DIY broad head target ideas

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fred T

DIY broad head target ideas

Post by Fred T »

I already have a good field point target and don't want to drop another $80-100 on another target.Anyone have a suggestion for a simple BH target ?It doesn't need to be pretty and won't get much abuse since I will just use it for a quick test to varify my BH's are flying similar to field points.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Kegbelly

Re: DIY broad head target ideas

Post by Kegbelly »

If there is a Tractor Supply store near you, you might run across some solid styrofoam blocks, they're roughly 11"x11"x18". When they ship big stuff like trailers to the store they stack them and use the blocks between them. My local store saves them for recycling but they'll let you have some for free. I put some in a big cardboard box as a backstop but they should stop broadheads for a few shots. I would try it with an old arrow first just in case you get a pass through.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Kegbelly wrote:If there is a Tractor Supply store near you, you might run across some solid styrofoam blocks, they're roughly 11"x11"x18". When they ship big stuff like trailers to the store they stack them and use the blocks between them. My local store saves them for recycling but they'll let you have some for free. I put some in a big cardboard box as a backstop but they should stop broadheads for a few shots. I would try it with an old arrow first just in case you get a pass through.
Depending on the bow you're shooting and the distance and the thickness this may/may not work but get ready for a HUGE mess.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I used to have a block target and it created a real mess and didn't last long. Now, I just using a pile of sand. Sometimes I have to dig to find my arrow, but it works. I just dedicate one arrow for broadheads and thoroughly clean it after each use. Going back to a previous post, maybe several paper bags of sand inside of a cardboard box would do the trick for occasional shots. Cheap and easy arrow removal. Obviously, you can't hunt with that broadhead unless you replace the vanes. I think now, that I'll look for a good sturdy box and fill it with sand. Just plug the holes with duct tape. Might work!
oneiarrowking

Post by oneiarrowking »

When I had my archery shop, which I closed in 2008 to go into full retirement, I had broadhead targets made at a local insulation company in Allentown, PA. I had them made from 1.25 density foam which was dense enough to stop broadheads, hold up well and you could still pull the arrows out reasonably well. I had them made in 48 x 48 x 31 inches and 24 x 24 x31 inches. They could make any size but it was much cheaper if I kept one dimension to 31inches because that was the thickness dimension of their raw material. I sold the large ones for $66 and the small ones for $34. I had about a 45% mark up on them so I was getting them pretty cheap. So, if you live close to an insulation factory and you can get some people together who would be interested you might be able to make a reasonable deal. They held up as well or better than the commercial targets and even the small ones had a much bigger shooting area than the commercial targets. I have a big one in my yard that I've been shooting at for five years now and it's not worn out yet.
The older I get, the better I used to be.
swalsh

Post by swalsh »

I use cardboard boxes that I layer. It's a bit of a pain, but inexpensive.
You simply separate the layers and unscrew the broadhead from the bolt.
Replace card board when it wears out. Best of all it's environmentally friendly,
recycle shredded card board.
Sean
I Hunt, I Fish, I Am