Diablo Specs and FOC

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Significent

Diablo Specs and FOC

Post by Significent »

I'm new to the forum and I just purchased a Matrix 380 in camo (should arrive tomorrow). Searching through the Excalibur website and forum, I couldn't find details about diablo bolts. I could find bits and pieces of info scattered throughout the forum and was able to do a little calculating to come up with specs that should be pretty close. Can anyone confirm them?

252 gr complete arrow weight (from forum members)
38 gr front insert weight (from forum members)
18 gr 2 inch Blazer vane weight (3 @ 6gr ea.)
18 in specified shaft length
10.5 gr shaft - grains per inch (Easton C2 per forum members)
189 gr calculated raw shaft weight (18" x 10.5 gr/inch)
7 gr calculated flatback insert (total weight minus all else - seems light)

Also, has anyone measured FOC with the 100gr X-Act broadheads? What little I've seen suggests that it flies well, but I'm curious if FOC is within the accepted range. Using the assumed specs above, calculated FOC should be just a smidge over 16 which should be OK.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Shotgun
18" Black Eagle Executioners
Swhacker Crossbow 100gr (see avatar)
GTFG Lumenoks
amythntr

Re: Diablo Specs and FOC

Post by amythntr »

Significent wrote:I'm new to the forum and I just purchased a Matrix 380 in camo (should arrive tomorrow). Searching through the Excalibur website and forum, I couldn't find details about diablo bolts. I could find bits and pieces of info scattered throughout the forum and was able to do a little calculating to come up with specs that should be pretty close. Can anyone confirm them?

Also, has anyone measured FOC with the 100gr X-Act broadheads? What little I've seen suggests that it flies well, but I'm curious if FOC is within the accepted range. Using the assumed specs above, calculated FOC should be just a smidge over 16 which should be OK.

I asked the same question of Dawn at Excalibur when I bought my M380 after reading as much as I could on FOC....I was told that they did not have any of that information.... I was kind of confused with the 18" Diablos and the differing BH weight between the Boltcutters and the ExAct's and the effect on FOC....I am kind of surprised that no one has responded to your question.

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

[email protected] wrote:
Significent wrote:I'm new to the forum and I just purchased a Matrix 380 in camo (should arrive tomorrow). Searching through the Excalibur website and forum, I couldn't find details about diablo bolts. I could find bits and pieces of info scattered throughout the forum and was able to do a little calculating to come up with specs that should be pretty close. Can anyone confirm them?

I suggest you just bite the bullet and get some BEE's. Dan Miller can help me.

I asked the same question of Dawn at Excalibur when I bought my M380 after reading as much as I could on FOC....I was told that they did not have any of that information.... I was kind of confused with the 18" Diablos and the differing BH weight between the Boltcutters and the ExAct's and the effect on FOC....I am kind of surprised that no one has responded to your question.

Anthony
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Significent

Post by Significent »

My new Matrix 380 arrived today. It's all set up and ready to shoot. All I need is some time to get to the range. Actually, last weekend, I ordered the bow from Danny Miller and did purchase a dozen Black Eagle Executioners (BEE) in place of Diablo bolts. I was questioning the FOC on the Diablos because one of my hunting buddies also just got the 380, but with the Diablo bolts. We hunt in an area where at least 1 & 1/8th" broadheads are required so the 150gr BoltCutters are disallowed. I've purchased a bunch of 100gr Swhacker Crossbow broadheads and was hoping my buddy could use them too. Given Danny's input, I'm confident the BEEs will function perfectly with the Swhackers. I'm hoping to hear someone has had good success with unmodified Diablo bolts and 100 gr broadheads.

Any input would be appreciated.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
GTFG Lumenoks
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Significent wrote:My new Matrix 380 arrived today. It's all set up and ready to shoot. All I need is some time to get to the range. Actually, last weekend, I ordered the bow from Danny Miller and did purchase a dozen Black Eagle Executioners (BEE) in place of Diablo bolts. I was questioning the FOC on the Diablos because one of my hunting buddies also just got the 380, but with the Diablo bolts. We hunt in an area where at least 1 & 1/8th" broadheads are required so the 150gr BoltCutters are disallowed. I've purchased a bunch of 100gr Swhacker Crossbow broadheads and was hoping my buddy could use them too. Given Danny's input, I'm confident the BEEs will function perfectly with the Swhackers. I'm hoping to hear someone has had good success with unmodified Diablo bolts and 100 gr broadheads.

