Almost "screwed" Need Help *edit SUCCESS!!"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Galgo

Almost "screwed" Need Help *edit SUCCESS!!"

Post by Galgo »

I was trying to remove my stirrup to treat it with something to dampen vibration. The bolts were seized pretty good. I managed to get one out but for the life of me could not get the other. I ended up cutting the head off with a dremel tool and I am currently left with about 3/8" of bolt shaft to work with as seen here:

How can I get that screw out without having to drill it and tap it. I don't have that capability. I am afraid to cut a slot in it and to try to remove it with a slotted screw driver because I think there is not enough bolt diameter and it is pretty brittle steel. If i do that and fail I lose that much of my 3/8" to work with. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx
F
Last edited by Galgo on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
one shot scott

Re: Almost "screwed" Need Help

Post by one shot scott »

Apply a lil heat to aluminum and use a vice grip. Make sure it's a good fresh vice grip.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I would remove the limb an a little heat an vice-grips.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

I would try the opposite when it comes to heat.
Take advantage of the extreme cold. (Minus -17 Monday Night)

Put the bow out in the coldest temperature possible for few hours. Then attempt to remove the bolt thread.
The cold should cause the metals too shrink slightly hence possible aid in loosening.
Note: The thermal expansion and contraction of aluminium is double that of steel.

Better yet TRY thermally cycling

Another option is to add slight heat to the bolt thread first (ie soldering iron contact to heat just the thread) then place the crossbow in the extreme cold for rapid cooling after the heat expansion of the bolt thread.
Repeat cycle numermous times before trying to remove thread.

This may even help if loctite is involved
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
strum

Post by strum »

when you get the vise grips clamed on don't just yank on em.
if it moves. then good. work the screw back and forth a few times easy does it.
then go a little more. work that back and forth. after a few regiments of this it will come on out.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
munch

Post by munch »

i think i would do like the others said if you apply heat ,the aluminum will heat faster than the steel and help break the bond maybe even try and shield the bolt from the heat with a piece of tin .if it does not seem to work do it several times ,heat and cool then repeat
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
colouredchameleon

CAUTION

If you chose to heat the aluminium be aware there is a rubber / plastic pad between your limbs and the riser and your S5's .
Melt them and you will only compound your problem. :oops:
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

double post
Last edited by Galgo on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Great info guys thanks. I made a tactical error of not removing the string so I am pretty much stuck with the string and limbs on. I did move the bolt maybe 1/2 turn before it all went to hell and I have some dropped some oil on it in the hopes that it will penetrate. I guess I have to make sure the threads are clean of oil and really crank on the vice grips on as tight as possible. I recall watching an aircraft mechanic remove rusted screws by working them back and forth as you suggested so I will give it a try. Any other suggestions welcomed.

F
colouredchameleon

You could make a temporary stirup out of rope to remove string
Just tie it well
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

colouredchameleon wrote:You could make a temporary stirup out of rope to remove string
Just tie it well
Good point now that I think of it I could reinstall the stirrup with one bolt and remove the string. I know the limb bolts are seized too so I probably will not touch those.
ranger

Post by ranger »

Heat it up and use a left handed drill bit, just take your time to get the bit to grab, maybe start with a smaller bit to get started.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

ranger wrote:Heat it up and use a left handed drill bit, just take your time to get the bit to grab, maybe start with a smaller bit to get started.
Dont know what that is...is that one of those bits meant for bolt removal that cuts into the bolt to grab it?
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

What??? If you heat the bolt, it'll expand in side the aluminium, and make it tighter,'especially of trying to cool the Al at the same time. I would try to make the rope stirup and get the string off, and then the limbs. A little heat on the al, and a good pair of vise grips,'and slowly turn back and forth. If you get to the point that the vise grips won't bite the bolt,and if your not a mechanical guy, I would suggest taking it to either a gun smith (I would think they could help) or a good machine shop. If you go any further than the vise grips, your looking at having to drill out the old bolt,and possibly having to tap, or rethread the hole. If you get off center a little, your drill bit will go into the Al, and then you have major problems.........RR

colouredchameleon wrote:I would try the opposite when it comes to heat.
Take advantage of the extreme cold. (Minus -17 Monday Night)

Put the bow out in the coldest temperature possible for few hours. Then attempt to remove the bolt thread.
The cold should cause the metals too shrink slightly hence possible aid in loosening.
Note: The thermal expansion and contraction of aluminium is double that of steel.

Another option is to add slight heat to the bolt thread first (ie soldering iron contact to heat just the thread) then place the crossbow in the extreme cold for rapid cooling after the heat expansion of the bolt thread.

Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
colouredchameleon

Roadrunnr72 wrote:What??? If you heat the bolt, it'll expand in side the aluminium, and make it tighter,'especially of trying to cool the Al at the same time.
colouredchameleon wrote:

Another option is to add slight heat to the bolt thread first (ie soldering iron contact to heat just the thread) then place the crossbow in the extreme cold for rapid cooling [color=#BF004i0]after the heat expansion of the bolt thread. [/color]

OT

Roadrunnr72 please note bold red sections of what you imply I wrote and what ??? I actually wrote.

Galgo - good luck hope it works out for you
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.