Tree stands or Ground a Blinds...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dalton

Tree stands or Ground a Blinds...

Post by dalton »

Will be new to the crossbow since Wisconsin has passed legislation to open the crossbow for everyone. Definitely planning on buying an Excalibur. I've hunted 90% of the time from tree stands and wondered how many of you seasoned crossbow hunters have gone to ground blinds or still hunt from tree stands? Also, do you use the shooting rail on ladder stands or shoot free hand?
Normous

Re: Tree stands or Ground a Blinds...

Post by Normous »

About 50/50 ground/treestand for me using my Excalibur since 1991.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I use both and have had success with both. Ground blinds tend to be more workable for me in our early season (october) since there are still too many leaves on the trees. I did miss a turkey, though, out of my ground blind because I did not have the zipper opened enough and I unintentionally shot my mechanical broadhead right through the blind material.....

doh!

It was turkey and deer season, so I was using the ground blind with the intention of taking advantage of whatever opportunity that I got.....
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Due to fact cross bow allows for very minimal movement i've had great sucess sitting on ground in Gillie suit. Shure saves all the stand work and allows you to really play the wind. Love the pop up blinds for miserable weather for sure, but rest of time I like flexibility to move about.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Hunt it wrote:Due to fact cross bow allows for very minimal movement i've had great sucess sitting on ground in Gillie suit. Shure saves all the stand work and allows you to really play the wind. Love the pop up blinds for miserable weather for sure, but rest of time I like flexibility to move about.
yeah, but then you can't check your e-mail when you get bored..... :lol:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Hunt it wrote:Due to fact cross bow allows for very minimal movement i've had great sucess sitting on ground in Gillie suit. Shure saves all the stand work and allows you to really play the wind. Love the pop up blinds for miserable weather for sure, but rest of time I like flexibility to move about.
X2
IMO this is a great way to go. Maximum flexibility and especially in the early season when lots of leafy things are still in the woods, you can really blend in. For me nothing beats 3D camo.
Been hunting with crossbows since ~1996 and every deer killed (more than 25)was from the ground in my Leafy Wear at 33yds or less. Most between 15 and 20. My son too.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Another thought...........the "Ghost Blind" - runner looks very intriguing to me. Especially for late season.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Both. Depends on where I'm hunting, and if I have someone with me. Most of my hunting is with a tree stand, and shoot free handed, but try to use what ever I can as a rest, could be an arm rest, my knee, the tree. When in the blind,'I use a monopod. This year I hunted exactly 2 days in my blind,'and shot a deer each time. The first was with the Excal,'and I had my daughter with me, the second,'was because of the location, and was using my mossberg 695......RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
MCA

Post by MCA »

Since my treestands got stolen, (even though they were locked up and on private land) I have hunted ground level for years, its great, the thief kind of did me a favour :D
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

nchunterkw wrote:
X2
IMO this is a great way to go. Maximum flexibility and especially in the early season when lots of leafy things are still in the woods, you can really blend in. For me nothing beats 3D camo.
Been hunting with crossbows since ~1996 and every deer killed (more than 25)was from the ground in my Leafy Wear at 33yds or less. Most between 15 and 20. My son too.
X3 - took 2 8pts and a doe this way this past season
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I hunt on my own land (weekend house in the country), and my family and neighbors don't necessarily have the same enthusiasm for hunting that I do. All's good....but...I just can't imagine the (good-natured) abuse that I would get if any of them saw me crawling around in a Gillie suit. I am not willing to give them that much "ammunition."

That, and the e-mail thing..... :D
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I use them all. Ladder, climber,and ground blind.Most definitely take advantage of the shooting rail on your ladder stand. You might also get a Caldwell Deadshot Fieldpod to use in a ground blind. I use one when I hunt in a ground blind. Especially when I turkey hunt. Makes for a real steady shot.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Hawkeyemd

Post by Hawkeyemd »

Dalton, I use Summit Viper Stands with my Excals. all the time ! I drop my straps down on my seat all the way. That way you can use your rail as a rest. It works great for me ! Try it, and let me know how you like it. Good Shooting, Hawkeyemd
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Same with me and my summit Revolution. My seat straps aren't lowered completely, but I have many great/solid positions to rest my bow.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I do both...at the same time. Built a tree stand and erect a ground blind on it...have a look at my avatar...best of both worlds!