A friend in Ohio recommended this setup and said with this bow it would be almost boring for the tight groups it will shoot. I hope he's right.
WOW that's going to be Thor's hammer of an arrow weight and energy with 1110 grain inserts, but much less FPS's! Just kidding. I hope the new Tact-Zone scope works for you

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

yooper_man wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:Too bad for me! I'm actually kind of relieved to figure out the problem...I hope. The scope is going back Monday and hopefully the new one will give me those 1" at 60yard groups I'm hearing about. I'll be trying the 18" Black Eagle Exocutioners with the 1110gr inserts and 2" Blazers. Shooting 100gr points. A friend in Ohio recommended this setup and said with this bow it would be almost boring for the tight groups it will shoot. I hope he's right.
WOW that's going to be Thor's hammer of an arrow weight and energy with 1110 grain inserts, but much less FPS's! Just kidding. I hope the new Tact-Zone scope works for you

Andrew
IF one could actually get an 1110 grain insert, it sure would make for a quiet bow............. IF the bolt didn't snap first!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: