October / November / December 2013

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

October / November / December 2013

Post by R.J. »

Hello all > Looks like everyone is having fun in the field ! > Keep the stories and pictures coming !

October 4th , Some bucks were showing up more frequently on trail camera’s > Carl S. sent me this picture .

Jacob G . Continued to put his New Excalibur Matrix 380 thru its paces , taking whitetail # 2 for the season ( a beauty buck ! )

Last week of October / First week of November , rut activity picked up in our areas > Some nice mature bucks started making mistakes .

This was one beauty buck from Wylie H’s crew .

Another beauty buck from Carl S’s crew .

Our crew didn’t have as much time to hunt together , full strength during the 1st shotgun week , but I was lucky enough to be there on the 1st morning when my friend Randy’s son Joe got his first buck !
He was set up on a trail we had cleared earlier in the season , covering a “rub line” trail when he put the smack down on this buck , that was chasing a doe !

Doug M. is usually on top of some mature bucks each season > This season was no different . Here is one of two that he took this year ( the other one was even bigger ! ) , his Excalibur Exocet gets the job done !

Doug's daughter , Morgan is an established whitetail hunter as well using Excalibur tackle ... here is a picture Doug sent me of her last buck ... another knarly rack buck > check out those brow times !

Wylie H . has been putting his time in as well with his Excalibur Vortex ... Yesterday morning he had a nice bodied 6 point buck in his scope @ 20 yards for more than 5 mins , but it was facing him and never did offer a good shot opportunity , it turned quick and left , then another plump whitetail showed up and made the mistake of standing broadside just long enough for Wylie to line up his Vortex !

Here is Wylie giving me the thumbs up as I look up from the deer trail towards the wheelchair ramp stand .

Arrow looked good ... easy blood trail to follow after a perfect double lung shot @ 20 yards = another late season tag filled !

I got lucky this week > Hunting from a stand I haven’t been at for awhile . It is not far off the ground ( here is a picture of my gear at the tree )

The stand overlooks a gully , where the deer stage below in the heavy cover … No good shot opportunity here .

But when they head up to the corn stubble thru a cut that I cleared at 30 yards > They are in a good spot for a broadside shot !

Several does and fawns travel past , when I saw a buck start up behind them … He was broadside at 30 yards , but spun into the arrow at the time of the shot as he busted back down towards the swamp . My Luminock gave me a good view as my 150 gr Boltcutter smashed into his shoulder . He donkey kicked and I later confirmed the arrow pinned his heart ! He was a scrapper , showing lots of battle scars and a knarly rack !

He had very little body fat > probably a result of the last two ruts and battles he had been in . ( you can see the nock end of my arrow in his shoulder ) , not the shot placement I was after but it did the job , thanks to the heavy broadhead and the wicked speed of my Excalibur Matrix 380 !

Dragged / Tagged / Field dressed and ready for the butcher.

Which by the way is what Court P. is doing in his spare time > He set up a small shop it his garage to cater to the group.

Does make for tasty late season tag fillers … Here is one I got @ 26 yards from a ground position by an apple tree in WMU87 . Excalibur Matrix 380 , Boo Custom String , 18 “ Diablo’s with 150 gr Boltcutter broadhead . Easy blood trail , easy recovery . The rain in the wet snow really wicks the blood trails out wide > But the rain play havock on pocket camera's ! Mine failed soon after the last picture > Took a few days to dry it out !

Chris H. got a beauty doe as well … Basically same Excalibur Matrix 380 set up as above . Man those bows are scary fast ! We are loving the compact 380's and the extra speed !

Good luck to all of you that are still chasing whitetails thru till seasons end > Hope you all have a good Christmas Holiday as well !
Last edited by R.J. on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: October / November / December 2013

Post by Doe Master »

Looks like you are having a good season, Rick . :)
Once again you never disappoint us with your pictures and story .
Thank you :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
wabi

Post by wabi »

Good to hear from you!
Thanks for the pics & updates. Looks like a good season this year.
wabi
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on all the deer!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Waif

Post by Waif »

Wonderful doins!
Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Wow!! Awesome! Congrats. Nice deer!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

Thanks for pics looked like you all where busy :)
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks all ...

It has been a busy year > Some up's and downs with health issues ( knee surgery / brusied ribs / back pain ) ... At one point I could barely cock my Matrix with the cocking aid > But I kept at it , got out when I could , to eventually connect on my 2nd whitetail of the season !

I couldn't be happier with the performance of my Matrix 380 ! > Took a nice fall tom turkey , a beauty whitetail doe , and then this knarly whitetail buck . All quality game for my area ...

It's also been fun watching the younger generation getting in on the game , with some beauty scores of their own .

Overall it's been great spending time with friends > the highs and the lows ( yep there have been a few misses this year ) ... but every year I get older , I realize how lucky we are to be able to get out and enjoy the outdoors > Friends and family have made it all possible !

I added a few more pictures to the thread above ( Morgan's buck and Wylies latest outing )

Again > Best wished to all over the Holidays , Safe Season . Shoot straight , have fun , and take lots of pictures !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Riverside archer

Post by Riverside archer »

Looks like a lotta fun! Good to see the health problems didn't keep you down.
roly

Post by roly »

Great post RJ like always!

Congrats to you and your gang on a great
season.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

awesome read! congrats to all
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great thread Rick! Love to see your posts.

Glad to see you managed to get out so much in spite of the personal physical challenges you were faced with this year. Good on you!

Man - you sure got a whole big pile of antlers on those photos! :shock: GOOD STUFF!

Congrats to all who connected - looks like it's been a very successful season!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Great post, Thanks!
"Eze 18:21"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Some good pics of some great deer RJ. Very nice. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks again all ... I added a few more pictures of late season does we scored over the last few days ...