Increased range with 405?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

Re: Increased range with 405?

Post by Kegbelly »

vixenmaster wrote: That is the very reason i use n hunt wid Excals fastest model he Vixen :)
:lol: :lol: Tick toters beware!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

Its an interesting debate...

I've taken two deer past 50 yards with my Exomax and I have never wounded and not recovered a deer with a bow or crossbow. I can respect the fact some people don't shoot past 30, but if I get a 405 I will not be concerned with a longer shot under the right conditions. I practice from 80-100 yards regularly in the offseason and can make a 50 yard shot sleeping under the right conditions...that means no 60 knot winds with an alert deer through the brush. :)
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Sorry I don't believe in string jump :mrgreen: I like the mph approach on this, 350 fps= 238mph, no deer is going to jump,duck, or side step a well placed arrow at 30yds at this speed,I've shot them just under 40yds with my max and they just stood there wondering what just happened took a couple steps died. 400fps = what in mph,of course got to sell items to make the bow quite or the deer will jump the string at this speed also what do you think? To me what is called string jump at this distance [30yds] is a miss or near miss in the making from the start. My advice if your not sure about the shot then don't take it and you won't be saying the deer jumped the string because of a miss or worst yet a wounded deer running off that won't be found until next day maybe.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

String jump or what ppl. call it. I have saw many deer in my Bowhuntin thru the yrs move, but its not from string noise. Somtimes the vanes/feathers will make abit of noise & the deer hears it jus a few yds before arrow impact & they move cause they are not used to that sound close to them. They think its danger & it is & they try to load up to jump. TOO LATE :lol: The few times i shot n missed a deer it weren't the deer bein fast droppin & they are fast but more of my misjudgin the yardage :(
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Boo wrote:I think these ranges would be more correctly called "possible maximum theoretic range in a vacuum".
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now that made me laugh. But what I was trying to go after was this....

If you have a certain bow and have been hunting with it for some time and know your effective range.......then by using a new bow that is faster, you should be able to increase your range to some degree.

In my case I have a Vortex = 330fps. 30yds is about my limit, and at 35yds I would have to have the stars aligned and be holdin' my lip just right to pull the trigger. But if I upgraded to the 405, I'd be very comfortable if a 35yd shot presented itself.

However.....again, I will pull out the "actual deer shot distances data" that says 32/36 deer this year shot by members of this forum were 20yds and under. So mostly this is just fun stuff. :D

What I have also found to be true in the Midwest and NC, is that the only places I hunt where I can shoot over 30 yds are places I do no see bucks in. Buck are in the thick stuff and usually at 20 yds you only get a soccer ball sized hole to shoot through, like Mike says.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><