So those are the 20" inch bolts and 3" vanes?
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Significent

Post by Significent »

[email protected] wrote: So those are the 20" inch bolts and 3" vanes?
No, the BEEs are 18 inches with 2in Blazers. I weighed one, including the 100gr field tip, on my reloading scale to find it's a little heavier than I expected, but a good weight none-the-less: 398gr.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
GTFG Lumenoks
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Significent wrote:
No, the BEEs are 18 inches with 2in Blazers. I weighed one, including the 100gr field tip, on my reloading scale to find it's a little heavier than I expected, but a good weight none-the-less: 398gr.
Where did you purchase yours Significant?

Anthony

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Significent

Post by Significent »

[email protected] wrote:
Significent wrote:
Where did you purchase yours Significant?

Anthony
I bought the 18" BEE bolts, the Matrix 380, an upgrade to a Leupold 2x7 33mm Shotgun scope (with the Turkey Reticle), a stringer and an extra string all from Danny Miller of Horizontal Archery LLC.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
GTFG Lumenoks
Tizzy0420

Post by Tizzy0420 »

Well you were right to assume that the nock weight was low I have an excalibur matrix 380 Xtra myself and recently damaged one of my Diablo bolts (I also use BEE's however this year have found them impossible to find) but I pulled the nock out and weighed it on very accurate scales at 18.2 gr. I to am attempting to calculate the FOC of my diablos vs my BEE's and was hoping the weights you were given were accurate but after the very large difference in actual nock weight compared to the actual weight I feel it best to just continue to disassemble my bolt and get 100% accurate weights for calculating my FOC. I also used to buy my BEE bolts at my local archery shop where I purchased my entire set up however he is not carrying them this year or the gold tips I used to use. But I had issues with the inserts coming out due to the fact im sure that you can't buy them in 18 in lengths therefore we had to remove the brass inserts, cut them to length and reinstall the inserts afterwards which I was not a fan of because you had to heat the carbon bolts ally to be able to remove the inserts presumably affecting the strength of the bolt. When I'm finished weighing all the different parts of my bolt I will post them on this thread if anyone else is interested.
Tizzy0420

Post by Tizzy0420 »

I will say though that my plastic flat back nocks did weigh right around 7 grains but that is not what comes in the Diablo bolts.
davesonic444

Post by davesonic444 »

Tizzy0420 wrote:Well you were right to assume that the nock weight was low I have an excalibur matrix 380 Xtra myself and recently damaged one of my Diablo bolts (I also use BEE's however this year have found them impossible to find) but I pulled the nock out and weighed it on very accurate scales at 18.2 gr. I to am attempting to calculate the FOC of my diablos vs my BEE's and was hoping the weights you were given were accurate but after the very large difference in actual nock weight compared to the actual weight I feel it best to just continue to disassemble my bolt and get 100% accurate weights for calculating my FOC. I also used to buy my BEE bolts at my local archery shop where I purchased my entire set up however he is not carrying them this year or the gold tips I used to use. But I had issues with the inserts coming out due to the fact im sure that you can't buy them in 18 in lengths therefore we had to remove the brass inserts, cut them to length and reinstall the inserts afterwards which I was not a fan of because you had to heat the carbon bolts ally to be able to remove the inserts presumably affecting the strength of the bolt. When I'm finished weighing all the different parts of my bolt I will post them on this thread if anyone else is interested.
Why not cut them to length before you remove the inserts? I assume you are cutting at least 2 inches off to achieve your length.
Dave
mingle

Post by mingle »

Significent wrote:My new Matrix 380 arrived today. It's all set up and ready to shoot. All I need is some time to get to the range. Actually, last weekend, I ordered the bow from Danny Miller and did purchase a dozen Black Eagle Executioners (BEE) in place of Diablo bolts. I was questioning the FOC on the Diablos because one of my hunting buddies also just got the 380, but with the Diablo bolts. We hunt in an area where at least 1 & 1/8th" broadheads are required so the 150gr BoltCutters are disallowed. I've purchased a bunch of 100gr Swhacker Crossbow broadheads and was hoping my buddy could use them too. Given Danny's input, I'm confident the BEEs will function perfectly with the Swhackers. I'm hoping to hear someone has had good success with unmodified Diablo bolts and 100 gr broadheads.
I shot 100 grain spitfires mounted on the 18in diablo's out of my 330 they shot well.I ordered bee from southshore archery .They were cheaper than the diablos,plus you could have any weight brass insert installed. fyi
chuckinator

Post by chuckinator »

any idea What is the ID of the Diablo bolts?
"Adapt, Overcome and Prevail"