Considering a 405 be Honest With Yourself

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Considering a 405 be Honest With Yourself

Post by amythntr »

OK....I decided to cock & decock my 380 a few times tonight as I might be going out for winter bow in NJ (runs through January 21st) tomorrow. I purchased the 380 in November and have shot about 40 bolts through it....

....now the hard part.....I am 5'4", 56 with fairly strong upper body strength ....I should have been between 5'7" and 5'8" but due to Scoliosis there is about 4" in the curve....I am where I am...I have torn cartilages in both shoulders...

With all that said I went through the process about 6 times and learned something....I am at my maximum in terms of what I can pull back to cock (any longer power stroke and a cranking device is a MUST)....I did find the decocking process not a big deal except for the fact that again I was at the end of where I could pull up to hold as I pulled the trigger and depressed the ADF....Sooooooo

I hope this helps some of you....don't get wrapped up in speed and MOST IMPORTANTLY...be honest with yourselves as to where your capabilities are maxed out....the power stroke on the 380 is my limit...I feel sooooo relieved not lusting for anything faster!......

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
IronNoggin

Re: Considering a 405 be Honest With Yourself

Post by IronNoggin »

[email protected] wrote:...I feel sooooo relieved not lusting for anything faster!......
Keep Repeating that to yourself over and over Anthony! :lol:

I KNOW I am! :wink:
And... Hoping it works! :shock:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Yep, Excalibur but not to the point of discomfort...but just to the point where I know I am maxed out....

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Yep, Excalibur but not to the point of discomfort...but just to the point where I know I am maxed out....

Anthony

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
NFH

Post by NFH »

I have never been one to obsess over having the fastest bow available even though that seems to be a popular trend in modern archery. At 5'8" I feel I am at my limit with the 355 Matrix on draw Length and the speed is plenty for me. Anything longer and I have to strain a little (short arms maybe?). I will be checking out the 330 matrix when they hit stores just to check the fit. Glad to hear you will have some extra arrow and broadhead $ this year since you won't be cashing in the 405 fund. :wink:
Last edited by NFH on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Sorry Excalibur...I think i misread your response....I attach the first latch on the string and I would say I pull the string up maybe an inch to attach the second latch....that part is really not a big deal!

Anthony

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Thanks Ironnoggin....I have....I am at peace!..... :lol:

Anthony

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Interesting....If I start to feel some discomfort...I will definitely start by shortening the cocking rope by 1" to start...can't believe all of the mechanical engineers we have on the forum and I am just a lowly accountant!.... :lol:

Thanks guys,

Anthony

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

love it xcalibur....another learning tip....any IRS queries...ask away....most people
have called their 401k's a 201k...lol....I like the idea of shortening the rope....the paradigm does seem to change however as the temperature drops..... :lol:

Anthony

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

Its going to be a beast to cock, will work for some and not others but they have the C2 crank cocker so if you want the extra speed you can still get one.
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
Waif

Post by Waif »

Yes , shortening the cocking rope will be tried here in the future as well.
About 5 foot -10. Pulling cocking rope while seated in wheel chair and at end wind up leaning back and pushing stirrup with only leg , at end of leg stretch it latches. Easier than it sounds, but no draw length to spare at all. Any will help, and inch increments sound right to try. 405 will have to wait, no offence l.o.l.. I might be willing to try to cock it just to shoot it. :D
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

I do understand some guys thinking it maybe a beast to cock, for NOW i am 44 and do concrete work for a living , and i am still pretty solid. I really love the speed idea, BUT i like the huge cut of the slick trick Grizztrick 2 and i am worried with the huge increase in speed above my Equinox they may fly crazy to the point i have to weight the arrow down alot to shoot straight. BUT i think it would be really nice to have a smaller rig in the woods too :roll: Holly Crap!!! I just described the freakn 380 :shock: thats the dang bow i should be researching :oops: well see how being honest with yourself works out :D !!!
Waif

Post by Waif »

Yikes! Need to get some miles and kills out of this Axiom first. I think. :lol:
Talked to a guy today who will be after a cross bow next fall, having spent his cross bow fund on something else. :shock: I offered to let him try mine,nice guy that I am. :roll:
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Dash

Post by Dash »

I won't get caught up in the speed debate, I think get whatever you feel comfortable with. But for those older or injured fellas who may be struggling with the 380, try lengthening the cocking rope. Using the cocking rope excal provided, meant I was putting strain on my back at shocking angle to cock the 380. The hooks were inches short of reaching the string.
After installing a proper full length rope, in which the cocking rope hooks just reach the string, the 380 seems easier to cock than a 200lbs model for me now, due to a short cocking stroke and the fact your back is almost not bent over anywhere near as much. Your back stays in a much straighter stronger position.
With the old models a short cocking rope used to help with the long cocking stroke. But with the new models a longer rope makes it easier to cock as the bow has a short stroke.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

xcaliber wrote:Anthony, I have to pull mine up about 4". This is where i tied my cocking rope off, it makes it a little hard to get the second latch on, but pulling to cock it is much shorter, and easier to let down as well.
I could handle the 380 just fine, but went with the 355, and will look at the 330 in a few years as well. I still enjoy shooting my Vortex, so no hurry here.
I have mine so that the string is just below the arrow retainer once both latches are hooked on. Requires me to pull string up about 4-5" on my 380 before hooking on the latches. Then cocking the bow is only a matter of standing up. I bet an Equinox with its longer power stroke would be harder to draw than a 405. But the Nox ain't for everyone either.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits