Wild turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinredbreast

Wild turkey

Post by Robinredbreast »

Hi, as we have no wild turkey running round in England so there is no chance of potting one so I can try it, I got to wondering how it compares to farmed turkey such as we have over here, is there any of you tried a comparison, Any big difference in taste or texture between the two? :?:
8ptbuk

Re: Wild turkey

Post by 8ptbuk »

Hi Robin, Ive been turkey hunting for 40 years here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia ( Guiding for 20 of those ) and as far as taste goes The Wild Birds have more flavor but the texture is a little tougher than the farm raised ones . Hope this answers your Questions . :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

Maybe it depend on what they eat but I find them less dry but taste wise they taste like turkey, go figure :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

Boo wrote:Maybe it depend on what they eat but I find them less dry but taste wise they taste like turkey, go figure :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd have never guessed :mrgreen: i need to try turkey hunting again , hopefully with some one who can call . I sound like a turkey that fell out of its roost a few to many times ... :lol:
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Yep, tasty but the drumstick's can be tough. I normally skin em an wrap em in bacon an put a apple or two inside of em. Or marinate and grill em :mrgreen:
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

The only wild turkey I got to try came in a bottle.
Nicer than cough mixture. :D :D :D
Very difficult to find over here and when you do it's expensive.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I filet the breast meat off the bird and cook it in a crock pot . Fileting takes me less ten minutes , fast and easy !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Mmmm. Smoked turkey sandwiches...
Thats the good stuff
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Robinredbreast

Post by Robinredbreast »

Thanks all, it just had me wondering, lousy weather and dark early evenings have me musing over things I wouldn't give a thought to in summer, guess it's the English version of cabin fever :lol: from the input I can guess it's pretty much like the farmed bird in taste, obviously what it's feeding on is going to make a difference, think I'm about ready for another brace of pheasant that's one bird we do have a lot of round here. Might try smoking it as I've never thought of that :D and no I don't mean sucking on its beak and putting a match to its tail :lol: :lol:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

snuffbox wrote:The only wild turkey I got to try came in a bottle.
Nicer than cough mixture. :D :D :D
Very difficult to find over here and when you do it's expensive.
X2

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
lkennard

Post by lkennard »

To me it seems like they are a leaner bird with more dark meat then a regular turkey. There doesn't seem to be as much meat in the legs as a farm bird. However, I usually grill my wild turkey breasts, and think they taste better than a farm turkey!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....can't wait to turkey hunt this spring and hopefuly not only harvest my first...but also harvest one w the M380....

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I thought you meant this:

I'm pretty good at hunting these guys
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Usually the best comparison I have is if you have had a chicken that was not forced . Just the typical scratch and peck at whatever in the barnyard . They tend to have a fuller taste . The dark meat is truly dark .
The same between a domestic and a wild . The wild turkey has a fuller taste . Also not laboratory proven but I don`t get the same bloated feeling as I get from chemically treated turkeys . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Doe Master wrote:Usually the best comparison I have is if you have had a chicken that was not forced . Just the typical scratch and peck at whatever in the barnyard . They tend to have a fuller taste . The dark meat is truly dark .
The same between a domestic and a wild . The wild turkey has a fuller taste . Also not laboratory proven but I don`t get the same bloated feeling as I get from chemically treated turkeys . :shock:
X2.....although the bloated feeling I get from any turkey is strictly from eating too much of it! LOL! :lol:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.