Thoughts on deer eyesight and head movement

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Thoughts on deer eyesight and head movement

Post by Boo »

strum wrote:
Lake shooter wrote:"If the wind blows in their nose they will smell you no matter what you are wearing or doing to eliminate the human scent. "

I know that there are many who believe this to be true, but it's pure baloney in MY experience.

The first 3 deer that I killed with a bow, I was standing on the ground wearing a blaze orange vest AND hat, standing in the open on the edge of a greenfield. IMHO, having something behind you to break up your shape and preventing being skylighted are way more important than blaze orange. Move like cold molasses and they don't notice it as long as they aren't looking straight at you while doing so. :wink:
try that hunting around here..youll be eating baloney :lol: not venison
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I see lots of truths & opinions on this stuff. No need bust chops we all have tried things thru the yrs. Camo if'en you feel good wid it wear it. I dislike orange clothing, you can poo poo me if'en you want. I have sat many a day on the ground rifle huntin down home. Deer see it soon as they come into sight, maynot spook them but they sure knowed it weren't there yesterday mornin when they came thru. How good is deer's eyesight ? We all knowed they can see a sorry fly, fly at 50 yds. I don't care what colors they see, they can see movement big time. Their nose is good but it ain't nutten that can't be beat one way or another. Sounds they sort out, as long as it isn't plastic or metal which they don't hear out of yer stand area every day. Do i have camo clothin yes i do have some, & its warm thats why i have it, not cause it camo'ed. I would be fine in dull greens, browns, blk, grey's & so on.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

vixenmaster wrote:I see lots of truths & opinions on this stuff. No need bust chops we all have tried things thru the yrs. Camo if'en you feel good wid it wear it. I dislike orange clothing, you can poo poo me if'en you want. I have sat many a day on the ground rifle huntin down home. Deer see it soon as they come into sight, maynot spook them but they sure knowed it weren't there yesterday mornin when they came thru. How good is deer's eyesight ? We all knowed they can see a sorry fly, fly at 50 yds. I don't care what colors they see, they can see movement big time. Their nose is good but it ain't nutten that can't be beat one way or another. Sounds they sort out, as long as it isn't plastic or metal which they don't hear out of yer stand area every day. Do i have camo clothin yes i do have some, & its warm thats why i have it, not cause it camo'ed. I would be fine in dull greens, browns, blk, grey's & so on.
Dude...... I believe that we would get along! :wink:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people shoot down something because they can't do it themselves, for any reason. It matters not whether they're closed minded, had a bad experience, continue to believe the same old deer camp BS that they and theirs keep passing along or are simply too lazy.

All you folks who refuse to believe that anyone can have unalarmed deer downwind of them, and CLOSE, I'll simply continue doing what I do and smile to myself while shaking my head the next time it happens. If you're one of those 99.999% of hunters who put on your hunting duds and boots at home (like ALL of the TV hunters!!!!!!) and take them off when you return, the main part of the problem is staring back at you in the mirror!!!! :lol: 8) :wink:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Here in Virginia we have similar rules during gun season. You can get away with an orange hat by itself or an orange vest. Heck, they'll even let you take it off as long as it is displayed within arm reach and visible from any direction. I have a friend that leaves an orange vest in his tree year round. Personally, I only wear the hat since I hunt on land where I will not be seeing any other hunters. If it was public land, then I would probably opt for the vest just for safety sake.

