Sling or carry to deer stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dalton

Sling or carry to deer stand

Post by dalton »

Just wondering how many of you use a sling, pack or just carry your crossbow to your deer stand?
Fullquiver

Re: Sling or carry to deer stand

Post by Fullquiver »

Just carry it most of the time as either I have a climber on my back or a pack.
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Sling (the Excalibur one) for me and remove it in seconds when I get on stand.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I use a modified sling which I read about on another forum. It requires drilling a small hole in the middle of the stock. Instead of swivels, I use the same rope as is used on a Crankaroo to attach the sling. This is noiseless. You then carry the crossbow upside down. Even with a pack, this works great. The limbs are pointing straight ahead and straight back. They're not out there catching on brush. This position also protects the arrows as they are behind the bow. I don't post pictures, or I'd post one. It really works great- no more problem than a convential bow or rifle would be. I have the sling long, so I can put it up over my head, but works great either way.

P.S. That small hole is just above the sling mount on the stock.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

sling for me. But I can set up my climbers the night before, or will use ladder stands or blinds that are already set up......
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Sling also, easier to carry and if I see a deer before getting to my stand I prefer to use my sling locked into my elbow to steady the shot when shooting freehand just like I do with my rifles.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I like the Claw crossbow sling myself. It has a little hook u can attach to ur clothes when u get it up on ur shoulder that keeps it where u put it. If packing a climber u usually have to carry ur bow anyway though
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Bullzeye wrote:Sling also, easier to carry and if I see a deer before getting to my stand I prefer to use my sling locked into my elbow to steady the shot when shooting freehand just like I do with my rifles.
x2
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

Sling for me.
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I sling mine just like a rifle. One suggestion, use a top mount quiver so you don't tear the fletchings off your arrows. They will rub against your jacket if you use the standard Excalibur quiver. I learned the hard way. :lol: :lol: I usually take my sling off after i get in the stand.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I've got a sling on mine but rarely use it, same way with my rifles. Too many times I've jumped deer when walking in or out and couldn't get my bow or gun unslung (is that a word?) in time to get off a shot, so now I just carry them so I'm ready if an unexpected shot comes up.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

I used to have a sling on mine, then found out that I didn't use it. I either have my climbing tree stand or blind on my back, most time it's the stand. The bow hits and rubs against the stand, so I usually just carry it........RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

I just carry mine.I'd like to use a sling.But.....with all the brush and trees I have to go through to get to my stands I'd tear my crossbow apart getting there. :shock: Y'all must walk open fields to get to your stand. :mrgreen:
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Jim M wrote:I use a modified sling which I read about on another forum. It requires drilling a small hole in the middle of the stock. Instead of swivels, I use the same rope as is used on a Crankaroo to attach the sling. This is noiseless. You then carry the crossbow upside down. Even with a pack, this works great. The limbs are pointing straight ahead and straight back. They're not out there catching on brush. This position also protects the arrows as they are behind the bow. I don't post pictures, or I'd post one. It really works great- no more problem than a convential bow or rifle would be. I have the sling long, so I can put it up over my head, but works great either way.

P.S. That small hole is just above the sling mount on the stock.

I would like a little more understanding of this. I think I got it, and sounds like a better way to carry the bow......RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

UPSMAN wrote:. One suggestion, use a top mount quiver so you don't tear the fletchings off your arrows. They will rub against your jacket if you use the standard Excalibur quiver. I learned the hard way. :lol: :lol: I usually take my sling off after i get in the stand.
X2 After my first hunting season I bought a top mount because of this, it drove me nuts.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone