Hunting With A Dot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Olmanstand

Hunting With A Dot

Post by Olmanstand »

Just wondering who or how many hunt / have hunted with some sort of single dot sight. The idea has several advantages, some disadvantages. I have used them in the past on rifles, but haven't sat in a climber 'til dark with one.

Slapped a C -More on my ibex just for fun and was surprised at groups 8)
Nox & Max, Xcaliber Strings, Vixenmaster Strings, Dynaflight String, Munch Mounts, S5's, Nikon Bolt XRs, VPAs & Montecs, Big John Custom & 2216 Arrows
vixenmaster

Re: Hunting With A Dot

Post by vixenmaster »

I have used them & i do like them. I seldom hunt til dark, mostly hunt mornin's
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

I use one and I like it. Very accurate! Just remember to always carry extra batteries...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
massbow

Post by massbow »

the thought of epic battery failure haunts me! :shock: :shock: :shock: Like the feature on the tach zone BUT it works with out power
Team 355
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Battery failure's always a possibility. I put a new one in the day before opening day and keep a new spare in my bag attached to the stock. Knock on wood I haven't had one fail yet. I dont leave the scope on the whole time I hunt.
I like mine, it's a 1X single dot zeroed at 30 yards. No extra dots to clutter the view or risk shooting the wrong dot, and its short and light, it doesn't hang way out over the rail so it's not bouncing around when I shoot. JMO but the maximum distance I'll take a shot is about 40 yards, so I don't need or want 50 and 60 yard dots.
There's some interesting reading on different types of red dots and how they work here:
http://ultimak.com/UnderstandingE-sights.htm
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Kegbelly be right. I always have an extra battery & i don't turn mine on til i see a deer. Keeps my outfit light
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

I only use a single dot. for me the reason is I tend to get the dots confused on sights with multiple dots and use the wrong one for the correct distance shooting. luckily I realized/learned this while shooting at targets. I limit my shots to 35 yards when hunting so for me there is no need for more then one dot, I am sighted dead on at 25 yards. some say battery failure is possible, I agree but it is also "possible" to forget your hunting arrows on your way to the stand :!: :D I shoot all summer long with last years battery then change to new battery the day before season and after 14 years of using single dot sight I have yet to have an issue but it is "possible"
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I di for the first two years but gave it up becasue with mu bad eye site I needed the magnification and light gathering capability of a good (magnified) scope
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

I've used them a lot in the past on rifles & carbines. All different kinds. Had a Eotech 512 that died at a range one time, had batteries in the grip, but glad my target wasn't shooting back, or it wasn't a 12 point broadside ! To its credit, that 512 seen a lot of rounds down range. Even had a aimpoint micro, but it was not my fav...

A light red dot on a excal sure lightens them bows up, heck I may hog and turkey hunt with the dot this spring.
Nox & Max, Xcaliber Strings, Vixenmaster Strings, Dynaflight String, Munch Mounts, S5's, Nikon Bolt XRs, VPAs & Montecs, Big John Custom & 2216 Arrows
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Galgo wrote:I di for the first two years but gave it up becasue with mu bad eye site I needed the magnification and light gathering capability of a good (magnified) scope

I don't know about you, but I'm kind of a Mr. Magoo sort squinting and peering around, especially in dim light. I'd like to switch to a single dot sight, though.

What type did you try?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
gavel

Post by gavel »

I use a red/green dot sight which is sighted in at 25 yards and shoots within 2 inches at 20 and 30 yards.

I wrap an extra battery in plastic and tape it to the stock (at the butt end) with camo tape. That way I always have a spare when i take the xbow out. Never had a problem with a battery and I don't turn it on until I'm ready to shoot. I do turn it on to check it when I get on post.

Shot a few deer with it and it works well with bifocals.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

right now i am playing with a xbow eotech .havnt had a chnce to hunt with it yet but so far i am likeing it but this has more than one dot. i am looking for a single dot for my 380.so far i found the cheaper ones to be to fuzzy but i have old eyes
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

I've used a bunch of dots, and now Ive come to like the c-more railways. Though strange at first, what really sets them apart is the very clear & precise (2moa) dot. I can make consistent hits with both eyes open, but the real deal is how they perform in rainy / foggy weather. Jury still out on that one.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Hi5 wrote:
What type did you try?
Hi Hi.

I used a Tasco and a have had some experience with another brand which eludes me. I'd say middle of the line hollow sites but I will never go back.
frisky

Post by frisky »

I had one on my first Cross bow. Loved it early morning and late evening. I had trouble seeing the dot during the day , with bright sunshine. Snow did not help any either.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting