Dowels for small game bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MCA

Dowels for small game bolts

Post by MCA »

Hello, has anyone ever used homemade dowels 3/8 or larger to use as cheap bolts for small game, equipped with a brass blunt end, would the weight and spine be safe?, I use a 165 lb exocet.
thanks for the replies, suggestions

MCA
onebigskittle

Re: Dowels for small game bolts

Post by onebigskittle »

I would never use a dowel rod ...Safety first
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

there are plenty of cheap bolts out there.....walmart usually has some for $5 apiece. and you may be able to find some used cheapies on ebay.

Too easy for a piece of wood to bend and break under launch pressure and possibly snap back in your face. In any event the flexing would make it completely inaccurate unless you are in staplegun range....in which case you might as well use a staplegun.

spend the few bucks.....
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I'd spend a couple bucks on cheaper bolts but NEVER dowell. Getting hurt or ruining your bow isn't worth the $30.00 for half a dozen bolts.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I made fish arrows for crossbow out of fibreglass driveway markers. Heavy but that would be ok as it would slow them down also. Get two out of a 48" marker. Would work out to $2. an arrow or less. When you buy them roll them on the floor in the store and get the strait ones.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I used to shoot traditional/primitive archery and even at those speeds you needed to reinforce the nock area in some way. Dont think at crossbow speeds they would be able to handle the force of the string at the shot. Could be VERY bad if they split. Bad on crossbow and bad on the shooter alike. jmho.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Not worth the risk.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Hey Wheelie,

Is that a Crissbow with your fishing setup? I have not seen one without the thumb hole.
NFH

Post by NFH »

wheelie wrote:I made fish arrows for crossbow out of fibreglass driveway markers. Heavy but that would be ok as it would slow them down also. Get two out of a 48" marker. Would work out to $2. an arrow or less. When you buy them roll them on the floor in the store and get the strait ones.
Do you think these would hold up to modern excal speeds? Its an interesting idea but I don't want to be the first to pull the trigger.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor