Why would I

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

The Chief

Why would I

Post by The Chief »

buy a 380 instead of a 355 is it just the speed? It seems like everything else is pretty much the same. I am scratching my head bald trying to make up my mind a little persuasion would be a big help.
Matrix380NC

Re: Why would I

Post by Matrix380NC »

I decided on the matrix 380 since I found a great home for the exomax that I had since 2011. My local dealer had both the 380 and the 355 but I just happened to grab the 380 first and of course I then had to bring one home. I was used to the s5's from the exomax and the full hydro dipped camo really made it standout. It was more of a preference than the speed factor and after sighting it in I really do enjoy it. Of course the NC mtn deer did not cooperate this year one bit so now it's time to see how it likes coyotes. The only real difference I noticed was that the 355 was one inch shorter but the 380 just seemed to fit better when shouldering it.
lovelight

Post by lovelight »

The 380 could be preferred by shooters who want to shoot an extra heavy arrow while keeping up arrow speed and flatter trajectory. Some would make the case that it makes more financial sense if you plan on getting the REDS, cheek piece, and ADF. However, a little shopping around and the right phone calls will put you slightly ahead with the 355 with after market REDS equivalent and a good price on the other options.

I ended up with the 355 and couldn't be happier. The thing throws 18" Black Eagle Executioners with 125gr tips with authority. It is more than enough for the deer that I'll be hunting. I'm only going to be shooting 40 yards or so at small blacktail. I'm certain the 330 would be enough speed-wise but only the 380 and 355 were available at the time.

Shoot both and throw in the 330 if you get a chance at it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. If you are taller, the bigger bows may be better suited for your frame. My 12 year old son (5'6"), 5'2" wife, and me (6'0") all shoot the 355 comfortably but it is definitely compact. You may prefer something slightly bigger.
massbow

Post by massbow »

Join team 355!
Team 355
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

If the REDS, cheek piece, Guardian ADF, and speed to burn interest you, get a 380.

If you want something more compact, lightweight, and are not thrilled about cocking the Matrix 380, get a 355. I am really intrigued about the 330, personally. My next bow will be a mini matrix.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I bought the 355 and am 100% satisfied!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline

Post by newbie »

try them both if you can. Deoends if you want a bow to plink with or just hunt. I wouldnt want an extended target session with the 380. The 355 felt better balanced to me when shouldered. I got to play with a cut down 355 last summer and that will be my next bow purely a joy to cock and shoot that all day.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Why would'nt you should be the question? One can never be over gunned, only exception to that rule is physical ability. If you can't cock it no point in carrying it.

It shoots flater and with more authority. If you ever place a low percentage shot (it happens to all of us sooner or later) it gives you the odds to getr done.

Example this year I had a big bull moose come right up to my tree stand. He stopped 8 yrds out in front and stood there for 5 mins. Although he could not see my canoe in the grass 15ft from him I'm sure he smelled it. Wind was in my face but he knew something was up. He was standing in opening but if he bolted either way I'd lose my chance on him. Knowing full well the power of the 380 I elected to shoot him down through neck. A shot I would never have attempted with my 75lb longbow or a lesser crossbow. The arrow penertrated down through neck and stopped inside heart - made a 30 yrd dash and piled up!

A guide on a hunt once said to me "I can shoot elk all day long with a .243 but I live here and will pick my shots - you are here for 1 week and the only shot you may get is at the south end of a big bull headed north - that's why I was carrying a .375 H&H and he fully agreed.

This is why you buy the 380 over the 355, in my opinion of course. :wink:
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hunt it wrote:Why would'nt you should be the question? One can never be over gunned, only exception to that rule is physical ability. If you can't cock it no point in carrying it.
:
Yes you can be OVER GUNNED when it comes to archery. First thing is if you plan to do a lot of practicing or just plinking as some will say, the heavier bows will just become work to shoot after a while and therefore will not be fun anymore. Also with the heavier poundage bows, you need to worry more about the pass through of the arrow. The arrow will travel a greater distance when shot from the ground.

Hunt it wrote:......................
Example this year I had a big bull moose come right up to my tree stand. He stopped 8 yrds out in front and stood there for 5 mins. Although he could not see my canoe in the grass 15ft from him I'm sure he smelled it. Wind was in my face but he knew something was up. He was standing in opening but if he bolted either way I'd lose my chance on him. Knowing full well the power of the 380 I elected to shoot him down through neck. A shot I would never have attempted with my 75lb longbow or a lesser crossbow. The arrow penertrated down through neck and stopped inside heart - made a 30 yrd dash and piled up!

