single dot scope?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MC45

single dot scope?

Post by MC45 »

I have a burris fast fire 2 red dot that I have thought about trying on my ibex. Those of you who have done this what are your thoughts. I used to use a single pin set at 25 yards on my vertical bow. Was thinking of trying to zero around 30 yards. The scope that came with my ibex is very precise on the markings and is very clear in the center. For some reason it is fuzzy around the outside of the view. I don't have a problem with it I just like to try different things.
vixenmaster

Re: single dot scope?

Post by vixenmaster »

I have a Halo single red dot on my 165. Its 2 1/2" high at 20 yds on at 30 yds & is 6 1/2" low at 40 yds. Which means all deer from 1-40 yds is in serious trouble if'en i want it! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you like a red-dot scope the single dot will work fine. I'd sight in at 25yards and check POI out to 30. Should be within ±3" from 0-30 yards.
wabi
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I have a red dot on my carved Exocet it works great I ducked tape a spare battery to my stock.
The best things in life are not things!!
michigan man

Post by michigan man »

How do red dot scopes do in first or last light compared to a rifle scope? I'm thinking of more along the lines of a quality red dot like an Aimpoint or a Vortex.
Micro 335, Leupold VX3 1.5X5, 16" BEE"S, Lumenok, 100 grain Swhacker, 100 grain Wac-Em
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I recently put a red dot scope on my Phoenix because it vastly increases vision where I hunt being able to use both eyes. I have it dialled I at 25 yards for POI.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
massbow

Post by massbow »

Allways worried about epic battery failure!
Team 355
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I also use a single red dot scope at 1x, zeroed at 30 yards. When I bought it scopes with magnification were against the law here so that's what I went with. But I shoot with both eyes open so the 1x actually works best for me. It doesnt have the light gathering abilities of a good rifle scope though, but I've never had a problem hunting with it. But it's lasted for years and hundreds upon hundreds of shots so I stick with it. Given that my maximum shot distance is 40 yards I haven't felt the need for multiple dots or a Hubbell scope on a bow. Just practice at different yardages to learn your holdover or under points.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
michigan man

Post by michigan man »

Kegbelly wrote:I also use a single red dot scope at 1x, zeroed at 30 yards. When I bought it scopes with magnification were against the law here so that's what I went with. But I shoot with both eyes open so the 1x actually works best for me. It doesnt have the light gathering abilities of a good rifle scope though, but I've never had a problem hunting with it. But it's lasted for years and hundreds upon hundreds of shots so I stick with it. Given that my maximum shot distance is 40 yards I haven't felt the need for multiple dots or a Hubbell scope on a bow. Just practice at different yardages to learn your holdover or under points.
Kegbelly, which red dot do you have? Thanks
Micro 335, Leupold VX3 1.5X5, 16" BEE"S, Lumenok, 100 grain Swhacker, 100 grain Wac-Em
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I had a Bushnell Halo site on my exomag and had great trouble during bright sunny days seeing dot even when turned up full. They did have a sunscreen you snapped on but it really was pain and always falling off. I have head good things about aimpoint and sunlight.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Kegbelly, which red dot do you have? Thanks
It's just a inexpensive camo Trueglo red dot but it's worked just fine for me. The only thing I'd like to change is the dot size, I think this might be a 4 MOA dot, I'd like to have one with a 2MOA dot. On a deer <40 yards the dot size doesn't matter, it's only when target shooting I could use a smaller dot.

edit... I've been considering a reflex type red dot sight for my next bow. Light and compact, but they just look so fragile...
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have saw some real nice ones that has great reviews but they ain't cheap. Some cost as much as dang good scopes-$200-$600 fer them
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Burris makes a few excellent red dot scopes, spend the money to make your excal superb.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

With the new Mega model Xbow at 405 fps, I don't see any need for multiple reticles for hunting purposes.

What I'd like to know is which dot scope has the handiest reticle size, dim light performance, battery life, and reticle adjustability for ambient light variations. I only want it for hunting. I want performance, so cost is not the foremost consideration.

Any suggestions, folks?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Hi5 wrote:With the new Mega model Xbow at 405 fps, I don't see any need for multiple reticles for hunting purposes.

What I'd like to know is which dot scope has the handiest reticle size, dim light performance, battery life, and reticle adjustability for ambient light variations. I only want it for hunting. I want performance, so cost is not the foremost consideration.

Any suggestions, folks?

BURRIS
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers