Any Jack Hunters out there???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jackhunter1974

Any Jack Hunters out there???

Post by jackhunter1974 »

I know that this is primarily a deer hunter forum, but I had to ask! Any jack rabbit hunters out there?? I was just wondering if anybody is facing the same frustration I am. I have been out hunting jacks in south central Ontario and have seen one jack in three outings with tracks mainly around farm buildings and houses. I found jack tracks to be sporadic. What I mean is one field has many tracks and the others around it nothing!!!! And go figure where the tracks are permission to hunt is usually "NO". All my former hot spots are dead. No Tracks. No action. Are there any southern Ontario hunters finding the same scenarios?
By the way I love reading the deer stories.... sure keep me motivated!
Fred T

Re: Any Jack Hunters out there???

Post by Fred T »

I would hunt them if I seen em.Have not seen hardly a track this or many years previous.They were in abunance decades ago but I assume the massive increase in the yote population is the main reason fot the scarcity.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I think the coyote population in SW Ontario has thinned then out a lot over the last number of years . I am seeing fewer every year .
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I was fortunate enough to be invited along on a couple jack hunts, and I can say it probably the most fun I have had hunting, right up there with groundhogs.
Lots of shooting, with great people makes for some memorable hunts!
For those who have not tried it, I recommend it, for those with a shortage of rabbits, I hope the tide turns for you, and I am sure it will.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

Haven`t seen a jack in 50 years.
My Uncle`s b.I.l. would come to Our 1500 acre farm and take 60 to 70 jacks a night. The first year they took over 400 jacks. After 5 or 6 years you could only see a dozen or so in a evening. by 1960 you would be lucky to see one or two .
Jacks were so thick they would destroy any row crop
you tried to grow. Now it`s only cotton tails, and few of them.
mark 10 :13
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I'm seeing the odd one coyote hunting but don't shoot them now. I did take one with the Excal the last day I deer hunted this year.
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

and I don't care what anyone says ! if you can shoot a rabbit the same size as the deer with your bow on the last week , your doing darn good ! :mrgreen:
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Dash

Post by Dash »

Could it be virus/disease control maybe ???
It was first Myxomatosis that thinned the rabbits out over here originally, although most rabbits are resistant to it here now.
In more recent years its the khaleesi virus that knocked rabbit numbers back down, after it was introduced by the government that was. It's a very quick killer. Within 24hrs I believe. Its a relatively young virus that's so efficient it wipes pockets of rabbits out before it has time to spread in lower population areas between west and east Australia. (Neither affect people by the way)
Either of these in the rabbit population in the US/Canada ?
Dash

Post by Dash »

Like Pyd said, "lots of shooting with bunnies" . For me more action is what makes it so much fun. Keeps you sharp too, not much room for error. Despite shooting more often, for me its cheaper as I can use blunts and not be paying out for expensive broadheads.
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

There is no "official" control of bunnies other than natural predators mainly coyotes.The yote population has risen dramatically in our region the last few decades so I suspect that has a lot to do with declining bunny numbers.

I remember some years back seeing images from Aus of the result from the planned virus introduction.Looked like a massive kill off.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Fred T wrote:There is no "official" control of bunnies other than natural predators mainly coyotes.The yote population has risen dramatically in our region the last few decades so I suspect that has a lot to do with declining bunny numbers.

I remember some years back seeing images from Aus of the result from the planned virus introduction.Looked like a massive kill off.
They were actually experimenting here with the khaleesi virus first, to check it wouldn't hurt aussie animals. Before the government research was finished to deem the virus safe, the virus "somehow" got off the island research facility and was spreading fast across the mainland of the East :roll:
But where numbers are low, and sparse in the dry areas of Aussie, the virus doesn't spread well due to killing too quick. So luckily for me I can't say it has affected my fun too much in the West. They are tough little buggers. It amazes me they can adapt to snowy areas over there yet survive so well in dry desert areas here, with no ground water, and regular 110 plus weather, and only salt bush to eat.