Daco Hornet crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BOB VANDRISH

Re: Daco Hornet crossbow

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Does anybody out there have a set of limbs for the old Daco Scorpion?
I am looking for the 36" length,and 150 lb version!
I thought the guy(foofoo) had the right one for sale when he listed a 150 lb set of limbs,but they were for the Hornet,as they were only 33".
(he has since amended his posting to reflect that!)
I got the stock from Digger, way back when, and have not been able to find a set of limbs for it.
It would only be used as a wall hanger and a souvenir from those good old days.
I already have the complete Hornet, but it is not in as good a condition as the stock for the Scorpion.
Just "keepers" from those older days!
Bob
Bob Vandrish.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Good luck Bob.

I have being keeping my eyes out for another limb for my Relayer. I currently have a spare limb with a Astro Daco Scorpion (140lb limb) but I would like to get a 150lb limb.

You best get it before me or others that I know are looking as well :lol: :D :x :wink: :wink:
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Tom,I know you and I have conversed about finding a set of limbs for the Scorpion from time to time over the years!
Looks like I will have one of the nicest Scorpion stocks to put up on my wall if nothing else!LOL!!
We need somebody with a bit of creative skills to design a center support that would allow one to be able to retrofit a set of limbs from say a Phoenix,for example,that are close enough to that 36" width,and are 150 lb pull!
I could handle painting them black to suit!!
Wouldn't that be nice?
Maybe I should repost this under the Daco Scorpion heading to get more input?
What do you think?
Bob
Bob Vandrish.
MCA

Post by MCA »

question on the scorpion, did the bow get mounted to a aluminum "shoe" or riser or did it get mounted directly to the wood stock, Mine is mounted to a black aluminum riser or shoe, then mounted to the wood stock.

there is no name on my Daco, assume it is a hornet,

thanks
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

BOB VANDRISH wrote:Tom,I know you and I have conversed about finding a set of limbs for the Scorpion from time to time over the years!
Looks like I will have one of the nicest Scorpion stocks to put up on my wall if nothing else!LOL!!
We need somebody with a bit of creative skills to design a center support that would allow one to be able to retrofit a set of limbs from say a Phoenix,for example,that are close enough to that 36" width,and are 150 lb pull!
I could handle painting them black to suit!!
Wouldn't that be nice?
Maybe I should repost this under the Daco Scorpion heading to get more input?
What do you think?
Bob
Bob, was it you I was talking to about limbs a few years ago?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Answering two points at once-it looks to me as if the limbs fastened directly to the end of the wooden stock on my Scorpion.
Tom would know for sure!
And yes,Pyd,that was me that contacted you a few years ago about this same topic!
Years ago,I had a custom string made to fit that 36" limb,by a bow guy in the US, long before Boo made me a couple!
Bob Vandrish.
dave524

Post by dave524 »

Tom wrote:Good luck Bob.

I have being keeping my eyes out for another limb for my Relayer. I currently have a spare limb with a Astro Daco Scorpion (140lb limb) but I would like to get a 150lb limb.

You best get it before me or others that I know are looking as well :lol: :D :x :wink: :wink:
The 140 lb. scorpion limbs are the correct limb for the original Relayer, when Bill designed the Relayer there was a bit of overdraw compared to the Daco Scorpion and thus the 150 pound draw weight for the Relayer.
Tom

Post by Tom »

dave524 wrote:
Tom wrote:Good luck Bob.

The 140 lb. scorpion limbs are the correct limb for the original Relayer, when Bill designed the Relayer there was a bit of overdraw compared to the Daco Scorpion and thus the 150 pound draw weight for the Relayer.
I have been in or shooting crossbows well before Bill T started Excalibur which is why I know a little about Astro Daco. This bows were the best on the market at the time, but when Excalibur came out, they short of left Astro Daco in the dust mainly due to the trigger or firing system. The Astro Daco system was terrible.

