Considering Building My Own String

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Considering Building My Own String

Post by amythntr »

Well....I love trying to make things...even if it more cost effective to buy them made....soooooo am considering making my own strings...

I have watched just about all there is to watch on Youtube on constructing a Flemish Twist String....

Each person who constructs one says, "you just have to do it and a lot of your questions will be answered."

The one question that seems elusive to me is long do the strands have to be for the Matrix 380?

I measured an extra string I purchased and found the measure to be 31 inches tip to tip of the string with 1.5" loops....so how long does the actual string have to be....
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Re: Considering Building My Own String

Post by amythntr »

Well that's a starting point...

So a string that begins at 55- 8.5" for each loop (55-8.5-8.5=38")...doesn't that come out too long for a string that ends up (according to the one I have) too long? (31")...

BTW thanks Excal for starting the dialog!

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...I thought I accounted for that in my equation? 55-8.5(loop 1)-8.5(loop2)= 38...

I quess I might be missing something...

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....nope...I am gonna build everything from the bottom up....just want to begin and have fun and learn....if for nothing else just to give it a try Xcal...

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...do you mean "carved tip"....does't the Matrix 380 have mag tips and aren't the Flemish twist strings meant for Mag not carved?

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Dont the Matrix series bows come with D97 endless loop strings ? And if so why doesnt excal offer an upgrade to a flemish like the long limb mag-tip bows ? Are the EL strings faster or slower than flemish ? How much if any ?
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thanks Dan ! I agree 2 to 5 fps no big deal . was wondering . thanks again .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
SixLomaz

Post by SixLomaz »

Do you know if the Dyna Flight 97 string and Angel Majesty serving material deteriorate with time if not used? Some plastic fibers loose characteristics over time if stored.
QLOPS - Qualified Licensed Official Pot Stirrer

"Hunting with Id10ts can and will kill you." This is the reason I prefer to hunt alone.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thanks Dan , Ive got to the point where I can make decent EL string . Ive done went through two spools of 452x material in the last few weeks ! Ive got strings hanging everywhere ! LOL I really enjoy making them . Thanks again for all your help ! Dont be surprized if I start bugging you on flemish strings soon ! :D

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Dash

Post by Dash »

The best thing to do is to get some material and have a go at a string using Dans measurements as an initial guide. Don't get to wrapped up in technical details, as your first string will be your guide, and it will be obvious where you need to make adjustments on the measurements from your first string. It's unlikely any two people twist to the same tension, so its normal your measurements may differ in measurements and quantity of twists.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I started making string by using inexpensive string material and making a Flemish, taking it apart and making it over. Must of made several dozen of those fake strings before soloing with real stringmaking material. Picked up some tips along the way, (Boo was particularly helpful for which I'm forever grateful). But mostly my technique for twisting became rote so the quality of the final product improved considerably.
My own testing shows that the speed of a string is determined not by if it's an EL or Flemish, rather by the string's weight. Fastest string I tested was an EL made entirely of Angel. It was about half the weight of the factory Flemish. Fast but it was both loud and harsh.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!