Tiller Problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dash

Tiller Problem

Post by Dash »

Those of you who have had tiller issues, can you say how far was the tiller out when you noticed inaccuracy at longer distance?
I received the 380 end of last year.
It seemed to me one of the rubbers wasn't seated well as it looked slightly further away from the string, and sat at a very slight angle so I changed them out. But after seeing the problem still there, I just measured the string from the riser and see now that the tiller is out. Because of working away lately, I only had only had the chance to shoot the bow at 20 meters, and still haven't been able to check it at longer distance.
vixenmaster

Re: Tiller Problem

Post by vixenmaster »

My original Vixen had a 1/8" right limb tiller problem. All i could do was limit my shots target n game to 40 yds & under. It shot 2" to the left of center at 40 yds & 1 1/2" to the right at 20 yds once i had the scope sighted in. Was most usable fer my deer huntin wid the carved tip limbs. Fer a new Matrix that would be unacceptable fer funds paid!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
strum

Post by strum »

vixenmaster wrote:My original Vixen had a 1/8" right limb tiller problem. All i could do was limit my shots target n game to 40 yds & under. It shot 2" to the left of center at 40 yds & 1 1/2" to the right at 20 yds once i had the scope sighted in. Was most usable fer my deer huntin wid the carved tip limbs. Fer a new Matrix that would be unacceptable fer funds paid!
I agree with Mike.
one thing you may try is swap those limbs around see if its still and issue..Boo suggested this to me once when I had a problem and it worked.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Dash

Post by Dash »

Thanks for the info guys. Its not looking good. Its about 1/8" difference when between measuring from where the bumpers normally sit near the string.
I've had a good run out of the last 3 excal bows, and they're all still going well. But with the 380 I tried to avoid being ripped off the extra $400 by buying locally in Australia, so I bought online from the states. I payed for it last March, then was given a bunch of differing excuses including backorder etc why it wasn't sent, basically given the run around. Then after 6 months of emailing them and getting excuses, it was finally sent off. After my numerous emails to the seller (always with attached customs weapons permit to every email) the seller never attached the permit, so customs seized it! Regardless of the registered post info that shows customs received it, they insisted they didn't have it. After a lot of stress and 6 more weeks later, a customs letter arrived and I finally got to pick it up. About 7 &1/2 months all up since I payed. But now my worst nightmare........... I have deal with the seller and customs all over again to sort this out :shock: :roll: :evil: :cry: :cry: :( :? :roll: :cry:
Excuse me while I cut my wrists :shock:
Ill give the limb swap a go strum when I get over my depression, I just hope I don't round off them damn screws
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Thats friggin brutal, I feel for ya.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I bought my 380 near the end of November. I was shooting about 2" groups at 20 yards (18m) and about 3 1/2" groups at 30 yards. My tiller was out almost 1/8". Like yours, the distance from the bumpers to the string was noticeable to the naked eye. It looked like one wasn't seated properly.
Sorry mate. You may want to contact Excalibur directly and explain your situation with the seller. Xcal's service is excellent and they're great to deal with. Aren't there any dealers/distributors down under?
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Sorry about all your trouble! they say you can,t tune a recurve crossbow ? but I have found lots of little things out on the end of my bows that change things a bit.i know you can have limbs that are not the same . I find by loosing things with the limbs an riser an moving them a little that I can change things a little. always a little room to move things a bit for me on my bows. nothing's a perfect fit that can,t be improved on a little with some squaring an fit.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Bullzeye wrote:Thats friggin brutal, I feel for ya.
No kidding, what a nightmare. The thing to do would be send it back to Excalibur for repair, but you might be in for another headache with the csutoms thing.
This might be a stupid question but would it be possible to shim one limb to match the other?
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Dash

Post by Dash »

Yeah there is an excal dealer here Paul, but the 380 would have cost $400 more locally. Because I bought direct from the USA and not through the local dealer, I don't think he will help me. Kegbelly I thing if the limbs are out it's because different tension on each limb, I would imagine even with equalizing the measurement at rest the limb tension will be different when cocked.
I might contact excal directly and see if I can sort it out directly, before I go ahead and strip screws or something.
After finally getting it in my hands its hard to want to let it go again, but at the same time I want to be confident in its accuracy.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Dash wrote:Yeah there is an excal dealer here Paul, but the 380 would have cost $400 more locally. Because I bought direct from the USA and not through the local dealer, I don't think he will help me. Kegbelly I thing if the limbs are out it's because different tension on each limb, I would imagine even with equalizing the measurement at rest the limb tension will be different when cocked.
I might contact excal directly and see if I can sort it out directly, before I go ahead and strip screws or something.
After finally getting it in my hands its hard to want to let it go again, but at the same time I want to be confident in its accuracy.
I'd go ahead and ask the local Excal dealer if he can help, the worst he can do is say no.
I understand the differing limb tensions, I thought it might hopefully be just an assembly/alignment issue that you could resolve yourself and not go thru the long drawn-out process all over again. I know what it's like to get a new toy and then not be able to play with it. :x
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
GGC

Post by GGC »

I would not base the conclusion on the bumper measurements. If you had the limbs off you would see deflection numbers on them. They are most likely the the same.
Measure from each limb tip to a point as far back on the rail as you can.
Just make sure you are doing the same on each side.
Next, mark the serving with a white out pen. One on each side, close to each side of the rail. When you look down, the dots should be lined up with the left and right side of the rail.
Before you cock the bow, hook the string with the hooks facing up so you can see the dots. Keep the hooks close to the rail and just slide the string to center the dots. When the bow is cocked this way, you are assured the string is centered every time. If that does not help the scope may be a little loose or a bad scope, which happens often enough.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

GGC wrote:I would not base the conclusion on the bumper measurements. .
Agreed

I chased a tiller issue so I thought on my Equinox.
The visually the distance the string was off the bumpers was difference from the right to left side.
So I thought Tiller???
Measured everything but could not find a reason for the difference.
Then it hit me so I removed the Rubber Bumper Pads and place them side by side on a flat surface and discovered that the right pad was just over 1/8 inch taller.

Bought a new set of bumpers but this time did the side by side comparison on a flat surface prior to purchase.
Confirmed too be the same height

Installed

What looked like a Tiller Problem Solved

Post by newbie »

cock the bow for a while then let it off. see how the indents from the latches are in relation to the rail.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
GGC

Post by GGC »

Few more thoughts.
The riser should be tight and square with the barrel. If you can take the string off, check the limb bolts and any others for that matter.
Look at the arrows. If they are the stock arrows and fletching you may have a problem. IMHO the arrows should have a good spin on them. Try quik spins or blazers with a good helical etc. You will definately improve your groups.
GGC
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Dash wrote:Yeah there is an excal dealer here Paul, but the 380 would have cost $400 more locally. Because I bought direct from the USA and not through the local dealer, I don't think he will help me. Kegbelly I thing if the limbs are out it's because different tension on each limb, I would imagine even with equalizing the measurement at rest the limb tension will be different when cocked.
Hey Dash, that makes complete sense about the dealer. Try contacting Excalibur directly and ask them if you should send the bow to them or the dealer. If the dealer won't help you let Excalibur know and go from there...I'm sure sorry for what you're going through Dash and I hope it gets sorted out quickly. Good luck.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.