Small Game with Matrix 380?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Re: Small Game with Matrix 380?

Post by wheelie »

strum wrote:this is a classic case of over gunning the game.
you wouldnt be shooting a squirrel with your 30.06 or 7mm mag..
no dis respect meant here but these are some of the problems from using the biggest, fastest, baddest weapon. not saying you cant kill the small game but you may as well be ready to give up some arrows :lol: :lol:
I agree. :wink:
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Took this grouse while deer hunting. Unfortunately I only had slick tricks but didn't do the head any damage.

The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I took a Grouse this year with a fixed broadhead at 20ydrs, the bolt went through so clean my buddy thought I missed until the bird flew up and crashed within 20 feet. We used a metal detector to locate the bolt that was buried 15 ydrs past the contact point. I would have to agree, the 380 maybe overkill for small game even with blunts.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Dash

Post by Dash »

I've used dozens of different blunts but settled on Varmit busters (VB's) . They're made from thick spring steel, not expensive, and screw under a small field point, so is adjustable weight. I don't understand why people lose arrows so much on small game. As long as you shoot within your capabilities, I find hunting small game very cheap on arrows. It's very hard to damage a VB blunt, and I always get my arrows back when using blunts. The equinox worked great on small game, but haven't used my 380 yet. I imagine it'll almost push a blunt through them :lol:
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Sorta like killin a fly with a sledge hammer :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Cherokeeson

Post by Cherokeeson »

Easton® V3™ Expandable Varmint Point Is a interesting one...
Equinox (Exodus) - Vari-Zone - Big John Custom Arrows
Swhackers, Mangus Stingers
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
—Albert Einstein
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Ok folks got a update on that arrow I lost shooting at a red squirrel about a month ago. Found it yesterday! It was snapped in half and both pieces laying by the bottom of tree squirrel was in . So I guess the 380 is a little much to shoot at a s solid dead stop with a blunt I've shot these Saunders blunts at many dead stops before with the old Nox I had before the matrix and never had a problem with arrows so maybe the extra 40 or 50 fps makes a difference . Any way u look at it the Saunders blunts are hard to beat in my opinion !
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Dash

Post by Dash »

I used 125 nd 145gr saunders blunts on the equinox for a while, only busted a couple. But I gave a few I had left to a mate with a Barnett shooting about 375fps. He tore the plastic heads off the spline thread 2 out of 2 shots while shooting at a hard foam target bag. Plastic does have its limitations, so I'd lean towards one of the steel blunts for the 380 if you don't want it to get expensive.
mike w

Post by mike w »

[quote="wheelie"]I shoot my deer arrows (GT2 with Rage2 broadheads) at coyotes and anything pretty much I shoot. They deserve a clean kill as well.

Agreed. When I finally get my game all tuned in, we have a good Fox population back here that would not e harmed by loosing one. It's life is worth the bolt and broad head, it also looks at the stars once in a while I bet.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

I've taken quite a few squirrels, grouse, and rabbits with my exomax over the years using a few different heads.

Zwickey judo points are no good as they tend to pass through most small animals anyways with enough force to bury the head into trees at 30-40 yards.

Field points with Zwickey scorpio grapplers aren't any good either as there is too much force which results in the scorpio sliding too far back which damages vanes.

Field points with a washer installed between the head and insert work well and do not penetrate.

I haven't used the G5 small game head, but I've seen a few pics on the net of guys shooting them with vertical bows with the arrows passing through rabbits and squirrels. I can't help but think they'd do the same with a fast crossbow.

The best thing by far for a fast bow is the plain old rubber blunt. Even at 10 yards it will not penetrate a rabbit or grouse and simply bounces off trees when you miss. They're also the most durable option and I've been using the same ones for a few years, even though they've smoked quite a few trees and they're what I use to uncock the bow after every outing by shooting them into the ground.
Dash

Post by Dash »

mike w wrote:
wheelie wrote:I shoot my deer arrows (GT2 with Rage2 broadheads) at coyotes and anything pretty much I shoot. They deserve a clean kill as well.

Agreed. When I finally get my game all tuned in, we have a good Fox population back here that would not e harmed by loosing one. It's life is worth the bolt and broad head, it also looks at the stars once in a while I bet.
With all respect mate, that's a strange thing to say. An accurate blunt shots kills small game instantly on impact, broadheads rarely do as they kill by blood loss. Blunts give a far quicker cleaner kill on small game like rabbits and foxes.
mike w

Post by mike w »

Dash wrote: With all respect mate, that's a strange thing to say. An accurate blunt shots kills small game instantly on impact, broadheads rarely do as they kill by blood loss. Blunts give a far quicker cleaner kill on small game like rabbits and foxes.
You may be right. I have used them for Squirrels with my vertical bow. Brand spankin new to crossbows. I just got a matrix 380 and while I'm working out some kinks, I have come to appreciate the wicked force she'll deliver. I once had a bludgeon head (blunt head) go through a squirrel and it was like blasting it with a shot gun. Took a lot of the meat away. While with squirrels no worries cause it take a few anyhow to get a meal, I was kind of worried about it passing through with a blunt head (most shots where I hunt is only 20 yards cause it's think as heck back there) and ripping the skin and destroying more meat. Maybe just over thinking it...
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

If the G5 don't work for you check out the VPA broadheads they have a turkey broadhead that looks pretty awesome it would do a number on small game. I plan on purchasing some soon and trying them out.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Dash

Post by Dash »

mike w wrote: You may be right. I have used them for Squirrels with my vertical bow. Brand spankin new to crossbows. I just got a matrix 380 and while I'm working out some kinks, I have come to appreciate the wicked force she'll deliver. I once had a bludgeon head (blunt head) go through a squirrel and it was like blasting it with a shot gun. Took a lot of the meat away. While with squirrels no worries cause it take a few anyhow to get a meal, I was kind of worried about it passing through with a blunt head (most shots where I hunt is only 20 yards cause it's think as heck back there) and ripping the skin and destroying more meat. Maybe just over thinking it...
[/quote]
Yeah a pass through is a possibility with the 380, even the equinox can almost pass through small game using the narrower style blunts. But, the more surface area on the blunt the less chance of follow through. I see what you mean about more meat damage on very small game, but using a 380 on small game with a broadheads would get extremely expensive. Which ever way you go about it, get back to this post and let us know how it goes. Due to recent work commitments, I don't think I'll get a chance to test my 380 on small game soon. But when I do I'll put a post in with the results.
mike w

Post by mike w »

Yeah a pass through is a possibility with the 380, even the equinox can almost pass through small game using the narrower style blunts. But, the more surface area on the blunt the less chance of follow through. I see what you mean about more meat damage on very small game, but using a 380 on small game with a broadheads would get extremely expensive. Which ever way you go about it, get back to this post and let us know how it goes. Due to recent work commitments, I don't think I'll get a chance to test my 380 on small game soon. But when I do I'll put a post in with the results.[/quote

I hear you, that is one pricey Squirrel / Rabbit! I'm gonna go Squirrel plunking this weekend, but my .22 air rifle is much more economical choice for this go round! Good luck with work and the off season prep!