Sling or carry to deer stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bullzeye

Re: Sling or carry to deer stand

Post by Bullzeye »

UPSMAN wrote:. One suggestion, use a top mount quiver so you don't tear the fletchings off your arrows. They will rub against your jacket if you use the standard Excalibur quiver. I learned the hard way. :lol: :lol: I usually take my sling off after i get in the stand.
X2 After my first hunting season I bought a top mount because of this, it drove me nuts.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I use my sling in the dark walking in the whole way! If its a afternoon hunt part way then carry just incase i spot something!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I carry mine, haven't really found it to be a big deal. To be truthful, the places where I hunt down here in central Arkansas have so much greenbrier and such that I need to pick the bow up and over it at least once every 10-20 yards, sometimes a lot more. Don't want the thorns catching on my string or vines and sticks accidentally getting jammed up in the trigger area. :wink:
Cherokeeson

Post by Cherokeeson »

Jim M wrote:I use a modified sling which I read about on another forum. It requires drilling a small hole in the middle of the stock. Instead of swivels, I use the same rope as is used on a Crankaroo to attach the sling. This is noiseless. You then carry the crossbow upside down. Even with a pack, this works great. The limbs are pointing straight ahead and straight back. They're not out there catching on brush. This position also protects the arrows as they are behind the bow. I don't post pictures, or I'd post one. It really works great- no more problem than a convential bow or rifle would be. I have the sling long, so I can put it up over my head, but works great either way.

P.S. That small hole is just above the sling mount on the stock.
I'd like to see or read more on this design.
Equinox (Exodus) - Vari-Zone - Big John Custom Arrows
Swhackers, Mangus Stingers
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
—Albert Einstein
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Although I have sling attached very seldom does it get used.
If I am going into my stand before first light it is still in it's case carried like a backpack. If I am planning to leave my stand and know it will be dark before I reach my vehicle I pack it out in its case.

While walking into my stand during legal shooting / hunting hours my crossbow is at the ready . I slow stalk all the way to my stand.
There was a time when during my rookie years that I would go directly to stand without taking my time. (Bull in a China Shop approach) . (Get there get it done)
Which resulted in once too often jumping / spooking the deer in the area leading to an uneventful day in the stand.
So I have now learned that a slow stalk in and out results in more quality shootiing opportunities and sightings during the day.
Bonus: has also resulted in a few tags being successfully filled during the slow stalk in and out.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

X2 The Claw. Use mine when walking from ATV some 200 yrds to stand. Rubber coated webbing sticks tight to shoulder. So inconspicuous that I leave it on even in the stand.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Jc1

Post by Jc1 »

I have never used a sling before on a crossbow or rifle, but I am considering one on my Excalibur. On previous crossbows(pse foxfire and Horton Yukon), I'm use to the non-solid stock. When it's cold, i'm used to putting an arm through the stock. I noticed last weekend when I took mine out, I'm kept wanting to put an arm through it, so I think I might try a sling so I can put my arm through it because I'm afraid I'm going to drop it out of the stand.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Sling if I have to walk a bit, if it's just a short walk then I carry it over my shoulder.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Sling for me but because I always carry the bow on the same shoulder. I wear down one side of the string prematurely as it rubs on my back...FYI.

F
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

VixChix wrote:Sling if I have to walk a bit, if it's just a short walk then I carry it over my shoulder.
I love the quote! That pretty much describes me!!!! 8)
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Older photo, took a lanyard rope and tied quarter size loops to the sling studs and melted the ends. Used the shoulder carrying strap from my Excal. padded case with the plastic clips. Just clipped to the loops easy on and off works good. Quiet no metal to metal. So I sling most of the time.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:Image

Older photo, took a lanyard rope and tied quarter size loops to the sling studs and melted the ends. Used the shoulder carrying strap from my Excal. padded case with the plastic clips. Just clipped to the loops easy on and off works good. Quiet no metal to metal. So I sling most of the time.
Good Idea and cost effective :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

On my back pack when hunting out west , sling when hunting the northwoods.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
ch312

Post by ch312 »

All I have to say about this is you can't shoot a deer if the bow or gun is hanging from your shoulder.

I've missed out on a few deer, yotes, rabbits, grouse, etc when the animals showed up in unexpected places and times when I was on my way to where I thought the animals would be.