A guide on a hunt once said to me "I can shoot elk all day long with a .243 but I live here and will pick my shots - you are here for 1 week and the only shot you may get is at the south end of a big bull headed north - that's why I was carrying a .375 H&H and he fully agreed.

This is why you buy the 380 over the 355, in my opinion of course. :wink:
My dream is to get a moose with my Original Relayer which is 150lb. I have passed up on a moose standing face on at less then 20 yards just because I was unsure of the arrow penetration on a full frontal. Since then I have talked to more then a few which have taken that shot and had quick kills. I will no longer pass up that shot, just make sure I hit just off center (not in the breast bone area, want ribs) and my arrow with that bow will get me almost full penetration. 16 to 17" is more then enough to get into the lungs.

As to what bow to get, either will do the job hunting, just need to decide what is best for what you want the bow to do for you.

Good luck Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Tom,

I made it clear I think that you can be overgunned if physically you can't cock bow. Yes your correct if you cannot shoot it enough to equal good practice then yes the Physical issue is clear and you need a lighter bow.

Now onto the moose, the difference between finding a moose and loosing a moose is very simple in several cases, even more so if hunting from a treestand.
If you one lung a moose and have no exit hole - passthrough you have no exit for blood to escape except up high where arrow hits if shot from above. It then takes alot of running force to blow out blood or the cavity needs to fill up to point of entrance hole before you'll get much blood to trail.

So, in case of moose I'll instruct guys to shoot as heavy as they can go to get that pass through. As you can see with my hunt story even with 380 it is not a guarantee on pass through (my shot of course one that many would not take). As stated, I knew what the bow was capable of and staying to one side of neck and had perfect line on vitals I knew I could take shot with good sucess or I would not have tried it.

If buying a bow I'd always say shoot as heavy a one as you can handle. Now if your a southern states whitetail biggest target hunter it may not be an issue. Any excal will penetrate a 100-150lb deer.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hunt it I understood your post. My post was not referring to normal practice, I was talking about a lot of shooting. I have seen many people and many members on here that bought a high poundage bow to only sell it and go for a lower poundage bow just because after a while shooting it in the yard it just became too much work to cock it. Some people like to shoot their bows everyday or as much as possible. If that is the case, then physical abilities is not much of a factor, but more of the amount of energy needed to cock a bow of that size, that many times. After a while it becomes work, not fun.

But to each their own, each person needs to figure out what will suit their needs best, I was just trying to show or give a different view.

As for the moose, I understand your views. Most moose shot with archery equipment do not move or run like a deer after being shot. They just wonder around. Now if the archer makes a lot of movement or sounds after the shot, the moose will probably leave in a hurry.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Your right Tom ther are some die hard enthusiasts that do shoot everyday. In that regard alone I would advise something lighter with you. The big bows I don't think are even meant for someone shooting with that frequency. You'd go broke buying Reds and strings if you shot 380 or 405 all year.

Moose are exception to rule as you know. We've arrowed 19 bulls in 13 yrs in same spot and lost 2. Both those lost had entrance hole only and moose just kept going with no blood trail period. I'm not saying exit hole would have done trick but it sure would not have hurt, that I know. As with all critters you will get a few that go outside the norm. I trailed a one lunged deer in snow for 4kms and he never stopped going whole day. we gave him 5hrs from shot as he was seen running off across a 400yrd field so we could tell he had some pi$$ and vinager in him. Blood trail on that deer was amazing for first 100yrds, one would have sworn 5 deer died in that 100yrds. But that's hunting.
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Well if that's The Chief in his avatar...sure look capable of the 380! :D
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

OK I'm going with the 380 then I only hunt deer but you never know moving to Ga this summer might try to get some pork chops. I will give Dan Miller a call on Fri and see what he recommends for a scope. Thanks guys. Yep that's me in my avatar
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

The Chief wrote:OK I'm going with the 380 then I only hunt deer but you never know moving to Ga this summer might try to get some pork chops. I will give Dan Miller a call on Fri and see what he recommends for a scope. Thanks guys. Yep that's me in my avatar
Good choice you are gonna slaughter some hogs with it for sure :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things