Dave the normal poundage of the Astro Daco Scorpion was 150lb not the 140 you suggested. Our hunting party had 5 Scorpions and all were 150lbs. I forget the name of the man we dealt with from Astro Daco (I think it was Dan with a last name starting with M, that was a long time ago) but he did explain how the limbs were all tested. One in our party dry fired his bow, toasted it on the spot so he needed to get a replacement. My dad wanted a heavier limb so he inquired about a 200lb limb. Therefore we got an education on the limbs and a new 200lb model.

At the time back then, you could get both a 140lb or 150lb scorpion model crossbow.

About how it is mounted, I would have to look it up and check to be sure, but I will.

Tom
Tom
MCA

Post by MCA »

Hi Tom, thanks, question, if the scorpions were 150 lbs , what were the Hornets rated at?

the one I have has a aluminum "shoe" that mounts at the end of the stock, the limbs are mounted to this.

appreciate your knowledge of this bow
Tom

Post by Tom »

MCA wrote:Hi Tom, thanks, question, if the scorpions were 150 lbs , what were the Hornets rated at?

the one I have has a aluminum "shoe" that mounts at the end of the stock, the limbs are mounted to this.

appreciate your knowledge of this bow
I believe that most of the Hornets were 125lb models. But even in saying that, Astro Daco were not going to waste limbs that tested higher or lower then that :lol: .

I would not doubt that there were different versions of the Hornet out there just like there were with the Scorpions.
Tom
dave524

Post by dave524 »

Tom wrote: I have been in or shooting crossbows well before Bill T started Excalibur which is why I know a little about Astro Daco. This bows were the best on the market at the time, but when Excalibur came out, they short of left Astro Daco in the dust mainly due to the trigger or firing system. The Astro Daco system was terrible.

Dave the normal poundage of the Astro Daco Scorpion was 150lb not the 140 you suggested. Our hunting party had 5 Scorpions and all were 150lbs. I forget the name of the man we dealt with from Astro Daco (I think it was Dan with a last name starting with M, that was a long time ago) but he did explain how the limbs were all tested. One in our party dry fired his bow, toasted it on the spot so he needed to get a replacement. My dad wanted a heavier limb so he inquired about a 200lb limb. Therefore we got an education on the limbs and a new 200lb model.

At the time back then, you could get both a 140lb or 150lb scorpion model crossbow.

About how it is mounted, I would have to look it up and check to be sure, but I will.

Tom
Tom, You would be part of a crew that hunted near Dunnville late 70's?? They met at the firehall and all had Scorpions. I got one of the first Relayers, walnut stock, Williams peep sights, from Bill and Kath back when it was a one man operation out of the barn. Visited there a few times and remember Bill saying the Relayer put a bit overdraw on what the Scorpion limbs were designed for. So I thought the 140 plus overdraw would account for the 150 rating on the Relayer , maybe they werre a tad over 150 .
Tom

Post by Tom »

dave524 wrote:
Tom, You would be part of a crew that hunted near Dunnville late 70's?? They met at the firehall and all had Scorpions. I got one of the first Relayers, walnut stock, Williams peep sights, from Bill and Kath back when it was a one man operation out of the barn. Visited there a few times and remember Bill saying the Relayer put a bit overdraw on what the Scorpion limbs were designed for. So I thought the 140 plus overdraw would account for the 150 rating on the Relayer , maybe they werre a tad over 150 .
Dave no I was not from that area. I archery hunted mostly in the Hespler area ( a friends) or in the Durham Region. As was stated before, back then, Astro Daco were the bow to beat so many hunters had then as they were considered the best at the time. I too had got my Relayer from Bill and Kath from the farm. When I picked it up, Kath showed me how accurate these bows were and I did learn no to shoot against her :lol: :lol: .

Now about how the stock is mounted on my Scorpion. Here are a few pics to show the stock, end foot stirrup and limb.

As you can see it is basically the same as the original Relayer from Excalibur. It just has a bolt through the limb into the stock. The picture does not show it too well, but there is 2 leather patches, one for both sides of the limb (between stock/limb, & limb/stirrup).

I can not remember exactly about the Hornets but a shim or spacer of some kind does sound familiar with some of the Astro Daco bows.

Hope this helps some.

Tom
Tom
MCA

Post by MCA »

thanks for posting the pics :)