Stringing aid

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Huronsteel

Stringing aid

Post by Huronsteel »

I took my string off my m355 today and I'm just wondering why does the Excalibur stringing aid have that plastic tube on the rope I slid it over so I could use my cocking rope, did I do something wrong.
Dash

Re: Stringing aid

Post by Dash »

Unlike your bow string the aid has no serving to protect it. So its just to stop damage where the trigger contacts the stringing aid. Otherwise if the stringing aid wears a bit, it could snap and dryfire.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Dash is right on the money with his advice . I cut my plastic off and served it with BCY center serving ! Looks and works great !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Huronsteel

Post by Huronsteel »

Great idea dash I'm going to get some serving material and do the same thing
Huronsteel

Post by Huronsteel »

I mean great idea 8ptbuk
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Wow! I wish I had thought of that. Great advice.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Dash

Post by Dash »

I can't take credit for that. I think it was Boo mentioned serving the stringing aid on the forum a long time back. Its works well to serve the stringing aid as long as don't use it every day.
While I was making a lot of strings, I used to mount every string on the bow just to double check measurements. Eventually this stretched my stringing aid, causing the serving to spread. No big deal to reserve.
But where I work now we have an endless supply of high pressure pneumatic air tubing, it works perfect as a replacement and lasts longer than the Excal tube. That's the easier option for me now. It would be very cheap to buy only a foot of this tubing from a pneumatic supply shop for anyone who needs to replace the tubing.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I trash the tubes. I'm of the opinion it's there to save your hands, lol. I use a rope cocker w/ stringing aid......

I've never worn out a rope cocker, btw.
"Eze 18:21"
Dash

Post by Dash »

[quote="awshucks]
I've never worn out a rope cocker, btw.[/quote] I've worn through a few threads when the tube first wore through, but changed the tube and string before any chance of it snapping. I do give it a hiding checking every string I make.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I served mine for the sceond time. First time I didn't stretch the rope on my server jig and it separated some. Being anal....this time I stretched it and used simple diamondback serving. Looks cool
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

I pulled my tube off, cut in sections as wide as the rail, then put only one of those back on the stringer for hook protection. Keep the rest for backup 8)
Nox & Max, Xcaliber Strings, Vixenmaster Strings, Dynaflight String, Munch Mounts, S5's, Nikon Bolt XRs, VPAs & Montecs, Big John Custom & 2216 Arrows