Scope Cant

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinredbreast

Scope Cant

Post by Robinredbreast »

Don't know how many others have tried to fit a spirit level on their crossbows but I'm going to give it a go. I've used them with good effect on my target air rifles and I'm guessing it might help eliminate canting the crossbow when I'm using the mil-dot type 30,40,50,60 markers in the tact-zone, it's surprising how your brain and eyes play tricks on you when your sighting in out in the field, you would swayer your holding it level but when you check the bubble your way off, that means when your using marks off the zero your point of impact will be left or right of where you want to be, before I started using the levels I blamed myself and wind drift for all of the misses when it turned out to be cant, "well some of them" :oops: the thing is I only have the levels that fit on dovetail rail so I need to get a small piece of alloy cut to accept the level, only a small square. Then drill and thread the bottom and fit a threaded bolt and I was thinking of putting it in the left hand hole on the tiller/riser where the other type of quiver can be installed. Then just a soft washer and nut underneath to hold it. Not sure how it will stand up to the recoil but I'm going to give it a go as I have a spare level laying round. Just a thought I wanted to share with you all. It may or may not be of use or interest on a crossbow and only really comes into play over longer distance which hunting doesn't allow. But as I'm only allowed to hunt 3D targets over here it may make a difference.
snuffbox

Re: Scope Cant

Post by snuffbox »

Robin you may get errors from not having your eye properly lined up with the centre of the scope.
I use a lens cover called an Accucover,google it or look on eBay.
It really does help getting your eye lined up and eliminating error.
http://www.accucover.com/
Robinredbreast

Post by Robinredbreast »

Yes I know eye alignment is important that's why I have the custom cheek pieces on my field target guns to help me get my face up against the stock at the same point every time but scope cant is a different thing from that, thanks for the advice though, oh and on the cover you mention the field target association have banned them in competition though I don't understand why?
Tried to make one for myself out of a spare scope cover but I didn't have much luck with it. :? :? Don't want to bring air guns into the topic so nuff said by me on that it was just a little thought bubble I had about cant, it might not have the same affect on crossbow but I would guess it will, not checked on Google if there is any info explaining scope cant effect but I would imagine there is
Robinredbreast

Post by Robinredbreast »

Hey snuffbox just noticed your cool picture, we had a bulldog when we first got married, Samson we called him. Great character do you by chance have one?
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

That was Lovely Lola.
Sadly she passed away last year,she wasn't mine,but a friends.
You couldn't help,but fall in love with her.
My friend has now got another one that he bought as a pup.
Must say I really miss her :(
Robinredbreast

Post by Robinredbreast »

I know that feeling only too well, I have been devastated when mine have passed on, not had a dog for nigh on 10 years now but we had them for 30, I miss them more than my wife does but then I did all the walking and training so you do get more attached, had some great times and lots of laughs too, ile remember that instead :D
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Check out Cir-Cut Archery. They have a sight level for compounds that I put on my riser. It's a stick on and works perfectly. Very inexpensive and weighs nothing. I shoot right handed so I stuck it in front of the left bumper so I can see my crosshairs in my right eye and the level with my left eye at the same time.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

Danny Miller sells a level that is held on with double sided 3m tape.
Buy some double sided tape and use your old one.

Bucktail
Matrix 355 Tact-Zone TriggerTech ADF Laser11 Pro 385gr 100 gr WaspBoss 18in Diablos 150gr Boltcutter Dan Miller R.E.D.S .

ExoMax Vari-zone S5 18in Laser11 18in 2219 100gr WaspBoss

Phoenix Shadow-Zone ADF S5 18in Laser11 100gr WaspBoss
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

This is what I put on my Exocet:

Bob

http://www.mwgco.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S ... gory_Code=
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire