Leupold VX-R

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sullyy

Leupold VX-R

Post by sullyy »

Considering I hunt with my equinox 85% of times I'm out, I was going to get a new scope.

I generally hunt evenings, and most shots are within the last bit of legal light. So with that in mind my number one criteria is low light clarity with an illuminated reticle.

I believe I'd be fine with a single crosshair so lets not say that is an issue at the moment. I was looking at going with the VX-R 3-9x50.

I know it's big and bulky and that's ok.

Aside from that, is there any reason it wouldn't work? I've read some people say crossbow recoil damages rifle scopes. Any truth to that?

Will it work on a Matrix if I upgrade that in the future?

Are there any other scopes I should be looking at in a similar price range?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!
Normous

Re: Leupold VX-R

Post by Normous »

Considering the VX-R weight the 3-9 is not big and bulky. The VX-R is an awesome scope! You may mant to look at my VX-R 2-7 review here:
-copy and paste link
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=50314
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

sullyy wrote:Considering I hunt with my equinox 85% of times I'm out, I was going to get a new scope.

I generally hunt evenings, and most shots are within the last bit of legal light. So with that in mind my number one criteria is low light clarity with an illuminated reticle.

I believe I'd be fine with a single crosshair so lets not say that is an issue at the moment. I was looking at going with the VX-R 3-9x50.

I know it's big and bulky and that's ok.

Aside from that, is there any reason it wouldn't work? I've read some people say crossbow recoil damages rifle scopes. Any truth to that?

Will it work on a Matrix if I upgrade that in the future?

Are there any other scopes I should be looking at in a similar price range?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!
Picking a Leupold for your optic choice is never bad and I certainly wouldn't look to any other. All Leupold scopes can handle the reverse recoil found with air rifles and crossbows so no problem, but I can't speak for any others optics.

If you want an illuminated reticle then the Leupold VX-R is perfect. I feel the 2-7x33mm scope is perfect for Excalibur's crossbows. The 3-9x50mm will work, but I feel its overkill.

I personally use a Leupold a VX-I 2-7x33mm shotgun scope and it's real low light gathering characteristic during the last few minutes of light is superb even without illumination.

I use Leupold rifleman detachable low rings for mounting, but they don't come in 30mm. Leupold rifleman vertical split rings are my suggestion for your Leupold VX-R of your choosing.

Andrew
Last edited by yooper_man on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

I have been thinking about buying the 2-7 as well for my Ibex
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

ALL Leupold scopes are bright and clear! Period! As to brightness even the 1-4x20 scopes are BRIGHT and small and lighter weight. ( Exit pupil is the objective diameter divided by the power of the scope, so on a 2-7x33 scope the largest exit pupil is 16.5 on a 1-4x20 the exit pupil is 20 !!!) And I promise if there is any moon out on 1 power you can see fairly well at night! Leupolds are as amazing scopes as Excals are amazing bows.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Look at the VXR 1.25-4x20mm (30mm) Hog scope as well. While the VXR 2X7 is not bulky the Hog scope is even smaller.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting ... 20mm-30mm/
Some people just like stepping on rakes
FISH-ON

Post by FISH-ON »

Does anyone know of the flip caps, as I have the VXR 1.25-4 (20mm) and can't seem to find anything to protect the lens while your walking to your posts etc
If anyone has something, let me know

Thx
Normous

Post by Normous »

FISH-ON wrote:Does anyone know of the flip caps, as I have the VXR 1.25-4 (20mm) and can't seem to find anything to protect the lens while your walking to your posts etc

Thx
Take a look at Leupold Alumina Flip Up covers in their "Tools and Accessories" linup. They are not cheap but high in quality.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

While we are on the subject what can a man buy the xr scope for ? Been considering one myself
I'm a poor man with expensive tastes
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Normous

Post by Normous »

Mo wannabe wrote:While we are on the subject what can a man buy the xr scope for ? Been considering one myself
I'm a poor man with expensive tastes
OpticsPlanet.com has many scopes and some of the better prices on the Net and their VX-R prices are a bit on the better side than most. Don't try to order from Canada because their Export restrictions are very controlled and tough, even if you try to send scopes to a US address.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I used one of those off my Taczone for the back and ordered a 30mm one off of ebay that fit just fine. Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
NFH

Post by NFH »

enormous wrote:
FISH-ON wrote:Does anyone know of the flip caps, as I have the VXR 1.25-4 (20mm) and can't seem to find anything to protect the lens while your walking to your posts etc

Thx
Take a look at Leupold Alumina Flip Up covers in their "Tools and Accessories" linup. They are not cheap but high in quality.
+1 the Leupold Alumina Flip up covers! They are by far the best scope covers IMO. They're pricey but worth it to protect your expensive glass and have a clear view through your scope when the time comes. They flip up like Butler Creek scope caps BUT they can also be pressed flat against the scope (open) so they are out of the way. They're more durable than the butler creek caps and if you do manage to break them Leupold will take care of you. Locally they cost $40 each which is four times the cost of a Butler Creek but I have broken 4 BC caps on the same Muzzleloader before so I'm ok with the cost. I buy Leupold for the same reason I buy Excalibur; they are the best!
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor