OLDER HUNTERS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

The Chief

Re: OLDER HUNTERS

Post by The Chief »

I am going to be 60 in March and am slightly overweight. I still drag them the old fashion way most of the time because its a PIA to go all the way back to the truck and get the cart. But when I shoot one that's big I use the cart. I have modified my cart because I don't like pulling from behind my back. My friend was throwing away an old grill so I grabbed 2 of the legs off it. The legs were L shaped I drilled into the legs and handles of the of the wheeler and used wing nuts to put them together thus making longer handles and the L facing each other. Now I step inside lift and pretty much push the cart with my waist holding the bar handles. I am going to add bicycle hand grips this year and maybe a strap assembly so That I don't have to hold it. Works great and when I get to the truck I put the hanels on the tailgate and push the cart as far as it will go and a quick lift on the wheel section and in the truck. Good luck I feel I can probably do it this way for another 15 years or so.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Well, as far as I'm concerned I'm not to old.
But definitely not in any health or shape to do this. So........ I have an Alfred! :lol:
That's his job in exchange for getting to go hunt anywhere I go, and on any of my properties. And I had to teach him how to Big game hunt and field dress, teach him archery, crossbow and Vert bow, and what equipment needed.
It's the right price for the labor he does for me. :wink:

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
SixLomaz

Post by SixLomaz »

I shoot them in such way that they run towards the truck. This way I do not have to drag too much. LOL - I wish it was that easy.

I use the slightly modified (stronger) Allsop Home and Garden Easy Folding Yard Cart. Easy in, easy out, and it stays put folded nicely next to me while I hunt.
QLOPS - Qualified Licensed Official Pot Stirrer

"Hunting with Id10ts can and will kill you." This is the reason I prefer to hunt alone.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i am 72 still drag the small deer . when they get larger use a cart when snow falls a sled anytime i can grab extra help i do. the sled works good on leaves also.
Boo

Post by Boo »

At 60 I find that I should not compress my spine or else I'll be living with excrutiating pain for a week. This year I had to drag 2 deer up a pretty steep embankment a couple of hundred feet. It may not see like much but it would have done my back in. In the past I would put a rope over my shoulder and pull but placing the rope around my waist made all the difference.
I saw an add last year for a roll up poylethelene sheet to drag a deer out with. I think that's a great idea and I'll try it next time I get a chance.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gtonini

Post by gtonini »

At 60 years old myself I live by the theory an older hunter gave me put your stand closer to the road. ;)
Rev X
Boo String
Rev X arrows
Swacker 150 grain
3x9 leuopold scope
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I'm 54 and also have a lot of balance issues too. I either have help of friends or drag it out of woods very slowly out of the woods a little at a time. Just take it slow and easy no need to rush!!!!
frisky

Post by frisky »

When the land owner is home I use this (yellow tractor) otherwise I drag it! :mrgreen:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

I am 48 and disabled but not confined to a wheelchair any longer. most of the dragging is done for me by my brother and nephews but once in a while I cannot get hold of help and when that happens i use a rope and my atv
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I just turned 59, am 5' 11" and 205. Not svelte by any means and also like many of you have constant lumbar pain, sometimes not too bad and sometimes keeps me in a chair for most of the day. I drug my November 12th buck about 4/10 mile to the vehicle, but I used a homemade drag strap that I made long before there were any "deer drags" on the market. It's just a 2" strap about 12' long with a loop sewn in each end. I pull the strap through the loops on each end making a slip loop, and then either put one around the base of each antler or both around a doe's neck, then pass the strap over my head and down to my waist, with my arms taking some load off my stomach. Just take off walking and stop every 50-80 yards for a quick breather. No problem, no weight, and takes up very little space in my pack. :wink:
Wayne Wynn

Post by Wayne Wynn »

http://s162.photobucket.com/user/waynew ... 5.jpg.html

I'm 73, I use this cart ,a NXT Shot Versa Cart. I loaded this nine point onto the cart with relative ease,I then moved it to a tree at my parking spot in the woods. The tree has an eyehook in an overhead branch. I attach a deer hoist to the hook, raise the deer ,then back the truck under him. EASY,even at my age!
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I'll soon be 65 and have chronic back pain. If I have my neighbor's 4 wheeler, I tie a piece of rope around the deer's neck and drag it short distances. If it's a long way, I throw the rope over a limb, make a loop in the rope about 2 feet off the ground, put one or both feet in the loop and use my weight to lift the deer high enough to get it on the 4 wheeler. To get out of the woods, I use a plastic deer sled. Once at the truck, I have a crank hoist that fits in the trailer hitch receiver to get it in the bed of the truck. Best of all worlds is to have the deer fall close to the truck. :D
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

At 61 I usually take a new kid hunting with me. I look for strong backs weak minds. LoL. I really do try to take a younger hunter out and get them interested in the sport. My nephew caught on after awhile now I have a friend from works son that hunts with me. He's 15 and is 6'6 225 lbs. Cheaper than a quad but that kid can eat.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

At 56 ( what happened I was just 21 a couple of years ago!!!) and have a relatively bad back (scoliosis) I am finding it more and more difficult to make the treks into the woods as I used to. Fortunately, I rarely hunt by myself and usually hunt with my brother in law, wife's uncle and either one of my two boys (28 and 22)....as such we all look out for each other (texting to remain in contact)....we all help each other.....living in NJ and hunting on state land it requires pulling the deer out for the most part by hand....so far it has worked and this year we as a family have harvested nine deer including two bucks...remember it is state land so for the most part the bucks are small.....I told my brother in law we should get tee-shirts and call ourselves "doe-nuts" because that is mostly what is presented to us and we harvest...I know I got a little sidetracked but its all about fun, family and putting food on the table to enjoy anything else is just an added gift from ABOVE....

Happy New Year to All!

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
cthunt

Post by cthunt »

I will be 68 this spring have chronic back pain and had two heart attacks still drag the deer under 100 pounds the ones that are bigger i make a call and get help from the younger kids to do the drag for me.
Not looking foreword to the day when i have to hang it up. :(
Ten point TL-7
Excalibur Ibex .
GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazer
nap nightmares 100grn.