As for what deer see, I've killed deer after work while stalking in blue jeans wearing an orange vest and hat. But I am also certain that deer can pick out an orange vest in the woods. That color stands out to the human eye because it isn't typically found in nature. While it may not appear as orange to a deer, I think it stands out as an unnatural color to them just the same. I've been 30 feet up a tree in gun season and had a doe 20 yards away turn in an instant and look right up in the tree at me. I wasn't moving and she didn't smell me, but the color I was wearing wasn't normal. She didn't spook because I didn't move, but she certainly checked me out because I 'stood out'. I do believe deer can become conditioned to avoid areas with lots of orange vests the same way late season ducks get wary of motion decoys. If you hear a loud boom every time you get near that color, you would avoid it too.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Lake shooter wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:I see lots of truths & opinions on this stuff. No need bust chops we all have tried things thru the yrs. Camo if'en you feel good wid it wear it. I dislike orange clothing, you can poo poo me if'en you want. I have sat many a day on the ground rifle huntin down home. Deer see it soon as they come into sight, maynot spook them but they sure knowed it weren't there yesterday mornin when they came thru. How good is deer's eyesight ? We all knowed they can see a sorry fly, fly at 50 yds. I don't care what colors they see, they can see movement big time. Their nose is good but it ain't nutten that can't be beat one way or another. Sounds they sort out, as long as it isn't plastic or metal which they don't hear out of yer stand area every day. Do i have camo clothin yes i do have some, & its warm thats why i have it, not cause it camo'ed. I would be fine in dull greens, browns, blk, grey's & so on.
Dude...... I believe that we would get along! :wink:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people shoot down something because they can't do it themselves, for any reason. It matters not whether they're closed minded, had a bad experience, continue to believe the same old deer camp BS that they and theirs keep passing along or are simply too lazy.

All you folks who refuse to believe that anyone can have unalarmed deer downwind of them, and CLOSE, I'll simply continue doing what I do and smile to myself while shaking my head the next time it happens. If you're one of those 99.999% of hunters who put on your hunting duds and boots at home (like ALL of the TV hunters!!!!!!) and take them off when you return, the main part of the problem is staring back at you in the mirror!!!! :lol: 8) :wink:
I was in the MI. UP this year hunting new land. New setups I was in my stand giving directions to my hunting partner which slashings and limbs had to be cleared for shooting lanes. Three days later first time hunting that spot, watched deer literally walk up to darn near all the cut slashings and smell them. Obviously the deer were smelling my friends scent from his hands or the fresh cut or both? Don't believe he was wearing gloves. With that said myself included we seem to forget to spray down or try to keep or hunting equipment clean of scent as best we can. Those deer reminded me of the things I need to be efficient with. Anything to get an edge.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I will tell y'all sumpin i let my furbabys lay on my camo whenever they want to. My girls have the run of this 70 acres n deer smell them year around. You knowed who i smell like :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I would hang a orange hat in the stand by a string and leave it all year. Make sure the hat can blow in the wind.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I hunt VA, too....and I completely forgot that I can just leave the orange on the stand. That is the answer. That is what I do (and that is the law) when I am hunting in a blind during deer season, so I can apply it in the stand as well.

I do need to comply with the law 100% because I sometimes hunt with my teenage boys, and they are being trained to comply with the law (and safety "rules") all the time, every time.

Thanks for the helpful answers and discussion. 5 more days of statewide hunting season....then a couple of months of antlerless archery season in my suburban backyard.....then back to fishing and watersports till next fall...
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Peacemaker wrote:I hunt VA, too....and I completely forgot that I can just leave the orange on the stand. That is the answer. That is what I do (and that is the law) when I am hunting in a blind during deer season, so I can apply it in the stand as well.

I do need to comply with the law 100% because I sometimes hunt with my teenage boys, and they are being trained to comply with the law (and safety "rules") all the time, every time.

Thanks for the helpful answers and discussion. 5 more days of statewide hunting season....then a couple of months of antlerless archery season in my suburban backyard.....then back to fishing and watersports till next fall...
And, if you let it blow in the wind, the critters will get used to it moving around. Only shortfall, it allows other folks to know your hunting place . . .if that's a concern.

Good luck out there.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
frisky

Post by frisky »

If you are gun hunting, Wisconsin says 50 % orange and hat IF worn must be orange. I believe you can't get ennuf orange. I am all orange except my camo gloves. :mrgreen:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting