Flemish string weavers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fuzzy

Flemish string weavers

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boo

Re: Flemish string weavers

Post by Boo »

Two bundle strings and servings do not have to be lumpy, oval or anything but round but yes it is easier to make a 3 bundle string and serving round.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

xcaliber wrote:X2! I have seen the work of Boo, and VixenMaster, their 2 bundle strings are relatively round! The maker can get both bundles to lay nicely, this is where the experience comes in! I have made multiple bundle strings, they are time consuming to make.
Dan, I really mean no offense, but my strings and servings are round.
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

You can definitely produce a two bundle flemish twist string that is round. The strings that I make now are round. The very first strings that I made did have an oval shape until I started reading a bit more on string making. This website has an excellent set of photos that show how to make a round 2 bundle string.

http://www.rmsgear.com/store/pc/tutoria ... bundle.asp
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
Dash

Post by Dash »

There's a big difference in the construction of a braided rope and a well made flemish string Fern, I understand your thinking but its like comparing apples and oranges.
Hi Fuzzy, Your string is unround because it wasn't great workmanship, not because it was 2 bundle.
I used think the same, that more bundles would make a more perfectly shaped string. I've made 2,3,and 4 bundle strings, but after thoroughly testing all and getting no advantages at all from more bundles I returned to 2 Bundle strings again.
In cases where the workmanship is not perfect, it will be more obvious in a 2 bundle, where as a 3 or 4 can make bad workmanship less obvious at first glance. But, when the standard of workmanship is high, the string will be round regardless of the bundle count. Its all about the workmanship, not bundle count.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Dash wrote:There's a big difference in the construction of a braided rope and a well made flemish string Fern, I understand your thinking but its like comparing apples and oranges.
Hi Fuzzy, Your string is unround because it wasn't great workmanship, not because it was 2 bundle.
I used think the same, that more bundles would make a more perfectly shaped string. I've made 2,3,and 4 bundle strings, but after thoroughly testing all and getting no advantages at all from more bundles I returned to 2 Bundle strings again.
In cases where the workmanship is not perfect, it will be more obvious in a 2 bundle, where as a 3 or 4 can make bad workmanship less obvious at first glance. But, when the standard of workmanship is high, the string will be round regardless of the bundle count. Its all about the workmanship, not bundle count.
Amen!
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dash

Post by Dash »

fuzzy wrote:Thanks for the heads-up fellows, makes good sense. Dash, can we not have 3 or more bundles and good workmanship also :( ?. More surface (less voids) for serving to bite into. Would make me feel better about hunting with one, you know mind games and all. :) Good luck.
Yes you can have both, If its a personal thing you can have 6 or more bundles if you want, its all personal.
Issues like out of round strings, voids, or serving separation/grip issues are not a result of bundle count, but poor workmanship, regardless of whether its a 2/3/4 bundle string. These are issues you won't have with a quality string maker, so if youré string looks poor, it means you need to change string maker, not bundle count. But if youré personal preference is for more bundles, thats fine too, as long as its not made by the same string maker who done you're last 'low quality string :wink:
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »